Way to make fishing more interesting without going crazy?

I was thinking about this the other day while I was gathering fish and ore on my main character…

While fish is perfectly usable at this moment, I sometimes wish there was “more” to do or at least more variety in what you can do.

For example since fish plays a vital role in creating feasts for raids in TWW I was thinking introducing a new fishing mechanic would be neat. My idea was to add a fishing net that allows for catching multiple fish at the same time. My idea would work just like the current fishing pole mechanic, just more gathering slots. Let’s say you have a fishing net and you throw it into normal (non fish pool) water. The backend of the fishing mechanic would give you a chance to gather fish using RNG. You might end up with multiple fish, a net full of junk, or something in between.

Maybe make the fishing net upgradable like the fish rod is now. That way it can be improved or augmented.

Another idea related to fish I think would be cool. Deep sea fishing! Allow players to use small boats / rafts to venture into deeper waters to fish different fish than what is found on the shoreline. This could open up a bunch of different options for kinds of fish which could be used in new cooking recipes. For example, fish up shark or the warcraft equivalent of marlin (swordfish). Give people a reason to venture out into deeper waters instead of sitting on the shoreline. Just to be clear I mean deeper swimmable waters, not the Great Sea. Since you cannot fish in the middle of the water unless you can water walk or some other way to stand on top this could open up an option for small boats or rafts to be used, or at the least give more use to the ones that exist already in the toy box.

What do you think?

As a general rule, I dislike fishing in every game I’ve ever tried it in, and I only do it because other rewards are tied to it.

With that said, I actually look forward to the Hallowfall Fishing Derby. The format of the quest gives me an excuse to travel and find new spots, but the short duration keeps me from feeling like it’s an ill-defined chore that I just have to spend a lot of time on to make it ‘worth it’.

I don’t really have an opinion on most of your ideas because, as I said, I dislike fishing broadly – but I think building on the Hallowfall derby style is a good route.

I will say that your deep sea fishing idea is kinda already in the game – there’s a variety of ways to waterwalk, as you note, but that also includes a literal raft toy from Pandaria that fishers have used for years to reach pools for efficient fishing. Legion, as I recall, did this quite a bit since the Underlight Angler or whatever the fishing rod artifact was called includes Water Walking as a power.

Fishing has always been boring in WoW. Would be nice to get something new.

1 Like

The Dragonflight fishing options were fun. Fishing for lunkers was always entertaining. Getting to do ice fishing was also a neat twist on rare pools. Spearing the shark steaks for the dailies was alright, felt like the most tedious after awhile. Setting the nets in DF, I’d always forget what ones I’d done, save for the average nets on the edge of Waking Shores.

I feel like they’ve explored fishing pretty well.

1 Like

I skipped Dragonflight and only came back during TWW. Seems like I missed out on some interesting things.

1 Like

Yeppers. Fishing in DF had a lot of new methods. You built and upgraded nets, got to fish different zone pools as you increased your renown. It was time consuming but neat.

I did like fishing for lunkers. I forgot about that.

1 Like

I just wish i could get some decent stuff from places other than pools. Previously I could get random normal fish from open water fishing, now its mostly junk.

We had nets in Legion with our fishing artifact. They could have brought that idea forward. Fishing with explosives could be a thing as well.

Using fish to enhance fishing or to catch specific other fish is an interesting twist in TWW. More ideas like the coelancanth could also be explored.

Using the Algari Weaverline to have enhanced fishing on alts is also interesting.

Any idea that involves faster fishing will instantly be balanced by an escalation of mat costs.

Any idea that makes fishing more rewarding invites bots and degenerate exploits and ruins the whole experience (see DF)

Fishing is a very delicate balance of atmosphere and opportunity, structure and structurelessness.

2 Likes

use dynamite.

i feel like we could do fishing with candy corn.

1 Like

Sounds like we just did that in DF. There is lots to do with fishing this expansion.

And blizzard is trying to get away from bots in fishing - there are pools in the sea away from shore right now.

Are you even fishing this expansion?

Fishing in Palia is actually pretty good. Fishing in the original Fable was somehow my favorite thing to do. But I think that’s mostly because I was making gold to buy that uber sword. lol

1 Like

i use the addon and make it so when Im fishing it plays the Zelda n64 version fishing music

They could Make it so it’s not a wait n click for it

If only we could steal npc headgear with the rod

Finally a good use for that garbage.

The colors probably would attract fishies. I’ve never known any except catfish to be attracted to sugary stuff though. Most fishies prefer goo laden bugs, chunks of meat, some will go after veggies like chopped cauliflower or real corn.

Get yer fishing pole and test this out Bread!

dont get them started…lol…they’ll turn fishing into some insane systems like theyve done with mining and herbing, etc.

our rivers around here are too polluted. :frowning: not safe to fish. fish in nearby river have high levels of mercury in them. wolf river is very polluted and has been designated a superfund site. dunno if they finished cleaning it up yet.

1 Like

What I dont understand is how is fishing any different than skinning, mining or herbing?
Its all gathering natural resources. …you’d THINK theyd ALL be secondary professions.