We need to talk about online privacy

This benefits us:

Trust level, post history, post count, likes/flags, are all tied to the forum account which is currently charname-server. Every time someone transfers or has a name change, it wipes their forum account to the start. Any new char they use, starts at zero. That gets a fair amount of tickets/complaints to CS.

This benefits us:

Treating char-server as forum accounts means Ignore is only for that one char instead of all the chars on that Bnet account. It means people can, and do, make more chars to evade ignores and keep bothering individuals.

This benefits us:

Char-server allows people to add you in-game without your permission, message you, find where you are, mail you, etc. Even see if you get a name change. Btags don’t. They keep anyone from talking to you without you giving them permission to add you as a friend.

Why are YOU posting if you’re not even going to read?

4 Likes

It would be a better and easier user experience for me if I didnt have to question every low post alt supporting a controversial take, and see if they were actually an alt of the OP.

Considering the cons of it basically
only exist if you dont understand how anything works
shrug

5 Likes

Pretty much this.

Every other blizz forum uses btags. This one should too

6 Likes

It’s certainly one of the more popular activities these days.

Sure are a lot of people subbing multiple accounts for this sole purpose unfortunately.

isnt there a way to figure out if someone is posting on an alt? I remember when people knew who was posting on multiple alts.

They dont need our Btags to report rule violations.
We know it.
They know it.
As far as accounts versus characters, Ive said for years in here that if we ignore ONE character then the entire account should be ignored.
And yet one of the pro Btag sorts literally swapped alts on my about 2 weeks ago so they could get around an ignore I had on their main, thereby violating their own standards, lol.
It gets hard to take them seriously when they cant even uphold and abide by their own rule of no alt swapping to get around ignores. lol.

They dont need to see Btags to report rule violations. End of debate.
As far as trolling, when one character is actioned, the entire posting account is actioned, not just that character.
So now we just need to make it so ignores are also account wide
‘problem’ literally solved.

3 Likes

Not as many as we assume, but not as few as the sockpuppets claim.

I couldn’t imagine being that pathetic.

2 Likes

look at their collections for one.
someone else mentioned another way about 10 days ago or so

Just go outside

You know that doesn’t work all/most of the time.

Works unless they post on a classic toon, which you can have 100 of on a single account.

I’m down for btag and ignoring one toon on an account = the entire account ignored.

I do not want to be around people who do not like me and do not mesh with my personality and mine with theirs.

Seeing as I was dragged into this thread with a quote, I will address this.

Nobody has ever said that having a single Bnet level forum account ID stops ALL trolling. There are people willing to set up a new Bnet account, pay a sub, level to 10, and post using a new identity.

Right now people have 160 characters (more if they delete and make new) per License. 8 Licenses per Bnet account. Narrowing that down to one identity per Bnet account like the rest of the Blizzard forums does not stop all shenanigans, but it does reduce it.

12 Likes

absolutely agree.
At a point one has to accept that the exchange is going nowhere and two people arent compatible AT ALL and discourse between them needs to end entirely.
Its the adult thing to do, just walking away from it instead of wasting time bickering for 3 days pointlessly.

1 Like

Mhm. It’s nice being around company you enjoy and they enjoy yours

Kind of boggles the mind that anybody would go to the trouble.

3 Likes

I’ll give this a stab. The reason battletags or a similar forum name would be good is because by having one identity per account, people are held more accountable for what they say and do as opposed to being able to switch characters at the drop of a hat. The ability for people to create so many identities with such ease means that people with no intention to discuss anything and purely want to cause arguments can do so safely.

Switching characters on a whim also makes it confusing for everyone when someone changes mains, such as a longtime poster playing say a priest for awhile and then switching to warrior. With battletags this confusion wouldn’t exist as we’d know trogthar the warrior is the same person as perry the priest.

Another issue is that since the discourse software treats each character as a separate account, one can like their own posts or flag posts they don’t like on multiple characters, the latter of which is a bannable offense but can cause legitimate issues in the form of being more flags the mods have to sort through, leading to less effective overall moderation.

Basically, having battletags or a sort of forum identity would cut back alot on unproductive behaviors and lead to an overall better forum experience for those wishing to discuss the game.

1 Like

People has a whole boggle my mind.

If only btags were implemented and you could have avoided this fake situation.

Yes. btags would solve the problem. Thank you for agreeing.

5 Likes