Were Mechagnomes a test?

In my others post i too think they are better suits for to be sets of customization.

But we are talking mechagnomes

I can’t tell if I love them or despise them

Eh. Some people love them. Some hate them. Given that gnomes are niche, I wouldn’t be surprised if you hated them, but they aren’t in game anyway. Though something like the goblin may exist in lore somewhere.

I only dislike male gnomes and thats because of their freakish noses

Imagine if they’d done something like Modifications - Head, Arm, Leg.

BUT it was a choice of which leg was mechanized, and in what way. And same with arm, which arm was mechanized and in what way. And then the head … they gave us some good combos though a few were oversized in unpleasant ways.

I mean, the arm and leg customizations that we DID get were so lackluster it feels like they gave up halfway on making the race feel interesting.

I disagree in regards of Nightbornes and Ren’doreis.

They were different skeletons, that they added to a factuon that lacked those skeletons rigs and animation. That to me is enough to made them different

I said vulpera are reskinned goblins, but they’re also biologically a whole new race, and that fact makes Alliance players even madder about getting a gnome subrace. I thought I outlined that simply enough.

Like I said about sethrak, people who wanted Alliance-aligned vulpera were setting themselves up for disappointment. Since the race had a Horde-only rep from the very beginning and the only interaction Alliance players had with them in Kul Tiras was with the Bilge Rats, that was a war that they lost before it even began.

There are no “wastes” of allied race “slots” when the bar was set so low right off the bat. I used to think the same thing about gilgoblins, but now I realize that’s kinda unfair and they definitely would’ve been the goblin AR had vulpera not been introduced beforehand.
And like I said above, calling one of the few allied races that isn’t a recolor a recolor anyway is extremely disingenuous.

1 Like

yeah i could definitely see that for lightforged and highmountain tauren. both are demonstrated quite clearly that they are forms that can be attained, through either passing a trial (in the lightforged’s case) and by a blessing (as shown through some of the highmountain storyline).

besides the mechanical augmentation i see no real difference between the gnomes of mechagon and the gnomes of gnomeregan. really, it’s to the point where you would be hard pressed to call them a sub-race in the same way you could with the zandalari, the dark iron, and the maghar.

If I put a metal trash can on my head, a new race has not just been created.

Diaper gnomes are gnomes with some metal. If Blizz is going to steal the borg idea from Star Trek, at least don’t make them look horrible.

1 Like

I used to think the same thing about gilgoblins, but now I realize that’s kinda unfair and they definitely would’ve been the goblin AR had vulpera not been introduced beforehand.

They have a lot of potential many don’t quite realize.

At this point Obliveon is just trolling.

1 Like

I see little potential in midget borg rip offs that wear trash cans and proclaim themselves a new race.

Sadly a lot of missed potential. The four limbs I think was the biggest reason many don’t like them. I think asymetrical design for their limbs would have made them stand out better. I mean, there are shoulder pieces that are asymetrical.

But, we can always hope they go back and look at where they went wrong. They did it with Worgens! Shame they still havent given Worgen the option to stand up straight. Ruins many mogs on the male Worgen as a result.

I will admit when they got announced I was hoping we would be able to mix and match.
I’m up for them making it so that can be done.
I just never want mechagnomes to have the option to have all 4 limbs be normal.

That’s a given. I mean, they should look different from regular Gnomes. Of course there are lots of ways you could show the mechanization. Beyond entire limb replacement. It would require some intelligent design however.

it is but I’m not sure how to do it nicely because I also think just one robot arm being the only mecha thing would look really cool

There were facial options that I think would have worked. Like oh, the half robotic face. Instead we got ear, jaw, eye.

But, we can always hope they return and add extra options to really make them stand out. I mean, they returned to Worgen! Just hopefully it doesn’t take them as long to return to the race as it did with Worgen!

1 Like

I’m hopeful for like a 9.2 look at allied race options like they’ve done with core races for launch

No, now they are adding to character customization to races, Tauren has more options then high mountain Tauren which are exactly like a Tauren lol. Waste.
They could’ve made, Ogres, Sethrak,Hozen, Tuskar, Skinny Kultiran, etc., you know actually new races

The point of allied races is that they’re not new races, but like hundreds of others, you’ve missed that entirely.

Then you have the audacity to say that another type of humans that are also reskinned fem undead are a new race, lmao.

2 Likes

To be fair I really think there would be less outrage for skinny kul tirans simply because they’re not gnomes. People always hated gnomes since vanilla.
That said the gnomes needed to get some love, they haven’t received anything since cata with the remake of the world.
And mechagon and mechagnomes filled that need to get something, They didn’t come out of thin air either, we’ve heard about mechagon for a long time, at BFA launch we was teased that something had happened with the gnomes of kul tiras as they’ve gone missing, new gnome environment assets like cogs etc, datamined stuff for a gnome island back in beta and the nail in the coffin was the reveal of the mechagnomes and mechagon back during blizzcon 2018.

Mechagnomes also fit the style of most other ARs as being just slightly different.
HM tauren are just antlers and less classes pretty much, their horn options even exist in the regular tauren files as during legion HM tauren didn’t have a seperate model they used, LF draenei is just skin colours, horns and less classes.
They upped their game with some variations of the core races though like dark iron dwarves, giving them dark tattoos and fiery hair.
Mechagnomes got new more robotic animations and robo parts on their head and being able to pick if the thickness of your robo-limbs.

I’m surprised that anyone after 2018 didn’t see mechagnomes coming. They simply fit all criteria and we had a lot of hints. I think it’s simply due to them hating gnomes, and in that case, then any gnome AR would not have made them happy.

1 Like