"We won't merge because you'll lose your names"

No I know… Again, xfers ruined the ream I played on for 2 years… But at this point that damage is done and there’s no real undoing it, nor is it likely to be made worse by allowing free xfers going forward.

1 Like

This conversation is two-year late. They should have had a vision when started the Classic project.

Layers could help, the removal of PVE to PVP transfer could also help

2 Likes

They should have done a lot of things early on.

Layered heavily instead of creating too many realms. Faction and realm locked character creation to keep things balanced etc…

2 Likes

That I agree with… I mean… even if you wanted to merge servers now… looking at populations I still dont see any way it really improves much. If you merge all the US east/west servers into one big one you end up with a 90% horde server with 3k alliance who will almost all immediately xfer off to Bene… I guess it improves life if you’re horde on a low pop server… but for pretty much everyone else mergers do basically nothing

ROFL that didn’t age well.

1 Like

Some of these low pop servers are just wild… I logged into a couple just now and I was literally the only person playing on the entire faction… I mean at some point Blizzard has to do something… No matter how cheap the servers are to run it still can’t be cost effective to be running a dozen servers for a grand total of 20 players combined… Right?

1 Like

Absolutely correct, those Blizzard posts are in a locked down forum that we cant comment in, while they ask for suggestions. Take a look a the TBC discussion forums for the 65,000 view-1,000 comment thread about server transfers or the 100 other smaller threads stating the same issue. All I got from those two Blizzard posts was overthinking and/or BS, I wouldn’t accept this from any other company I do business with.

It’s too late at this point, they’re too inept, greedy or both. 15/30 PvP servers are dead. Blizzard, all of the information on what to do (AND MAYBE HOW TO DO IT!!!) is here on the forums, but you’re going to have to take the time to read it, just like the players do.

I’m sick of writing these crappy little diatribes for the sake of keeping the product acceptable, this is not my job. It is yours.

2 Likes

Think there’s still plenty that want to keep their names. I know I do. But as I said, they could simply give priority to whichever character has more hours played. With connecting realms, conflicts are already avoided because they’ll just put everyone’s Battlenet number or realm name on the end of character names.

There are always simple solutions to every problem Blizzard has. They just don’t care or don’t want to put in the work. “Just cash the transfer checks.” This is like saying, “just eat your own body for food.”

1 Like

Just because someone plays more than someone else doesn’t mean the lesser-played person should lose their name. Sure if that person has is under level 10 and hasn’t played in 6+ months… then take the name… but if someone is active they should not lose their name.

1 Like

What forced change would that be? It seems to me it’s business as usual except that there’s more likelihood of finding people to group with if that’s what you choose to do.

Transfers also disrupt server communities, go look at how many servers have been dramatically changed by mass transfers in classic.

Merge the servers, make 2 PVP and 2 PVE (1 for EST and PST) and keep Grobbulus on its own as its RP-PVP and stable.

And I would have 0 issues on name changes If Blizz actually freed up names like they do in retail so people can avoid the ugly Server suffixes. TBCC is built on the Shadowlands 9.0 client so this type of feature is working. Someone just needs to wake up and start freeing up inactive names (+2 years inactive, as in not logged on to classic since 2019) or deleting lv.1 characters with horded names.

2 Likes

So what you’re saying is if they did linked realms but left free xfers open that would be the best of both worlds, as long as players have an option right.

This is true, but you can’t change the past. What can they do moving forward?

I assume you mean the restriction. While I personally don’t care if they remove it at this point, I can’t see many Alliance on Pagle being willing to be Alliance on Faerlina. They’d most likely want to be Alliance on Benediction. Same thing with Horde on Mankrik, they probably don’t want to be Horde on Benediction. They want to be Horde on Faerlina.

1 Like

People were already complaining about layers during the first week. Having more of them would have seen the forums flooded with tears.

I’d break out Bloodsail, too for people who like smaller communities. Oh, and if people complain about the PvP servers being merged, offer them free transfers to the PvE realm of their choice.

It really seems like Blizzard’s policy is to “let them figure it out.” and as players shift from one server to the next spending hundreds of dollars as people shift their entire character list around. It seems really simple to me.

• Designate a server that’ll become the mega server. Be upfront and honest, show it in the news and when you log in on the left side. Players have the following options to make before the shift.
  1. Transfer to PvE server, if you’re only there for faction imbalance then you’re practically already playing one. Let’s not beat around the bush of “but muh pvp” when you aren’t contributing to it.
  2. Get ahead of the train and transfer to the above-mentioned PvP server as the destination before Blizzard forces it. Set up name reservations, based on playtime or other factors whatever and setup queues and name priorities such as.
  • Pick 3 names and rank them they’ll warn you if they’re taken or not and if it’s still taken come merge day it selects the highest one available or make you pick another that isn’t taken.
  1. Wait until transfer day and enjoy the massive community that it’ll create that’ll have immense numbers but enough that neither factions guild prospects are any weaker, auction houses are booming and battlegrounds of popping.

Edit: Sorry had to come back I forgot to add 3 since I left inbetween writing this.

1 Like

If they did go the merging route( or even with transfers) it would be neat if they added an option on character creation (quick pop up for existing characters) to input last names to replace server suffixes if a duplicate name happens.

So rather than Goblin - Faerlina you could be Goblin Deeznutz.

1 Like

This is what other games have done. You could be Hoofsman Robberpants and everyone would know exactly what Hoofsman you are.

Although I think you’re probably the only one.

4 Likes

I’ve been so disappointed you can’t have a surname for any of these characters. Even an account surname so all your characters fall under X name like you’re a part of a lineage or something similar. The fact you can’t put in commas or apostrophes and make cool orc/troll names like “Zog’diak” is downright disappointing.

1 Like