We need clarification on multiboxing ban. There is more than one way

Hi, im looking for clarification on multiboxing ban.

The orginal post by blizzard states the mirroring of actions between game clients is the reason for ban. That software allowed players to do this.

But what about hardware? There are methods of multiboxing involving hardware and that use zero software. Such as setting up a single keyboard to 2 clients at once. Or Kvm hardware. Dual computers. Or Multiseat software such as astor v7 that lets 2 or more people play on the same computer with their own keyboard and mouse.

I realise that singling out multibox software was the easiest. But what is blizzards policy on hardware multiboxers?

Also what about alt tabbing between clients? Is this still allowed for people to do?

I appreciate any response to these questions thanks.

1 Like

their stipulations only apply to third-party multiboxing softwares, so I guess in theory if there’s another way it’s okay?

4 Likes

Yep. If you can do it without software replication, you’re free to do so.

5 Likes

software runs the hardware…if it copies the actions it’s against tos now. like its over you can’t cheat anymore

3 Likes

Not with a KVM switch. No software needed to split the keyboard and mouse.

3 Likes

Software doesn’t always control hardware in this case.

KvM is a hardware device that allows you to control 2 computers with the same keyboard and mouse. It has a simple switch inside. You press the switch and your controlling 1 pc. Press it again you control another. Or simply just running the game on 2 computers side by side is the same as well.

2 Likes

They’re banning the software because that’s something they can detect. The problem it causes is the automation of multiple accounts with the press of one keystroke. If you’re still pressing one keystroke and controlling multiple accounts, with hardware instead of software… do you really think that’s a smart thing to continue?

9 Likes

I get what you’re after, but everything they intended to convey is contained in the statement. They’ve banned software that mirrors actions to more than one client. They literally did not say they were banning multiboxing.

There are a bunch of threads like this around. “Did they ban XYZ too?” No. If they had, it would have been in the statement.

They didn’t ban hardware boxing, KVM hardware (whatever that is), Astor V7, tuna fish, broccoli, crocs, outdated Thunderfury memes, speed skating, Journey’s Greatest Hits or anything else not in the statement.

When they release a statement banning hardware muliboxing, or Journey, then don’t do those things. For the time being, you’ll get a warning first anyway, per the statement.

Till then…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atxUuldUcfI

2 Likes

Here’s the easy answer. Once upon a time /follow in BG was allowed. Once upon a time /follow in world PvP was allowed. Once upon a time multiplexing software was allowed.

See the writing on the wall yet?

1 Like

Those are much more complicated and do not allow for abuse of massive amounts of drones that act within 1 ms of each other based on what I understand from what you said. I think multiboxing via the same computer is fine as long as its not literally cloning and broadcasting your keystrokes to a bunch of drones.

I think some people would still be able to do the /follow and loot they have been doing. Just not with a raid group or at least it should never get to that level of abuse.

Multiboxing, or playing multiple World of Warcraft accounts at once, is not a violation of our Terms of Use. Please note, however, that use of input broadcasting software may result in account penalties.

4 Likes

if u only lode up wows , u good , if u put a nother app 4 maks 1 person go as 5 ppl , no it is no good

2 Likes

So with the hardware you can mirror keystrokes onto a second keyboard. Can you do more? Like 20?

No, with the KVM switch you could use one keyboard (and/or monitor, and/or mouse) with multiple computers.

You can use a KVM switch to share a keyboard/mouse/monitor between as many computers as the switch is capable of connecting. Theoretically, if the switch is capable of connecting to 40 computers, you could control all 40 computers with a single keyboard/mouse/monitor.

3 Likes

You probably will not get clarification.

But historically, they’ve never differentiated between hardware/software that accomplishes the same prohibited action. It would be harder for them to detect your KVM setup, but it might still violate tos in their eyes

A KVM switch that you have to toggle, that only broadcasts to a single machine at a time, that almost certainly won’t be against what they’re trying to do. It’s the equivalent of alt tabbing between multiple clients on one machine.

A KVM switch that lets you press one key, and have it create an action on multiple computers is going to be sketchy grey zone. You’ll also need to have multiple physical computers, as any solution involving VMs and such will absolutely be software based.

Do any of those things involve input broadcasting software?

Their post says:

The use of input broadcasting software that mirrors keystrokes to multiple WoW game clients …

Does it mention hardware or the use of hardware? Keyboards, two computers, that sort of thing? It seems they are talking about a system of automating software where a player makes an action on one account character which is then transmitted to other characters on other accounts, removing the need to action each character individually. But if players manually control multiple characters by having them act individually and under direct control, that would not seem to be a problem.

But I agree with Mikoshi that any type of automation is likely to trigger a response and they are likely to set up Warden to oversee all kinds of alternatives.

So basically, this just makes it more expensive to multibox.

2 Likes

No. Once again, per the support article on multiboxing, updated 8 hours ago (I’ll even break down into individual sentences to make it more easily understandable):

Multiboxing, or playing multiple World of Warcraft accounts at once, is not a violation of our Terms of Use.

Please note, however, that use of input broadcasting software may result in account penalties.

2 Likes

Feel free to invest thousands in a computer for each account, and a KVM switch. Odds are pretty good that they’re not going to be trying very hard to differentiate between someone using a KVM switch to broadcast keystrokes, and someone using software to do it.

1 Like

Well, since they’re looking specifically for the input-broadcasting software, there’s nothing to differentiate. The hardware solution doesn’t use the software they’ve prohibited.

Also, the hardware solution doesn’t have to be expensive, unless you don’t know anything about computers. But, if you are that computer-illiterate, you aren’t the sort that plays PC games, let alone attempts to multibox them.

1 Like