Watch Associate Game Director Morgan Day’s Interview on Warcraft Radio

First time dealing with said person?

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t get it either. Unless it’s the secret video radio discussion held everyday and occasionally declassified for us plebeians.

:blue_square: :black_large_square: :diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside: :blue_square: :black_large_square: :diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside:

Did he make sure to mention the fact they failed miserably with the very late launch of the catalyst system by making the exact same mistake they made during legion with the legendary vendor coming way to late and how they straight up lied to their customers saying they learned from the experience and will do better in the future which is now?

So true.

Legion, Legendary system was finally good at the very end.
Learned their lesson?
No. BFA corruption vendors came as an after thought way too late.
Learned their lesson?
No. SL, everything has felt like it has been improved after the fact, way too late.

2 Likes

This is half true. Esports are fine and do work, the problem is MMOs are not something you can really turn into an e-sport properly without offering a more standardized environment.

It works for League because it’s a competitive game, it works for shooters because they are competitive. These things show people what they want to see, an entertaining fight dictated primarily by skill except in niche cases like Hearthstone where RNG does happen, but there is a level of skill in making your hand work to win.

Esports in WoW are just bad because for PvE it relies too much on gear acquisition, and having addon coders at your back to code things on the fly to do fights that Blizzard deliberately makes convoluted to try and outwit addons. It’s a square peg in a round hole. For PvP this is due to Blizzard’s complete incompetence at balancing things in PvP or caring to. That was why all the esports circuits during TBC and Wrath dropped WoW Arena from their lineups when Cataclysm hit because Blizzard refused to do anything about death knights, pve gear, or paladins for most of Wrath and Cataclysm was shaping up to be the exact same issue with the first season being dominated by EMFH and 2x PvE trinket dps teams.

That said, RWF would be better if Blizzard actually tried to standardize the event, like give the top 10 guilds access to a special server where they can just gear up characters and race with those in a standardized environment. Make bosses drop orbs that can be exchanged for currency and allow loot master to distribute those orbs on that test server to the players the guild wants so it isn’t a case of “Well this guild is full t4, half our roster isn’t, we’re screwed.”

This has always been Blizzard’s biggest problem. People make things for them, and Blizzard refuses to actually get involved when it could be something really great if they had any actual support from the company to a competent degree. DOTA was the exact same way, Blizzard adamantly refused to do anything with DOTA despite it being a powerhouse on WC3 and clearly something ready to define a genre. They only got involved after Valve contacted I think Icefrog to make DOTA 2, and Blizzard’s involvement boiled down to “Well it was made with our map maker so we retain all rights to it” which didn’t fly in court and instead they had to namechange Blizzard DOTA to Heroes of the Storm. If you want an idea of how dumb this was on their part, DOTA 2 and League of Legends are monoliths in esports, HOTS is dead, and when Auto Chess became popular on DOTA 2 Valve IMMEDIATELY got involved to try and make something with it, albeit the creator and Valve disagreed on how best to handle it as a standalone so the community was divided.

2 Likes

He addressed this. He said class utility, in this case mortal strike, was a design choice. It was not a bug.

It’s a video recorded interview you can watch on YouTube. I think the interviewer also has a podcast or radio show. Who knows.

1 Like

My takeaway: I really should start a “race to world first archeology” community.

1 Like

But this does not confirm your claims

Morgan Day as associate game director… azeroth have mercy :tired_face:
I just can’t stand his replies that either border ‘lying’ or acts clueless but that they are looking at it.

Him, Ion, and Danuser I just can’t stand anymore.

No one cares.

Stop making WoW an e-sport.

4 Likes

Yes, it does.

2 Likes