Was Spy around during vanilla?

New drinking game - Take a drink for everytime a rogue cries about the spy addon.

4 Likes

I recall using addon call ‘Natur EnemyCastBar’ back then which had similar capabilities (ability to detect stealthing rogues + other skills etc
) and quick search on google showed that it had history going as far back as early 2006 on wowinterface.

OP! here is your answer from a vanilla rogue player!

back then i’ve never heard of an addon to detect stealth players nor that i faced any people aoe’ing randomly at my spot in vanilla, but there was addon i used to use cus it was showing nearby enemy players but it wasn’t showing rogues, so in a simple words? my Rogue life was so free in vanilla

but now in classic as a rogue? i feel like someone is watching my screen and yelling to every enemy that i’m here! not to mention that once i ress and try to stealth? everyone knows the cords of my stealth spot so due spy they rush there & aoe.

edit:
@Zilzikt-barthilas i was using Natur EnemyCastBar myself and it was only announcing the rogue appearance back in vanilla it never showed the stealth not untill TBC&arena arrive so the dev started making it show if the rogue stealthed or vanished.

1 Like

They could ban it somehow. It’s a computer.

Yes. But it was called Paranoia back then. Spy is an evolution of that. Spy came later and combined the features some other mods had, like paranoia, into one package.

2 Likes

As has been said, there were similar addons.

With that said, they were not nearly as rebust and effective. Nor was there use as widespread due to streamers not really being a thing.

So is it like a super mod? It uses many different addons in conjunction with each other?

It was but I never used it
 I just make sure to have my sound turned on so I could hear the stealth noise (and had my combat log visible)

It reads your combat log and just announces that someone is near you.

I was replying to Dot, when she stated this: “Spy came later and combined the features some other mods had, like paranoia, into one package.”
I understand it reads the combat log.

It doesn’t tell anyone the coordinates where you are located.
It gives the person that has the add on the coordinates where they were when it detected someone.
You can be anywhere in a 200 yard range for those coordinates.

1 Like

Delete all your addons or GTFO then.

The API we had access to back then is what should govern IMO, not whether or not someone figured out how to utilize it back then. Otherwise we need to kill other addons like elvui. The big issue is that it’s 2019 so getting the word out on stuff is super easy.

As I said before I don’t think spy is an addon that is really beneficial to the overall competitive spirit of pvp. Personally I’d argue it should probably be broken because of that.

1 Like

Pretty much. which if combing what other addons do is wrong then Blizzard has screwed up adding addon features to base UI

I played a shaman during vanilla and loved it so much I rolled one for classic. Part of that fun was fighting rogues and hearing stealth detection pop in and out as I frantically dropped totems to get the first attack. While I dont use spy addon the idea of knowing my favorite enemey is in the area takes the fun out of it, but I do recall its use during vanilla it was considered a noob tool and carried shame with it. Like others have said split your combat log and you can see the same data the addon gives you. Its also useful to see who can craft certain items while you are in a city.

Addons themselves were considered cheating by the same people who called those addon users noobs. Lmfao That’s why their opinions matter little to me on the subject.

Well it’ll show a tab of someone who is near you kind of like a DPS meter but it specifically pings you about detecting a stealth action (I assume prowl but not sure if I’ve seen that). That’s the big draw of spy specifically as opposed to other addons.

If they wanted to break it seems like all they’d have to do is hide stealth/prowl on combat logs.

If only it were that simple. there’s more to it than that.

Btw where’s the outrage over Healers Have To Die? It’s equally a “cheating” addon or “hack” by the logic of most people that hate Spy.

1 Like

Yes, and I used it.