Were Mechagnomes a test?

Yeah, kinda like blood elves, right? Alliance oriented, then all of a sudden they are offended at one alliance person and switch to horde.

2 Likes

I keep meaning to finish the work to unlock the Vulpera. Even though I don’t main Horde.

1 Like

I think the Vulpera/Mechagnome AR pair was intended as a test.

Both genders of Vulpera use the same base skeleton, and Mechagnomes do not show all pieces of armor for transmog. Sets a precedent for races not needing clear gender differences at the base model level, and not using all transmog slots.

I guess its a grey area.
They’re certainly a copy paste race like the rest of the allied races.
But visually and lore wise they are distinct.

that was set up in the RTS though.
Not the horde part but the not alliance part.

It didn’t come from nothing.

But thats here nor there since this isn’t a horde bias thread.

Nope another recolor waste of an allied race slot. Like actually having a new race.

1 Like

I’ve unlocked them. They are pretty cute, but I mostly play goblins and gnomes and I am already focused on this character and my goblin shaman for this expansion. Maybe in Shadowlands.

For shadowlands I’m having a Vulpera, a mechagnome, a void elf, and a blood elf.

2 Likes

In that … having a race without clear gender differences … its been done in fantasy before. Where you have races that function differently in that regard. But its not like a system they can easily convert. Unless you were thinking about from the aspect of skeletal rigging. But they’d still need to create the skins they wear, which takes a lot of work. Because you have to make sure the skin properly works when attached to the skeleton.

I know its more complex than that (not a programmer) but if that’s what you were thinking of … it could make for more options for races. And maybe more options for the existing races.

Like oh … Skinny Kul’tirans perhaps?

Death knights pop is probably going go up cause of the theme of shadowlands.

You can’t really compare a group of gnomes that augmented themselves with a racial evolution. Lightforged Draenei is yet another example just like Mechagnomes, as they “wear” this condition (permanently). Void Elves could be another example, but the only reason why they aren’t is because they are in a different faction.

That is indeed what I meant. Same rig. Apologies if that was unclear.

DK mechagnome is the best and everyone should play one.
Its a zombie cyborg. There is literally nothing there not to love.

1 Like

That’s what my mechagnome is. I’d never done Unholy, so figured “I’ll learn how to play unholy, something to do between now and launch”.

It’s … different. Still capable, just way different from what I’m used to, which is Frost DK.

1 Like

And I think you can use a leper gnome skin as a mechagnome DH. Fits nicely with the themes.

I so wish this was a real thing

I dont hate mechagnomes because they sont wear pants. I just hate them because your scrap pieces made a lot mire sense as an unlockable set of customuzation for regular gnomes.

I would like a regurlar gnome with one mechahand, or one mecha leg. And 4 as option

Ah, and heads

Not full 4 extremities mecha

Ok … that would have been awesome. Except that we had far too few customization options. I don’t even recall having the deathly pallor skin tones for mechagnomes. Kind of feels like they never properly finished the customization options for the race.

I still think having them as one arm and one leg would have worked better from a visual perspective. Maybe not symetrical perhaps, but I think it would have worked out and made the armor look more unique and appealing.

unlike HM tauren and LF draenei which are totally not just customisation options.
Void elves are just customisation options but given to the other faction.

Nightborne are just customisation options given to the other faction (they shouldn’t be, but blizzard did a really poor job on their models so here we are)

Maghar literally is just skin colours. Totally just customisation options.

KT human, and Vulpera are the only 2 allied races that can’t be boiled down to just being customisation.

2 Likes

Type oops, but there is something.

Hardly cannon, but there is a cyberpunk techno Dh gnome in this video. This was the first class concept project I did.