Was Xe'ra good or evil?

What I’m saying is that the player character has done much worse things to other villains compared to Xe’ra forging Illidan against his will.

1 Like

Oh, okay, so “it’s fine as long as someone else does something worse” is the reasoning. Got it!

So it’s fine that Illidan blew up Xe’ra when she tried to force her will on him, because we’ve done much worse?

I got it right, yes?

1 Like

In my opinion, which sees Illidan as a villain, it would have been nice if Xe’ra had disintegrated him into pure light.

The opposite, however, I do not see favorably, because, I repeat, I see Illidan as a villain.

1 Like

Oh hey I know that feeling. Though not quite that extreme, I still get people saying they will pray for me. so much prayer, for my assuredly damned soul.

It really is a pain to deal with people like that.

3 Likes

Most people see him as a villian. He’s just a better character and has been around longer, which is why people like him

1 Like

Whether or not the player has done worse really has no relation to the question of if Xe’ra is evil for what she was trying to do to Illidan.

5 Likes

I understand that it has a lot to do, precisely to understand the moral parameters of that universe in which the character in question is inserted.

I need to know where to start to formulate my argument.

1 Like

In my opinion, both can be villains. Xe’ra got what was coming to her, and now Illidan has effectively imprisoned himself with Sargeras.

So win-win.

Two terrible people, both gone.

And Xe’ra at least got to finally be useful as a battery for the Crucible!!

1 Like

The perspective of whoever answers the question, from behind their phone/keyboard/whatnot.

It’s not the same thing, especially since we saw something similar happen to Sylvanas recently.

Both Illidan and Sylvanas did the evil they wanted to do and then decided to stop and let themselves be punished.

I agree, Xe’ra should have chosen to stop. Yes, I think we’re in agreement. Illidan and Sylvanas are not as bad, because they made the choice to stop.

Xe’ra did not, therefore she is worse. She got what was coming to her.

1 Like

I mean for Xe’ra it literally is just a setback, she just got sent back to the Light realm to reform eventually like any other cosmic being. So it is not like Illidan even ACTUALLY killed her. He just gave her a mandatory vacation.

Usually I choose to ignore it and move on, but in this case I would like to express my disapproval when my words are distorted.

It’s a conversation I make no effort to continue participating in.

2 Likes

I mean…

You made the distinction that Illidan and Sylvanas chose to stop doing their evil. They let themselves be punished.

Is that not better than choosing to continue doing your evil and avoiding punishment?

Is Xe’ra less evil because she had to be stopped by someone else instead of making the choice herself?

1 Like

If that’s what you understood based on what I wrote, I recommend re-reading it.

I’m re-reading it, and perhaps I’m missing something.

You made the distinction that Illidan and Sylvanas did the evil they wanted to do, then stopped and accepted their punishments.

Xe’ra did the evil she wanted to do, but didn’t stop until someone stopped her with laser eyes.

You’re not saying Xe’ra is more evil for refusing to stop. You’re not saying Xe’ra is less evil for refusing to stop.

So what are you saying?

1 Like

Pizza the hut scared me as a kid, especially when he started eating himself.

4 Likes

I said that what happened to Illidan was something similar to what we saw with Sylvanas recently. They both did whatever evil they wanted, so when the story demanded that the villain finally be punished, they allowed themselves to be punished.

In both cases I was left with the feeling that we only managed to win because of the villain. And that kind of victory feels more like a defeat, really.

That said, starting from the point where I consider Illidan a villain, I consider his act of killing Xe’ra to be absurd, as she was not a villain and the game did not treat her that way. I understand that she was wrong to try to forge Illidan against his will, but that mistake doesn’t justify what happened later.

And I say that our actions are relevant for me to form my argument, because in Dragonflight we massacred dragon eggs simply because they were not aligned with our positions, and the game treated this as irrelevant and normal.

If these are the game’s parameters for determining morality within WoW, then Xe’ra’s act against Illidan becomes even more banal.

All of this, however, comes from my point of view that Illidan is a villain.

1 Like

I’m saying that his past sins Which we already killed him for, don’t make those actions right when performed by someone else.

Besides Maiev made the decision to free his demon hunters,and others decided that we needed to revive Illidan himself so we can lay his old chestnuts to rest for the purposes of this discussion.

You also seem to forget that X’era herself was the biggest fan of his revival.

Being fair all sapient food blobs are by all rights a bit terrifying.

1 Like