We gotta talk about the Otter (500 mount achieve)

great minds think alike :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes it needs to be something flashy PLEASE. it’s VERY VERY upsetting that its a recolor of a mount you’re adding a bunch of so it gets lost in a crowd. The 350 and 400 mounts are very different in color from anything else,

As well why not have 4-6 tiers of achieves added? 450/500/550/600/650/700? they took pets out to a number that is UN-obtainable.

Why do mount coolectors get the shaft? PVP’ers get amazing mounts every season and glad mounts are always great, but mount collectors get a plain otter…

4 Likes

I def agree with the increased number of tiers and that mount collectors get the short end of the stick lol. The sad part is that to get to 500 mounts, you have to be well-rounded. I’ve had to obtain pvp mounts, KSM, meta achieves, glory of the whatever raid, etc., and I’m still uncertain that I’m at the 500 mark.

This achieve not only shows how many mounts are collected, but also shows how many aspects of the game the player has played. All that to be rewarded with… an otter lol

1 Like

I have heard one of their rationales is that they don’t want newer players to see a really cool reward with a huge time sink to get it. I think this reasoning is flawed for at least four reasons.

• having a very desirable ‘high end’ reward that players can strive for is exactly what made this game so engaging. Legendaries in vanilla, ashes of al’ar in bc, invincible in wrath, mythic level xmog/mounts/titles in current day game, Glad mounts, just to name a few.
  • Cutting Edge / HoF/ Gladiator all exist. These not only take a huge time sink but extreme dedication in and out of the game to gain the skills/knowledge/network needed to complete them. Glad mounts also go away and are unique/desirable.
  • Although I don’t have the figures to back this up, a 500+ mount collector is likely to be way more valuable from a business perspective than a new player. I have personally spent thousands of dollars over the years between accts and tokens. I’d be surprised if most new players in 2022 even make it to 1 yr worth of sub time paid.
  • There are so many rewards, and specifically mounts, already. Is a cool looking 600 mount collection achieve really going to cause that much stress for new players? I wonder if they have any data to back up their claim that new players would see a 600 mount reward and quit because of it. Seems like a really weak excuse.

I’ve said this in the past, but it appears the current dev team is tunnel visioned on this and many other topics. I have 0 hope anything will change until there are new people in decision making roles on the WoW team.7

3 Likes

Still no replacement to be seen.

As time goes by I am even less hopeful that they’ll replace the Ottuk. If there is no time to change it to a newer model, just use the Stormcrow. Community has been waiting for Stormcrow since 5.2. We know the model is out there, and animations shouldn’t be an issue.

Just… anything other than this wannabe vendor mount.

4 Likes

I’m actually surprised by the lack of a response on this. Where has their passion gone for this game? Where’s the creativity?

If I were in charge of creating/delegating mount rewards, I would ensure that an achievement like this rewards nothing short of excellence. I might even have fun creating a mount that is so special. We know they can, they make great mounts all the time for the in-game shop…

2 Likes

And gladiators…

Man remember when we were going to get a Gladiator Cloud Serpent recolor from Island Expeditions?
Corrupted Jade Serpent, would drop from Mogu enemies.

Quickly replaced with Qinsho… Bleh.

I guess we can’t have nice things, even after spending years of time collecting in this game.

1 Like

lol, the fun has left the building. Along with any sense of pride and accomplishment.

1 Like

https://www.wowhead.com/news/new-mount-for-500-mounts-meta-achievement-otterwordly-ottuk-carrier-328966?webhook

Huge improvement, although still missing the 450, 550 and 600 mount achievements, this mount defo feels more worthy of the effort.

It’s the only soulshape mount and an all-terrain mount. I hadn’t even considered that an option.

4 Likes

It’s a nice change and I’m glad they’re listening.

I do hope they continue to update the collection achievements much more frequently.

5 Likes

It’s better, I can accept this. I would be interested in hearing any plans after the fact.

4 Likes

I also agree this reward is a big improvement! Will gives the devs credit here, thank you!

While I would like to see a higher ceiling on these achieves next, this was a big step in the right direction.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if any of you logged onto Beta to check it out.

Looks terrible.

Something about that Blue.

That’s unfortunate. It’ll probably just be a +1 for me, regardless. The monochrome ones rarely hold my interest.

The otter is the best mount.