Weird thought: What if shared subs & layering is Blizzard protecting Classic?

May 16th? There are news articles and reddit posts dating may 15th and earlier that says you’re wrong.

It really doesn’t matter whether or not I’m wrong. May 16 was the earliest ones I found in my quick look, but let’s pretend that you’re right.

I am the person who wrote the quoted post. I remember it. I can tell you that I was not thinking about layering at the time.

It’s not about layering.

Layering was a marketing silver bullet by Blizzard. To the retail players, “Layering will make it so that you won’t have to fight for mobs in quests”. For the Vanilla fans or whatever you want to call them, “Layer is a necessary evil that will prevent server merges”. And also for Vanilla fans and the Classic management team, “We created a brand new technology called ‘Layering’ just for Classic”.

Oh and it protects Blizzard so they can re-use sharding and make it seem like they’re doing everything they can to make Classic.

Layering protects everyone.

Side note:

Wonderful thread, would lol again. This one really has it all.

Yeah, yeah, that wasn’t even the nature of the discussion. It was more about whether the token is still essential to combating gold farmers or if Blizzard’s ability to police them without decriminalizing a black market (which is, on the contrary, usually the best approach in real-world economies; see: weed) will be effective. Thanks for your virtue-signaling, though. It really added a lot of substance.

1 Like

face palm

Are people really that lacking as to not understand that the layering has ALWAYS been the laziest form of population control for the launch of Classic?

So what you’re saying is:

“When I’m the only person arguing something, and everyone else thinks I’m wrong… clearly its an unfair fight”

Ah huh. Maybe, just maybe, your opinion stinks.

Your saying a business that has been selling their 6 month subs with mounts who have driven their mmorpg community out with anti-mmo and anti-rpg systems and promoted developers who made garrisons/pet battles/island expeditions/pet battle dungeons is all of sudden going to go against every behavior pattern for 12 years… It is counter intuitive to every behavior documented.

I didn’t ask for tourist protection… I don’t need to be sharded away from 70% of my server population and I don’t want it.

Your not protecting me and given 1.12 itemization, botched spell batching system, and leeway mechanics I’m not sure you know whats better for me then I do, considering I’ve been playing this game for the past 8 years and blizzard fired the CM’s they contracted to play pservers prior to classic wow.

Their listening to the opinions of a few streamers who I believe alter their opinions for a good relationship with blizzard. Which makes sense it’s their paycheck and a bad relationship with blizzard would effect that but it is for that reason they do not represent the community as much as they would like to believe or blizzard believes them to.

How did I miss this epic thread for the last three days? :popcorn:

True to form, even banter is thoroughly torn to shreds. In just about any other context, I would simply point out that dissecting a joke tends to ruin it, or perhaps ask you if your cybernetic augmentation is preventing you from detecting sarcasm or a jocular tone. But, sufficed to say, interpreting an homage (however back-handed) as the beginning of yet another battle to the death on the forum for a video game is simultaneously meta and in keeping with your character. Well done. :wink:

I don’t think Acti-Blizz micro-manages to that degree. I think Blizzard has their own financial people who pay attention to consumer habits/trends and customer input and make decisions accordingly on how they’ll monetize their game. Mounts and level boosts aren’t created in a vacuum; they exist at least in part because people who play this game wanted them.

As to the shared sub…I don’t know that the motives are quite that altruistic. I do believe that the overwhelming majority of AB’s major stakeholders don’t care for the specifics nearly as much as people on these forums do. They just want to see that things are trending up and that their investment is solid. Arguing about which version is doing the heavy lifting is the sort of thing players care about when they’re having their junk-measuring contests on forums.

As for layering, I don’t buy it. It’s incredibly easy to add realms; it’s significantly less easy to take them away once communities, no matter how small, have been established on them. They say layering is going away before Phase 2 hits and I take their word on that.

If you actually meant that as a joke, it was a bad one. Homage? I’d hate to be one of your idols.

Oh, but you are! I love how you savagely dismantle all opposition in mere seconds. It’s entertaining to watch. I don’t know how someone already filled with seething hatred is going to detect even more piled on as a result of being idolized by me, but I await the sharp reply detailing precisely that!

(Skips off to the break room to make popcorn.)

They aren’t going to server merge. Unique names, unique guilds, unique sevrer achievements/titles, etc.

Dude you are an embarrassment. It’s kinda sad.

So are you to your parents but what difference does that make?

I know you are, but what am I?

Indeed. Dude needs to learn to hold that L instead of making things worse.