Welp, Skyfury is dead

Yeah, shards are not a solution for Classic. You want that sort of thing, go to retail.

1 Like

Did you even read the conversation.

And what is that solution? That’s what I’m asking.

Ok, so if it exists, you should be able to tell me what it is, right? So what is the technology that Blizzard should use, that’s better than what they currently use?

What is the technology? What new code and new structure would be needed for it?

Ok, but how many players does Rift have? Are their servers client side? Are they secure? These are all questions you need to answer before making a comparison.

This is getting ridiculous though. People are already trying to
jump servers in time and are starting to get split up because of the locks.

So what next? After Angerforge reaches a threshold they’ll lock again? We are literally going right back to square one where we’ll have dozens of servers that we don’t need and it’ll be all dead.
This entire transfer thing has been a S-show.

2 Likes

Rift was very popular before they ruined it with cash shop f2p stuff. I think it was vastly better than WoW in every way.

It had about 1mill players or so.

I mean come on… Google has servers capable of having a billion visitors a day. I understand there are vast differences… but the technology exists to have more than 15k people connected to a single server at a time.

The issue is the way WoW is built, its not built to just “add more hardware” due to the way the AH, chat, grouping, etc is built.

It would take a decade and millions upon millions of dollars to fix. Its not feasible.

1 Like

What a bad comparison. Do you have any idea how many servers Google has to handle just the search engine?

E: Let me rephrase that, do you have any idea how many warehouses full of servers Google has to handle just the search engine?

Why did it die then? You think Blizzard should use what a dead game uses? Why? So Classic can die too?

What servers are those? How well would they work for WoW?

What about the way that WoW is built prevents them from doing that?

They need to open more servers and connect low pops via sharding. Force the mega realms apart. A healthy server should be 5-6k horde and 5-6k alliance, or 12k players.

this is asking an impossible question and not a valid argument. What are you expecting him to do? write out the code for you right here in the comment section. People can’t even be sure what blizzards code is or their hardware. What they CAN be sure of is that the sollution to these problems exist and that the reason for not solving them is based completely on $$$

I mean come on… we are building rockets that can go to mars, come back, and land on their own.

you actually believe they cant build a server where more than 15k people can connect at a single time? Like technology hasnt changed at all in the last 10 years?

Kek to the W

1 Like

Greed.
Cash shop gear.
Poor management from its parent company.

Just because something died doesn’t mean it didn’t do some things better

Nobody but Blizzard developers can answer this question.

They have stated somewhere just the way chat and the AH interacts with the actual game… There are massive limitations in those interactions.

They were definitely wrong to say “there is no technological answer” well they were half wrong.

There absolutely is an answer… but it would take 5+ years and millions upon millions to fix and correct. The juice just aint worth the squeeze.

I’ll do my share of armchair engineering here and say that AH should not ever be an issue. Then again, I don’t have the data.

So, let me get this straight. Someone makes claims about “technology being out there” but it requires “new code and structure”. And so I press them on that, and it’s an “impossible question”? Is it impossible or are you just unable to answer it because you aren’t that familiar with what you’re talking about?

Elaborate and back up his claims. Do you believe that to be unfair?

Elaborate more beyond some vague mention of “code” and “structure”.

That’s right, so why do you assume there’s better stuff out there?

How can you know that if you don’t even know what technology is out there nor what technology Blizzard uses?

You’re not answering my questions. My questions again:

What technology is it?

Couldn’t have done anything that much better if the game is completely dead within a few months.

Who said it died in months? Rift is old.
It died middle of its first xpac

Look up Volan Event on YouTube, those were the world boss events. Every day something to do.
Look up planebreaker bastion Inyr’Kta

I did.

It died a few weeks after launch as the hype of the new “WoW killer” died down. It was completely dead after only a few months. Blizzard should not follow anything that game did. Clearly, it didn’t work.

That’s just untrue, but okay.

Private servers made it work better than blizzard does…from their basements in russia no less, and this was several years ago. It is 100% possible.