Water Strider nerf IS bad. Here's why

Oh, yikes. Yeah in my opinion it should keep it like it always has, and if it can have two have two benefits so what.

5 Likes

And you have enjoyed years of access to a mount ability not previously available, that even as we write this is not available to those who did not raise the reoutation and acquire the mount.

I do think it is preposterous to remove the unique ability from water striders, but I don’t buy your argument, because you already have had the benefit of your effort.

2 Likes

Ion has acknowledged that Water Striders will no longer work before level 100, and are working on a solution for this.

How about just adding something to the game without the obligatory removal of something else? Novel.

Edit: wasn’t meant to be direct response to you, Fall. Don’t bite my head off :frowning:

14 Likes

My opinion on this subject is nuanced so bear with me.

Some things should be time-limited rewards like consumables and toys. Some should not be.

Ultimately it depends on how much value it brings to the game. Take for instance the revamped armor appearances we got in Legion. Was it alright to rebuild aesthetics from earlier expansions into a more detailed set? Absolutely! This was a clear win for the team to gain attraction to a new expansion without having to dream up new designs. In fact I support them doing one of these each expansion going forward as those sets are beloved and more detailed versions of them are welcome.

Some may not like my position there but I would ask them if they’d rather all things be lost to time and if they don’t see value in them being updated.

Water walking is also one of those things. While the quests were relevant in that time and space, I do think giving new players a new pursuit (in a base item component like they are doing) brings value to the game without diminishing yours. They won’t be doing Nat Pagle quests but they will have to earn those components anyway. What makes one pursuit more worthy of another? You have the mount which belonged to that expansion. They do not. That should be enough reward.

3 Likes

The SMART solution was to let it keep water walking, but disallow it the benefits of anti daze/parachute, ala Sky Golem. But that was beyond them, they couldn’t figure that out.

17 Likes

Same. I have 3 mounts hotkeyed.

One does darkwater skate if I’m swimming, otherwise, giant raven. One is merchant yak. One is waterstrider for whenever a puddle stands in my path.

grats. your reward is that you got to walk on water from the day you got it until the day the patch hits.

this is such a lame argument. just put the “walks on water” ability in your mount bar and go forth. It’s not worth the time/angst investment to complain about this.

no, because then water strider would still be everyone’s default mount

2 Likes

The horror. If you, for some reason, want to continue using that ugly mount everywhere, then just take the free equipment you get once from the Anglers and put it back onto the strider :roll_eyes:

Or, be a sane person and enjoy your more favourite looking mounts being able to have uses.

9 Likes

Haha no worries, I’m baffled by it all too! And agree.

How is having to buy 34 of them not devaluing my efforts. The mount is account wide all my character can currently use it for FREE.

19 Likes

Can someone link me the relevant article about this update, please?

1 Like

It was never ‘everyones’ default mount. That continues to be a ridiculous argument - just look around how many people do you see using a water strider in the city.

10 Likes

You won’t have to buy anything if you don’t opt out of it. Players with Walter Striders will get a water walking item for free. If you don’t choose to replace it, all is well.

1 Like

How often is anyone even on the water strider? The 45 sec it takes to cross the water and get to the objective? And when you’re done, you’re right back on your mount of choice. It’s not so inconvenient that they need to remove it and re-add it in a different way. Especially since they have the solution with the Sky Golem exclusion.

7 Likes

I personally don’t care what mount anyone uses and think the argument that “too many people use x mount” is stupid.

but if blizzard let us keep water walking AND have another ability on the water walking mount, that wouldn’t address the issue of the water walking mount having a clear advantage (in some people’s minds) that they were trying to address (I think) with this change.

1 Like

You are talking like each of these items act the same across the account. So someone can only have water walking on all their characters, or no daze on all their characters ?

1 Like

Fair point, yeah. Multiple equipment slots would be nice, like two :stuck_out_tongue: Then I think the problem would be entirely negated.

1 Like

You have to be covering your eyes if you never see people solely on the water strider in the open world. Especially zones like Nazmir.

4 Likes

Who cares? I’ll be flying anyway.