We need range Survival Hunters back

Am I wrong that it’s the most played Spec through our history in this game?

Then from Cata-WoD, wasn’t still the most popular Spec in the game?

Take you pick, my opinion is the same.

This is putting words into my mouth. No it’s not.

I already answered this.

I thought that I was clear on this from the start.

The easiest solution would be MSV having the ability to switch between range and melee. This can be a ability cooldown, like an aspect, or a stance like warriors had.

It would require having two weapons, or you could just pick one and not need two weapons.

1 Like

I might actually like that, even though MSV currently does have going Ranged as a CD, which is a gimmick really.

1 Like

That it, AotE feels so lackluster as a ability I rarely remember it there.

It’s meant to be an uh-oh ability that give SV a lot more mobility and can be used on the way to the target when Harpoon is on CD.

1 Like

They could always make SV a throwing weapon spec…

Melee weapons with a 40 yard range.

You know you love it.

No you’re not.

But despite that. You used the popularity argument as a way the make your point that it was then justified to remove RSV, as it wasn’t overall, the most popular spec.

By that logic, most specs would be open for deletion?

Again, I’m not saying that for example MSV, should be removed.

But based on popularity and registered numbers of characters, it made no sense whatsoever to remove RSV in favor of MSV.
Because MSV, certainly isn’t the most popular spec of the class. Not even close.

And we’re back to the case of judging whether a spec should be deleted based on it’s number of registered characters.

This is not really a good measurement.
If it was, like I said above, MSV should be deleted ASAP. As it’s the least popular(read: played) and have always been the least popular hunter spec by far…

Fair enough. Then please explain what your intentions were with that comment.

Your response made it seem as if your original comment was meant as a positive. But I doubt anyone who is/was a part of the ‘‘cult following’’ as you phrased it, would take your comment in a positive way.

Sure, it’s not on the same level as Kindwolf’s ill thought out replies where he continues to call us rabid. But I wouldn’t exactly say that your comment positive either.

The only reason the return of RSV is such a hot topic for many players, is because it was taken away. With no regards to how much players actually liked it or not.

Do this to any spec in the entire game, and the outcome would be the same. It’s not something unique to the removal of RSV.

Actually, you’re not.

You have brought up a lot of different arguments as for why it was justified to remove RSV.

But as soon as people start to refute those, you go back to the pacing. Saying that it wasn’t actually about those other arguments specifically.

I guess this depends on what you mean.

For players that like the current MSV overall, just they would prefer to be fully ranged at all times, sure. It would be a good solution.

But for those that are asking for the old SV playstyle with Explosive Shot, Black Arrow etc. It wouldn’t be a solution at all.

What you could do, is design the spec to make use of actual ‘thrown’ weapons like spears or 1h axes(or maybe daggers).

And they could put in the mechanic of when you get within melee range of a target, all attacks(special + auto) that uses a weapon, would use melee-animations over the thrown ones.
Sure, this would require some work on the animation and design front. But it can certainly be done.

Btw, with spears, I don’t mean polerarms. I guess technically you could throw those too but…they would be a bit on the large side for such purpose.

Also, for the thematics. You could have a ‘‘carrier’’ on your back with 2-3 extra copies of your equipped weapon(s). To make it look as if you weren’t just throwing away the only weapon you had.
You would ‘‘draw’’ those weapons out in the same way as an archer pulls out arrows from a quiver.

1 Like

Hunters have a strong “core fantasy”: they’re masters of tracking prey, experts at sniping enemies with bows and guns from a distance, tamers of wild beasts, and trappers of unsuspecting foes.

In Legion, we’re focused on better differentiating these specializations to deliver more dynamic and varied experiences.

Beast Masters were already in a good place overall, but we’ve refined existing abilities and talents to better differentiate them from other Hunters. Previously, Cobra Shot filled all of your free moments in combat, leaving no time for managing your pet, which should be a defining characteristic of Beast Masters.

Odd how “pet management” devolved to keeping up buffs while filling nearly all your free moments with Cobra Shot.

Odd how in order to make the specializations more unique they ended up making Survival into Beast Mastery 2.0: Melee Tinker.

Beast Mastery is the pet collection specialization of the game. Collecting is one of the core gameplay facets of World of Warcraft.

As to your continual assertion that the specializations were too similar based solely on button presses then by that logic this Enhancement Shaman is too similar to my Windwalker Monk and Fury Warrior all of which dual wield, have resource generation and spending, have movement abilities, and have ability procs. Add to that the fact that I arrange their bars in a similar fashion to make the most of muscle memory.

1 Like

Could you do me a favor and actually read what I said, that way you will be less wrong.

You are stating your subjective opinion on the game play of hunter’s in past expansions when they were all ranged. Opinions are not facts therefore anyone who disagrees with your opinion isn’t wrong.

Reducing the diversity of ranged weapon user to 2 specializations out of 36 in favor of adding a 13 melee DPS or 19th melee specialization in total including tanks was not the way to make the specializations more unique. Particularly when knowingly alienating a large portion of players who chose the class to be “ranged weapon users” while simultaneously butchering the remaining 2 ranged specializations. Even more so when it breaks the class fantasy to the point where nothing is shared any longer.

9 Likes

It’s okay if you don’t get it, but I think that you just want to argue more.

What about a 4th spec called “Dark Ranger”.
As Nathanos said in Seething Shore, “Why aren’t there any dark rangers in your ranks?”

No dark rangers on Alliance, please. Make it an allied race for Horde.

Restricted to Undead Elven Rangers.

2 Likes

dark ranger is not a race it’s a class. they also have to give up their bond with nature so a dark ranger hunter makes no sense.

this is why paladins don’t have a “death knight” spec.

2 Likes

You’re right, but the thing is that we need the old survival back.

3 Likes

The only way to bring back the old survival spec is for blizzard to actually care to implement it properly into mm. Melee survival works because it’s over-tuned for this Xpac. MM’s problem (in pvp) is that it lacks the utility needed to do what the class is intended to do, KITE. In PvE it’s kind of a snore fest compared to B.M and M.Survival.

The design team knows this because of the essence Conflict and Strife which gives the Hi-explosive trap to the class. Now you know there’s problem when the melee version of survival can kite better than the other 2 ranged specs.

We do, but I wouldn’t agree that, in style of the Dark Ranger, is the way to do it.

1 Like

Dark Ranger fits closer to a Rogue than Hunter.

That would require a revamp of MM, or they could just intergrate those abilities into MM and make MM fully mobile.

1 Like

Sort of.

Dark rangers are sort of a mix between Rogues, Hunters and Death Knights. Maybe even a bit of Shadow Priest in there.

Though, specific attributes related to them aren’t that defined as od today, so far it’s more about what current Dark Rangers have been observed doing in combat, rather than looking at their toolkit on paper.

But yeah, as for the ideas to make Dark Ranger a part of the hunter class, I just cannot agree on that, considering what they are meant to be. And considering what is required to become a Dark Ranger.

There are ways you could do it, though it would either require changing quite a few talents as well as passive effects etc. In order to get RSV in there. Or you would have to go the route that Mas suggested with a type of Gladiator-style talent(s).

I don’t know exactly how Mas intends for it to be designed but it would require more than giving us 1 talent that provides ES+BA+SrS.

I just have my doubts about making an entire separate playstyle being a part of another spec/playstyle via talent choices.