Were Mechagnomes a test?

Mechagnomes also have entirely new idle and emote animations, which actually makes them one of the allied races with the most effort put into them compared to highmountain, mag’har, lightforged, dark irons, and void elves, which are just simple reskins. Animation is significantly more costly and time-consuming than modeling, especially when most of the models are built on existing skeletons.

4 Likes

Except they’re just drones.

I’d enjoy that. Probably not for this toon but one of my others.

I know for a fact many mechagnome fans would appreciate it.

3 Likes

If it was a test (and I doubt it was because the reaction of the players was very obvious and the faction chosen as the guinea pig was very carefully chosen) it was clear that the answer was very negative.

And nobody would stop playing warcraft. They would just look for something better, like vulperas, in the horde, as recommended.
One more reason to avoid the alliance.

Imagine all this work applied to something that most people really wanted with emotion.

4 Likes

I think the bigger issue is the general lackluster options of Allied Races overall. I mean, prior to Mechagnomes, we had Kul Tirans. Kul Tirans are not a popular race by any stretch of the imagination. Even passing up the, “Oh lawd he comin’,” jokes, they’re just humans. Just humans. They’re not half-drust, or Vykrul, they’re just humans, and the only difference between them and playable humans is that they can’t put down the sausage.

I imagine if the Alliance’s Allied Races were High Elves, Broken/Krokuul, Dark Iron Dwarves, and Vykrul, that there would’ve been immensely less hostility towards Mechagnomes. I think another problem though, is that they were paired with the Vulpera, a race many more players were interested in.

Mechagnomes could’ve avoided so much stigma if they’d been paired with something like Mag’har or Highmountain Tauren, and the Alliance’s other Allied Races were actually races Alliance players asked for.

14 Likes

Look, one of the 8 players that actually play a diaper gnome.

Rare, that.

5 Likes

What is so bad with the mecha gnomes?

Yes, eating cake nonstop to get as fat as a Kul Tiran is hard work.

In a nutshell.

2 Likes

Or even better. Gilgoblins.

1 Like

Imagine being happy for the people who like playing them.

4 Likes

Mechagnomes in theory are a great idea… Just NOT for an actual race, because they are literally regular gnomes with augments…

If the robotic parts were unlockable via a quest, like the Night Warrior, it would be amazing, because people could opt out for the diaper situation while keeping for example, robot arms.

And all of the cool hairstyles could be added to regular gnomes.

6 Likes

Mechagnomes were a tease for the cyborg belves in 10.0

Fantasy-girl-cyborg-sci-fi-picture-m

1 Like

That’s actually what I wanted, but I still got something close. I think the heritage armor is almost a skin. There’s zero flesh showing on my Mechagnome.

Would be cool if Blizz increased the mechanical options. How about a buzzsaw or hook instead of a hand? Or roller feet?

This is Dremin to show the heritage armor.

1 Like

As a whole? No. Some enjoy mechagnomes. Personally, I dislike the pants looking like a diaper and such, so I stick with regular gnomes.

1 Like

But Brasswidget, you are asking to much of these people. They like to restlessly crap on things that they did as low quality on their eyes.

Mechagnomes in theory are a great idea… Just NOT for an actual race, because they are literally regular gnomes with augments…

If the robotic parts were unlockable via a quest, like the Night Warrior, it would be amazing, because people could opt out for the diaper situation while keeping for example, robot arms.

And all of the cool hairstyles could be added to regular gnomes.

They make a great race. It is more so that blizzard hasn’t exactly been that clear on what allied races are supposed to be. If they said that it was a system for subraces, people would accept it as such even though they wouldn’t necessarily be happy. However people wanting something else got upset when they didn’t happen.

3 Likes

It’s honestly not about the loss of the transmog slot for me. I mean, I don’t LIKE the mechanical legs being forced on us, but alone that would be fine.

They didn’t remove the slot. They kept it…and it looks like a baggy diaper.

THAT is what I didn’t like, and I’ve solved it by keeping my mechagnome in a plate skirt mog so I can just skip that whole mess.

1 Like

It was a test to see what they could get away with the Alliance players and still have them subbed.

6 Likes

I think it should be a look you can achieve through the character creator.

There is a lot of potential customization in customizing a robot and their specific parts.

Borean Tundra, the airstrip area with gnome airplanes. Was a fun bunch of quests.