We need to be able to reset Profession Specializations

Profession specializations are extremely, extremely involved (I wish they didn’t exist at all, but that’s a different topic), and I didn’t know what I was doing when I did tailoring the first night. So now I’m apparently stuck with a really sub-par profession at the moment and there’s no way to fix it? We need to be able to reset profession specializations. Even if it’s a 30 day cooldown, whatever, just the ability to do it.

Here’s my specific story with tailoring:

Edit: Oh I should add that I know immediately I did not want

Monday night I accidentally unlocked Tailoring Mastery when I hit 25. I didn’t want that. So at 50, I unlocked Draconic Needlework, which I did want.

But then I noticed I can’t add optional reagents to pieces of gear because I didn’t unlock Garmetcrafting! And I can’t unlock another spec until 75. And I can’t even complete orders that specify optional reagents (even if they include the missive) because I didn’t unlock it! Ahhh.

Yes, okay. I should have read everything better. But this whole system is new and confusing. And being locked in to our initial poor choices is a big negative for me on what has been a good expansion so far.

Oh, I should add that I knew immediately I did not want Tailoring Mastery. I had put 5 points in but did not hit apply. I closed the window out and it told me am I sure I want to close? I have unapplied points. I said yes. The points stayed in the specialization, even without me hitting apply. So I couldn’t not pick that spec. Ahh.

51 Likes

I have the same problem with leatherworking I mistakenly put points into leatherworking discipline instead of leather armor crafting. I didn’t realize until 50 skill level that the new recipes require going down two sub specializations for a total of an additional 20 knowledge points for one new recipe. The other option to continue to progress the profession is a massive reputation grind with the new factions.

It definitely doesn’t feel good looking back and realizing you soft locked yourself with no way forward for the next few weeks.

6 Likes

you’ll eventually be able to get every point you want, there’s no need, pay more attention.

4 Likes

So here’s the thing. In about five or six months (assuming you are dilligent on a weekly basis) none of this will matter as everything will be full. But it takes a LONG time. Tailoring requires over 600 knowledge to max. Enchanting over 500. Until then, it’s a matter of what you value.

The problem is crafting went from coloring with a crayon to painting a mural overnight in terms of complexity, and it’s probably the most obtuse thing they have ever introduced.

12 Likes

What you need to realize is that eventually, you’ll max out all specializations in your professions. If you made a mistake, just start putting your points elsewhere.

Agreed on that, but this new system is FAR from self-explanatory. It’s a riff on FFXIV, but frankly even more complex, and it’s not reasonable to expect people to adjust to THIS much of a shift in how crafting works overnight.

7 Likes

I agree, I made some mistakes myself when leveling it up. But the fact that point gain rate resets weekly and that you eventually get everything just means I don’t mind that much.

OP and the replies makes the biggest feature of the xpac look like a convoluted let down. Weird. How could that happen.

3 Likes

It’s professions in a video game. There shouldn’t be a wrong way to level it. The system is trash.

10 Likes

Yeah, when launch first hit I didn’t realize just how slow/limited knowledge points were going to be. I spent some points carelessly because I was thinking it would be a bit of a grind to unlock everything, but still attainable in the reasonably near future…actually it’s going to be a LONG long time.

1 Like

The system as designed works well - it stops people from instantly rerolling to flavor of the week.

3 Likes

The mistakes are due to the fact that I didn’t understand what I wanted, not that there is a “wrong” spec. If anything needs to be changed, it’s the descriptions.

3 Likes

I’d be ok with crafting being useful and far far less convoluted. I mean I have no idea what half this crap even means. It’s making my damn brain hurt. I’m definitely done crafting this go around. It just seems way to over designed for me.

4 Likes

descriptions leading you astray? Sounds like a trash system, like I said.

2 Likes

Messed mine up as well. Now I’m stuck with nothing giving skill ups and no recipes available.

5 Likes

I will admit I was just stupid. I saw the little locked icons at the top and I thought I couldn’t do it… But I could.

Blizard please forgive me for my stupidity.

I just want a little bit of phial skill.
Just one (dozen) and I’m off the junk for good

2 Likes

Yes, if your car’s manual was written in a language you don’t understand then clearly cars are useless and shouldn’t exist. /s

1 Like

I assume their logic for not adding a reset button is to stop people from switching to whatever is needed and best for them on a day to day basis. They want some sacrifice and agency.

However, I do believe there should be a reset button with a long cooldown or something. Or even just a week or two long window to reset for all the people who made mistakes. It’s a new and complicated system to learn. There has to be more people who made mistakes or just wanted to get rid of the tooltip that keeps telling them they have unspent specialization points compared to would be profession swappers/abusers.

3 Likes

not at all an appropriate analogy

2 Likes

No, Professions should mean something and be valuable.

1 Like