We need to talk about online privacy

Because the old forums allowed for sites such as check pvp to bypass an option within the account settings

a long time ago, people like you claimed that preventing lvl 1 characters from posting would stop trolling yet here we are lvl 1 characters canā€™t post and you are now advocating for more restrictions to stop trolling which will also not work.

A lot of people troll on their main characters.

:woman_facepalming: people who do that donā€™t care about their ā€˜repā€™.

If this was true, why turn off account-wide achievements? Post on Classic toons? Level 1s?

They care about something.

1 Like

As it stands now, no they donā€™t. They create a classic DK, make the post, let the hate fester, then delete that character. Rince and repeat after the vacation, if they get one, is over.

But if they only had one identity, they would only do it once.

1 Like

sorry i dontwant to make a safe place for folks to run wiled we want a fun place that folks behave themselves and act in a respectable way

also you canā€™t get catfished if your not creeping arouned this is a game and i come here to you know play a gameā€¦

2 Likes

that is so silly. Just open your eyes and look around you in real life. A lot of people, well known people, keep on making ā€˜racistā€™ rants and they donā€™t care and they have far more to lose in real life than ā€˜xā€™ character on this forum.

And I resent the implication behind your example.

1 Like

Are you accusing me of being the sockpuppet of a Blizzard employee? Based on what exactly? Have a care, as Iā€™m not entirely sure how heā€™d react to that accusation. I do know that Vrak possess a level of patience that is very nearly godlike. So, yeah, not at all like me.

Still waiting for that email/text/DM, though. Or is your ā€˜OSINTā€™ game just to weak?

2 Likes

for op

The difference between good and bad and between right and wrong are givens, not arguments subject to discussion

1 Like

Did you just confirm you dox people

4 Likes

Hey bread, thank you for the report there, especially on the trolling.

1 Like

For those pro-battletag: Remember when Facebook wanted to use Real Names instead of aliases to ā€œkeep our community safeā€? Yeah that worked out. No Trolls on Facebook.

For those anti-battletag: Remember that data breach last year that exposed over half a million user accounts? For those who have played for a while - remember that data breach in 2012?

/insert ā€œPepperidge Farm Remembersā€ meme here

they are? I am pretty sure there is a wide degree of subjective interpretation in the terms good and bad and right and wrong.

I am anti-battletag but I canā€™t see how this even relates to the discussion. I was in two security breaches back 20 years ago and since then havenā€™t been stupid enough to give online businesses my credit card.

BattleTags are aliases.

Well, there is, out in the real world? But on these forums, right or wrong, good or bad, it isnā€™t subjective when there is rules set in place within the forums

4 Likes

So, before anyone gets too up in arms over the premise of this thread, how is one nickname that you chose for yourself more or less private than another nickname that you chose for yourself?

You. I like you.

2 Likes

not if your a man and know how to act such

It most certainly is subjective, each moderator will decide what post is acceptable or not. In addition, they have this bit in their CoC because they want to be able to apply penalties whenever they feel like it.

Note that the following guidelines are not exhaustive, and may not address all manner of offensive behavior. As such, the forum moderators shall have full discretion to address any behavior that they feel is inappropriate.

I have no idea what you mean but it sounds very sexist.

The only argument I have seen against displaying battletags is that it would expose players to be more easily doxxed (but then that was just this thread, I didnā€™t bother reading the battletag megathread).

Your point? The whole argument for battletags (that I have seen, again I didnā€™t bother reading the megathread) is to expose trolls and to stop people from circumventing the ignore feature. If you really think battletags is going to stop this behavior I have a bridge I think youā€™d be interested in.