WC3 Reforged: Any Lore Changes?

I’ve been holding off on buying WC3 Reforged until I hear a bit more about it (both lore and gameplay related). So, for those who have played it, are there any lore changes from the original version?

No it’s just a re skin of wc3

1 Like

They backpedaled pretty much everything they initially spoke about with regards to updating the story. It’s now intended as a pure recreation of the original game.

27 Likes

Idk if this was in the original, but now people can’t say Frostmourne didn’t have Frost powers.
1 Like

Something interesting they’ve done is given units actual names. For example in the third human mission, instead of just “Captain” the unit is now specified as “Captain Falric” and the mortar team that you get is labeled as “Dargal”

Cool little details like that are what I’ve noticed so far. I’m eager to see what else they clarify in later missions.

17 Likes

no changes in the human campaign at all

Silvermoon got revamped
the sunwell has been uptated
Anasterian shows up but he doesn’t have dialogue
a new little cutscene of a ice bridge of arthas
Daralan got reforged but apart from that nothing new.
The scene of sylvanas dying is pretty much a copy of her warbringers video.

No changes in the orc campaign
No changes in the nelf campaign.

it is clear to me that things were dropped because the purist didn’t wanted any more changes.

Aside from that, some units have interesting names. that is all.

i haven’t seen frozen throne yet but i bet that it would be the same as the original.
i expect to see new things in the rexxar campaign. but nothing too different.

blizzard was scared to change anything because people screamed that they didn’t wanted retcons. (instead of just, you know play the original game).

11 Likes

I wouldn’t really buy into the whole “but the purists didn’t want changes!!!” argument, it gives Blizz an easy out for under-performing.

Reforged has been riddled with developmental issues. They clearly were rushing the game out, and still had to push back the release date. I think it’s more likely that the extra cinematics + changes were too time/cash intensive, so they dropped them like a hot potato.

the whole thing leaves a very bait-and-switch type of feeling in my mouth.

24 Likes

hmm true,actually
it is clear that the game was not ready to be released but someone from above pushed to release the damn game ASAP.

5 Likes

True but if you spent a day in wc3 fourms before it released it was filled with people like the no changes bunch from classic

And lore wise in these fourms too, posts of golden is gonna ruin wc3 dotted the lands

4 Likes

Stratholm is revamped.

I think Reforged just being a graphical update of the original is the best thing we could have asked for, considering how Blizzard handles lore.

However, the fight Arthas has with Illidan in Frozen Throne is pretty bad… of course, it was bad in the original too… that is a bit -too- purist LOL

4 Likes

Okay, that settles it. I’m not buying this. That was on the short list of things that I absolutely did not want them to do.

6 Likes

That isn’t true. Over half of WC3R’s dev team got pulled off of it to work on Diablo 4 after “Don’t you guys have phones?”

well it was more or less, as you can see the camp of flowers and her banshe form.
now lets see some of my screenshots! (some are on spanish, but, oh well)

sunwell.

my advice is to now buy it, is not worth it, it is a scam.
The launch was a mess they force you to dowload reforged to play the classic version.
they also killed custom maps with their greed.

this game should have been in develop at least 1 year more.

(but to be fair some things are cool, some models are great, but is sad to see that is not finished, so much potential).

16 Likes

And that’s why I won’t be buying it.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s a -scam-

It’s just Warcraft 3… Big surprise.

If any of you want to play Warcraft 3, you might as well get reforged. If you have already played it, and don’t care to play it again, then its not for you.

I wish they didn’t rush it as much as they did, but I am also glad they didn’t make any sweeping story changes to it.

4 Likes

I bought Reforged mostly for the Meat Wagon mount, does that make me a bad person?

Side tangent: Anyone else think it’s odd that Reforged didn’t really receive any fanfare while nearing release? No advertisements until the day it was released. Felt like an afterthought, like “THE FINAL PATCH OF BFA IS HERE!!!, and btw Reforged is also being released.”

12 Likes

I thought that was definitely odd.

3 Likes

WoW is their big money maker, and it is struggling (comparatively to previous numbers). I honestly doubt they are making what they consider to be a lot of money off reforged, which might be why they pushed for release. They rather spend the resources on something else. They probably make more money on Character level boosts than they will with Reforged.

2 Likes

This is the biggest eyebrow raiser for me. I’m indifferent toward lore additions/revisions being cut since nu-Blizz can’t be trusted with that stuff anyway, but the whole thing felt like it was being snuck in through the backdoor.

3 Likes

Anasterian and Thalorien at the Sunwell is cool (they both died about ten meters away from each other if WoW scale is to be believed, so them appearing together is neat) but the former really needed a bit of dialogue, or at least a mention in the mission synopsis. He just seems like a mob with a funny name, there’s nothing to indicate that he’s the enemy king and father to another main character of the game.

I guess this was my worry with Reforged, that they’d work in the appropriate changes but fail to explain or give them any substance for fear of aliening the “pls no changes” crowd… or laziness.

5 Likes