Were Mechagnomes a test?

Every decision is met with both praise and contempt. WoW has a wide audience.

4 Likes

Mechagnomes were clearly intentional and there was a lot of love put into them. You can tell this immediately from sheer amount of effort put into the Mechagon inself. They had concept images and were excited to share them with people. I believe that the main reason why people are so hostile to mechagnomes on the forums is because they are niche. Gnomes already were and many people here were campaigning for other things to be added to the game. Most people who don’t even visit the forums are just happy to get new content.

13 Likes

stupid question. What zone is that quest chain?

They are starting to give us shoes for our two toed and hooved races, but I think only for plate wearers so far.

My mind is a bit fuzzy, but I think some are in Boren Tundra (can’t fully remember on this one) but the whole Mechagnome guys come from The Storm Peaks and Ulduar.

I think there was engagement in Storm Peaks as well. There was a place where you sort of went inside a mountain and it was all Titan stuff and a few Mechagnomes, if I recall.

It’s been so long.

I think mechagnomes artwork was more likely because artists really, really liked their mechanical limbs than some part of a xmog test.

Non-traditional? They’re gnomes… with a couple of gears here and there that you (in many cases) can’t even see.

The only thing more unimpressive is the Highmountain Tauren, which are just Tauren with moose-antlers. WHOOOOP DEEEE DOOOOOO. We didn’t need a whole entire new “race” for that.

The whole “allied races” just makes me twist with how utterly unoriginal and phone-ed in it is. Not just Draenai … LIGHTFORGED Draenai!!!

What a freaking JOKE!

7 Likes

I appreciate both. These were sub races that I had been longing to see since the earlier days of WoW.

It goes to show how different players can hold different wants and needs.

Just seems your bar is too low.

Add the Highmountain zone for what you are describing. Fine.

If you’re going to add a whole new race, have it be DIFFERENT.

Highmountain Tauren should have just been a barbershop, COSMETIC OPTION, not a whole new race. Because that’s all it is: a tauren with bigger antlers.

Naga? That’s different.
Tuskarr? That’s different.

And the whole “same or different” argument aside, it was something the game absolutely didn’t need. Explore new places and dungeon crawl with my Arms Warrior, or your w/e Shaman… how is ANY of that different on a different race? My Orc does the same Mortal Strike as my Tauren, as my Highmountain Tauren, as my Void Elf, as all of them.

We didn’t need “allied races.” We needed a better overall GAME. The introduction of allied races as some sort of “content” is pathetic.

2 Likes

I don’t transmog, wonder how many people don’t care about xmog

This may be where your expectations differ with mine. They are a sub race, not an entire new one.

1 Like

thank you :^)

The only people who failed were the people at Blizzard who thought the steaming hot garbage that is Mechagnomes was in any way acceptable.

13 Likes

The mechgnomes in Northrend looked a little different though, they look more like a Bling-A-Tron. Omg that would have been a cool skin for them :joy:

6 Likes

I have a mechagnome hunter with the supervolt zapper, and I really like him despite the lack of mogs. I’d take a creep race, my favorite being makrura, that use no armor in a traditional way, as long as there was some form of customization. In the case of makrura let them wear amulets and have lots of shell options, it’d be about the same as a mechagnome believe it or not.

Meh they just need a option to have no flesh and be full mechanical.

I like what we already have with them but i think they would be a fantastic archetype this way.

2 Likes

In a game that is flailing to regain its footing: we didn’t need a new race; we didn’t need a new sub-race (something that didn’t even exist in the first place, thus my emphasis on what a wasted effort it was to introduce a sub-anything when the super-position of that didn’t need more of it to begin with).

Most importantly, I’m sure this sounds like I’m taking some issue with what YOU like in the game. Text is often confusing like that. My position isn’t against you and what you like (as you said, we all like different things), my position is against Blizzard.

That may seem subtle, but to me it’s an important distinction.

Mechagnomes and regular gnomes are pretty much the same. The arms and legs were most likely done that way to force some sort of differentiation between them so it could be justified in calling them a separate race.

Kind of like slapping antlers on a Tauren and calling it a day.

1 Like

This is disappointing. I always enjoy speaking to other Mechagnome Warlocks. Still Scruit I wouldn’t want you to regret mechanization and grow dissatisfied as a result.

6 Likes