We have finally reached the point where hardware is able to overpower WoW

I was streaming 2 nights ago and on world bosses I was getting 80-100 FPS in 40 person groups. Level 7 settings, 3440x1440. 5800X, 32GB 3600MHz CL16 Memory and RX 6800 XT. We did it, mankind finally made hardware so powerful that it can make up for WoWs shortcoming in old and outdated code and deliver good FPS!

1 Like

Some of us have had similar performance for years.

3 Likes

I don’t think this is new but yeah pretty cool stuff ^^
I’ve been playing WoW since March 2019… played a years later only for a bit idk what expansion probably WoD…
But I say to myself a lot of times, damn I wish I had played WoW sooner, it’s such a great game, but… I found 2 of my favorite free MMOs in 2008… I could barely run them, I could probably run WoW during that time, but it was a crap pc so it’d be pretty low settings…
my problem was that I didn’t know anything about WoW during that time, my dad did but idk why he didn’t help get it for me :frowning: We barely had any money too so subscription may have not been an option…
Couldn’t have joined during classic cause in 2005 I was 12 I think, and had my first pc which was a 4GB HDD 512MB RAM… lol…

Missed out on the great days of the burning crusade and wotlk… all I can do is wait for our new classic to bring them one day. Having a crap pc and no money for subscription and not knowing much about WoW were reasons I couldn’t play… but now I got it running at almost similar settings as you and subscription is no problem xD but I’ll always be a newbie for starting at bfa :frowning:

How the hell did you get all those components when they are not available anywhere?

The new AMD chips are still a bit faster than the good old 8700k

1 Like

I was doing that on my first WoW PC with an athlon xp 3200 and nvidia 6600gt… :lying_face:. :rofl:

Well congrats for you i guess.

Ive had sustained frames over 60 for literally years with high to ultra settings each time.

I think they mean in situations like over-populated raid events, world events, etc.

It will even drop into the high 50s for me sometimes, depending on how many people are around.

Although framerate in those scenarios doesn’t really matter much when input latency is terrible anyway.

Been getting average frames when got a lot of players in world boss. I’m still disappointed. Seeing the CPU load still mostly focused on 1.

Hello Blizzard, it’s 2021 soon. Time to optimize fully for multi-threading.

Is that on zen3?

I still get pretty weak utilization no matter what in this game on my Intel system

Yup, Zen 2, Zen 3, Core i5-9600K. Its all the same. They just dip below 100FPS on large fights.

Worst I saw was high 50s in an icecrown battle pre-patch with like 100 people

1 Like

I’ve been getting around that. A bit higher FPS on Zen 3.

1 Like

Not in 100 person world bosses, out in the open questing I get 300+ usually.

Guess i should try level 7 settings someday

So you counted how many exact players? Thats a joke btw dont flake out like half the forum goers do.

You are right i dont get 300 fps , though whats the point. Whats the refresh of your monitor? I’m betting its not 300 mhz.

Anyway i get about 70 in mob or player dense outdoor areas…that with a 7 setting.

Its not sustained but good enough.

I still think people are full of it who state with absolute confidence they see the difference from a certain point in fps. Once you hit in triple digit fps you can’t discern with any measure of ease one fps count to another.

On the low yes of course…like 20 fps to even 60 fps is easily discernible. 150 to 200 …not so much.

That was my point, I get a sustained 80+ even in HUGE world boss fights. Up until probably 2019, even my Ryzen 7 2700x dipped into the 30 FPS range. Now that I am running 3440x1440 level 7 settings, I have not dipped below 80 yet even in a HUGE world boss.

1 Like

My thought process exactly.

You were on Ryzen zen 2 man. Thats why. Prior to zen3 amd was NOT a gaming cpu. Glad you finally have a gaming CPU. People tried to cut corners and get it because it was cheaper. To justify their purchase they mentally convinceed themselves it was adequate when in reality it wasn’t even close

It’s a great feeling isn’t it?

I’m at Level 10 @ 2560 x 1440 with RT shadows high.

I turned off Ray Tracing - doesn’t seem to look really different enough to warrant the performance hit

1 Like