We need range Survival Hunters back

Still a bit sceptic. It was very vaguely formulated, a lot of it.

It seems as if we will be getting the following back at least.

Hunter’s Mark
Kill Shot (MSV equivalent?)
Eyes of the Beast (!!!)

4 Likes

No, it seems like it isn’t.

Holinka spent 15 minutes talking about EVERY single class but hunters.

It looks like survival is still melee.

4 Likes

As far as I could tell, he did not mention anything about bringing back specific playstyles.

More along the lines of specific abilities that had ties to the class as a whole.

Ironically, both Hunter’s Mark and Kill Shot are abilities that have strong ties to the fantasy of fighting with a ranged weapon.
So I’m a bit unsure of what they will do with these for MSV.

But apart from this. Keep in mind that a ton of things/potential changes and additions were not mentioned here purely because they cannot talk about all of them within this 45min window of the Deep Dive.
(And there are probably more things to come that haven’t been figured out yet)

5 Likes

Holinka’s ENTIRE spiel is how they want to move back from such a strong insular and isolated spec identity towards more of a class identity.

What other class would have been more damning and more perfect to use than hunters? From reconciling the broad hunter fantasy of using ranged weapons to melee survival.

The fact that they glossed over this and talked about almost every other class is pretty damning.

I urge everyone to hold off the SV commentary until we know more.

4 Likes

This is true, I am silently hyping for a return of ranged surv this new expac, but its best we keep expectations down until we get a concrete answer.

5 Likes

Completely agree. At least as far as the speculations go, for if it will return or not.

2 Likes

Apparently so?

Never said it did. But the fact of the matter is that their are people here who are begging for something to come back. I haven’t heard of any beggar getting anything by going about it rudely.

Who you need to be advicing is your pal Beeples. Ya’ll will continue to go without until he acts accordingly. That’s on periodt.

Nope.

If yall can cry about a spec that’s in the garbo we can talk about whatever, whenever.

They didn’t talk about warriors, monks, death knights, druids, or demon hunters either. They spent 10 minutes total on class changes. They used specific examples to let people know that changes in the form of stuff coming back are going to happen.

1 Like

They are not remotely the same. You might as well turn your demon hunter into a ranged caster with a wand and say its the same cause it still says demon hunter is your class.

They dumped on 2.3% of representation when there were more players playing, for 0.5% representation when there are much less playing. People wonder why so many ran to classic.

Your insistence that it will stay melee after it was changed from ranged to begin with only belies your own insecurity and hopes. Beast Mastery was always the most logical spec for a melee hunter and was left untouched only because of the number of hunters that played it, and the perceived blowback of any changes.

MSV is a failed experiment to garner more interest to the class, whether they decide to throw it out or not we will all wait to see.

8 Likes

In PvP it’s amazing and I’ve had yet to see the other two Hunter specs dominate me in the same fashion as I do them. Specifically because Aspect of Eagle when they don’t realize kiting is only futile.

2 Likes

dude must have fell asleep in wrath and woke up in legion tbh.

9 Likes

Think Blizzard was making each spec have a focus, BM pve, MM raiding, and MSV pvp. It has pushed the idea of bring the spec not the class.

PvP seems to favor melee over range, and both range hunter spec are know to be garbage in pvp.

I remember this, SoO you played either SV or BM if you wanted to get a spot. MM was at the bottom.

5 Likes

Chimera Shot was incredibly weak back then, and for some reason Blizzard just refused to buff it. Instead, they kept buffing Aspect of the Hawk… which of course did nothing because all 3 specs used it. It was the start of the trend of the class developers just not understanding the Hunter class well enough to make any sensible decisions on it.

10 Likes

It has always been their theory that all they need to do is buff one ability they all share to bring them all up in equal DPS. They have been about the quick fix than trying to listen to what actual players say.

This again speaks about what has happen to each Hunter spec in all. They keep pushing their philosophy of “No, you don’t want to play that game… you think you do, but you don’t.”, cause they know more than any player, even when they have said they just design classes so they can play better on a tablet.

3 Likes

Still waiting to see when they’ll listen to us. Been 4 years so far…

No matter how much they know about class and spec design as a concept, that counts for nothing if they don’t listen to what the players actually want.

Note: DON’T ignore players that chose the class for what it was originally intended to be about. They can ofc add in new paths but once you start to ignore the previous, you’ve really lost your way, design-wise.

5 Likes

One of my favourite episodes of this debacle is watching Naham weave in complaints about people who don’t like melee Survival into an RP thread:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/mercenary-speaking/363629/2?u=bepples-barthilas

“Even if you hate Survival, learn to play it and use it. Sometimes using a spear or longsword is preferable to a gun or bow. Carrying a sword around will not draw as much attention in urban areas as a gun or bow will. Tactically in urban areas it’s also a decent tactic. It’s also so fun to play that even it’s detractors admit it. Those who don’t say it’s fun sooner or later will show an agenda.”

wew lad

Here’s some RP for you: If you go up against another Hunter who has mastered the bow or gun, they’ll have you bleeding out on the ground before you can get anywhere near them.

8 Likes

This would only happen if your like Rambo and have to use the environment to kill your enemies. Yet, he was quick to find a rifle as it was way superior to the dagger he had.

Brandishing any type of weapon will get attention of Guards quickly, unless its a short sword or a knife that can be concealed. However, since MSV is restricted to two-handed swords and spears I would expect them to be watched.

Swords and pointy weapons look all cool when you swing them around, but there is a reason why they have been phased out in favor of firearms, I think Indian Jones showed it best.

7 Likes

Yeah, classic scene there.

Love it!

4 Likes