We gotta talk about the Otter (500 mount achieve)

Blizz,

While there isn’t necessarily anything wrong with the Otter, there isnt anything right about it either. There are a dozen or so other Otter Mount recolors being added with Dragonflight and with the amount of time and dedication that it takes to get to 500 mounts, this reward just doesn’t do the achievement justice.

Some criteria it should meet:

1. Should be flashy, a mount that makes other players target you and wonder how to obtain the mount themselves.
  2. Should be unique enough that a player cant just go get a slightly different recolor of it in a much easier way.
  3. A recolor is fine (example Heavenly Azure Cloud Serpent as most Heavenly models took time and dedication to obtain) but it should be on a mount that is “difficult to obtain” in its other recolors (and looks cool!)

My ideas:

1. Green Antoran Charhound
  2. Recolored Store Mounts (Blue or Red Heart of the Aspects would be awesome)
  3. a recolored Valarjar Stormwing or Island Thunderscale (only two models in game but they look great)
  4. an updated nether drake
  5. an entirely unique model (Undersea Usurper Crab mount is only crab model in game which justifies the effort spent on it)

It doesn’t have to be anything crazy, just cool. I feel as though any of the above options are worthy of the 500 mount achievement. As the player collects more mounts, the rewards should get cooler, not the other way around.

As a collector, please consider changing this. Thank you.

17 Likes

Hit the nail on the head there. Please Blizz, give this another look.

4 Likes

This is a good summary of what an achievement mount should be.

We all know we can’t get a unique model mount, it won’t happen.

However some models are definitely “cooler” then others such as the one’s you gave as examples. Combine those with some really awesome colours and boom you have an awesome achievement mount even though its a reskin.

I really like the 300 and up mount rewards because their flashy, cool and based off models that are known for being rare.

Keep that momentum going.

Oh and maybe add more mount rewards more frequently, I’m sitting at 720 at the moment (by the achievement criteria).

5 Likes

Until I started mount farming I had no idea just how many other mount farmers are out there.

A non-trivial fraction of the player base don’t raid or PvP or do M+ or jump on the gear grind treadmill at all. Instead they farm mounts, pets, tmog, achievements and such.

Blizzard, why not reward those players with a goal that is unique to them? I don’t think anyone really cares what the 500 mount reward actually is, so long as it isn’t a recolour of something else or available elsewhere.

4 Likes

720 is a truly impressive amount of mounts. I’ve spent the better part of both BFA and Shadowlands farming mounts and have gotten myself from 185-550. The patience and dedication required to get to that amount is crazy which is why its baffling to me that the Yeti and the Otter were even considered to be the award for the 500 mount achievement.

I really hope they don’t keep the otter lol.

2 Likes

I think it’s just a really satisfying part of the game for people who like collecting. Plus, like you said with the gear grind treadmill, you get to keep all the mounts. mogs, pets, and achieves you get while the gear you get each season more or less gets vendored.

Thankfully, Ion said that they will definitely be adding more content in the game for collectors so we’ll see how that pans out!

2 Likes

Well said.

Lets get something flashy! I thought for sure it would be a unique dragon considering it’s the Dragon xpac, or a passenger mount… I don’t dislike the otter but it won’t feel special once we gain access to the other handful of otters.

5 Likes

Oooo true a passenger mount would be cool too! Especially since they’re really trying to have “Carrier” in the mount name and achievement name.

4 Likes

I just got invincible this week after what feels like forever. I am not at 500 yet, but am getting really close. (I think 483 on alliance atm)
I am going to be severely disappointed if the 500 mount is just the otter thing.
I personally think 500 should have its own unique model. It takes a long time to get 500.

Here me out. What if… they made a mount that had a mailbox included? Or even better, imagine a version of the longboi, Auction and Mailbox all in one!

Haha wishful thinking I suppose on my part.

I want it to 100% not only look badass, but it should have some type of cool function. (Maybe make it so you can carry yourself plus 4 others at once?)

But if we go for just recolored versions of other mounts, then my vote goes for an eyeball. I think they could easily base it off of the brain mount if they wanted to. Imagine turning into a floating eye!

3 Likes

The car from the Goblin starting area would be great (or something similar in function).

4 Likes

I’d love that!

2 Likes

A mailbox mount would be awesome! 500 mounts takes a while to get so a mount with a unique function would be great. Plus that goblin passenger mount would be ideal for the “Carrier” name. All of these ideas really have me hoping they don’t go with this generic otter.

P.S. Grats on Invincible! That’s a rough one to farm.

2 Likes

Blizzard, please give us the Radinax as a mount.

1 Like

We’re into Beta, not much time left to fix this for us collectors Blizzard!

Don’t forget us!

3 Likes

I’m honestly getting nervous that they’re gonna stick with this unimpressive otter decision lol. I’m really hoping that someone steps in before the launch and gives a worthy reward for 500 mounts collected…

1 Like

Bliz clearly knows the draw of cool mounts - the shop alone demonstrates this.

Bliz also wants people collecting in this game - the time metrics are good for business.

I would love to hear from Bliz on their logic for making the achievement mounts, including this huge milestone 500 mount one, so underwhelming. It doesn’t make a bit of sense to me.

2 Likes

I would love to hear from them about this decision as well! I feel it’s even more relevant today with the release of the Frostbrood Proto-Wyrm which players can unlock by simply completing the DK intro quests in WotLK Classic.

The mount earned from the DK intro quests is way cooler than the 500 mount achievement it’s unbelievable lol.

2 Likes

This… It takes an hour to obtain that one, yet years to obtain a crappy Ottuk vendor mount recolor.

We want a cool dragon too. Or anything cool, really. Not a lame vendor mount and not a ground mount preferably. And a 450 mounts achievement. And more Awake the Drakes like achievements.

Give us a sign ;-; anything at this point!

1 Like

Came to say the same thing, blah…

1 Like

I’m surprised that they went straight to 500 instead of 450. Maybe because this achievement is overdue… which makes the whole otter thing much worse lol. I’m really hoping the otter is just a placeholder…anything

1 Like