We need to talk about online privacy

Yeah… I know. That said, Ive been flagged AND banned more times than I can count (yes, that’s an opening) for banal and trivial poop.

If you bother to read the post (long-winding and meandering it may be), that it’s quite obvious to a reasonable person it contains nothing remotely offensive is the essence of the matter. The mass-reporting is the problem, and frankly people who report out of spite vs substance should also being flagged as “inappropriate” to the forums community.

1 Like

and I have a screenshot of their wanting just that…to take what happens in here into the game.
https://imgur.com/AWjeBFg
So if they disagree with you for ANY reason in here, just personal view differences, they want action taken in game if they can get you actioned in here.
Screw that.
No btags showing in here…ever.

No one here NEEDS btags to report rule violations…ever.

1 Like

Here’s the short version:
battletags would solve some problems and exploits in the current forum setup.

Some people have chosen to be against this, and the big reasons listed are:

1. they confused btags with realID (which noone sane is actually asking for)
  2. they like the current exploits, and want to continue to exploit them
  3. because disinformation about what a btag is.
2 Likes

The OP is saying that this would lead to catfishing and doxing. Neither has anything to do with your bnet.

Just because a troll puts thought into their post doesn’t mean they’re not trolling.

2 Likes

Again, how would this stop with btag implementation? Are you saying that none of this takes place on forums that use btags?

2 Likes

I’ll let mirasol explain this one:

7 Likes

it wouldnt.
if you follow their arguments, in one breath they admit someone who wants to troll will just pay for another account to post on.
but in that same breath they told me that no one would ever pay for a second account to troll with.
lol.
It depends on what day of the week it is as to whether a troll will pay $15 to keep trolling.
We all know determined trolls will.
And so Btags are pointless.
They get one account banned and the troll just pays $15 for a new account, trolls until its banned and moves to the next.
A number of members here have admitted to only paying for their accounts so they can post here (they arent the trolling ones, though)…so a troll doing it isnt any less likely.

Again, if you can’t articulate your own thoughts and opinions, why are you posting?

All of what Mirasol said in that post is about making moderating the forums easier (albeit while posting on a level 13 alt - tell me that’s not ironic), not about an easier user experience, and unless Mirasol is/was a CS agent - most of it looks like speculation.

The capstone argument was “It cost Blizz money to clean it up” - I mean really?

1 Like

This benefits us:

Trust level, post history, post count, likes/flags, are all tied to the forum account which is currently charname-server. Every time someone transfers or has a name change, it wipes their forum account to the start. Any new char they use, starts at zero. That gets a fair amount of tickets/complaints to CS.

This benefits us:

Treating char-server as forum accounts means Ignore is only for that one char instead of all the chars on that Bnet account. It means people can, and do, make more chars to evade ignores and keep bothering individuals.

This benefits us:

Char-server allows people to add you in-game without your permission, message you, find where you are, mail you, etc. Even see if you get a name change. Btags don’t. They keep anyone from talking to you without you giving them permission to add you as a friend.

Why are YOU posting if you’re not even going to read?

4 Likes

It would be a better and easier user experience for me if I didnt have to question every low post alt supporting a controversial take, and see if they were actually an alt of the OP.

Considering the cons of it basically…only exist if you dont understand how anything works…shrug

5 Likes

Pretty much this.

Every other blizz forum uses btags. This one should too

6 Likes

It’s certainly one of the more popular activities these days.

Sure are a lot of people subbing multiple accounts for this sole purpose unfortunately.

isnt there a way to figure out if someone is posting on an alt? I remember when people knew who was posting on multiple alts.

They dont need our Btags to report rule violations.
We know it.
They know it.
As far as accounts versus characters, Ive said for years in here that if we ignore ONE character then the entire account should be ignored.
And yet one of the pro Btag sorts literally swapped alts on my about 2 weeks ago so they could get around an ignore I had on their main, thereby violating their own standards, lol.
It gets hard to take them seriously when they cant even uphold and abide by their own rule of no alt swapping to get around ignores. lol.

They dont need to see Btags to report rule violations. End of debate.
As far as trolling, when one character is actioned, the entire posting account is actioned, not just that character.
So now we just need to make it so ignores are also account wide…‘problem’ literally solved.

3 Likes

Not as many as we assume, but not as few as the sockpuppets claim.

I couldn’t imagine being that pathetic.

2 Likes

look at their collections for one.
someone else mentioned another way about 10 days ago or so

Just go outside

You know that doesn’t work all/most of the time.

Works unless they post on a classic toon, which you can have 100 of on a single account.