Was Odyn good or evil?

Steals part of Ulduar weakening its defenses ultimately baring the responsibility of Yogg escaping and the thousands of deaths that Loken caused in his absence.

Enslaves Vrykul and creates a murder cult to serve him.

Nearly gives the Legion one of the Pillars.

Does nothing about the Legion invasion until they attack him.

7 Likes

I find it is interesting that it is primarily horde players who accuse Odyn of being a terrible villain. Where the alliance is more on his side.

Suppose its because their warchief already choose a side in that argument.

Odyn has done so dodgy stuff but ultimately it was for the right reasons. I mean the whole Valkyr fiasco ended up being a good move. Without his creation of them we never would have got spirit healers, all us champions would be stuck dead in shadowlands.

Vyrkul had always been serving Odyn since they were created they were programed that way by the titans. they have evolved since then but still seem to willingly serve him.

You realise that him and his stormforged he had created were trapped in the halls of valor by Helya. He literally couldn’t do anything and had to work through a Proxy to bring us to the halls of valor.

I’m sure if he had been able to be present he would have dealt with Loken. Its more on Helya for being deceived by Loken and tricked into trapping Odyn in the Halls of Valor. Can’t really blame Odyn for Loken or the damage he caused when he couldn’t do anything about it.

4 Likes

The correct answer is defective machine.

1 Like

Partially true, but Odyn is also a creepy thing. I didn’t really care to prove my valor to him after I got the Aegis. It’s like the battlelord didn’t entertain him enough, so he had to harass everyone for the entire expansion.

To be fair im not sure why Odyn would even parley with the horde after Sylvanas’s stunt, Class hall leader or not if you did stormheim you were working with the Horde.

Its the same reason I hate how alliance champions are treated when we go to the halls as we are accused of not being trust worthy yet we assisted genn in saving Eyir.

Suppose that is just lazy blizzard writing.

5 Likes

Which isn’t really great justification.

Or maybe the world would have compensated differently without them.

1 Like

They didn’t though. The Alliance went into Skold-Ashil slaughtering shieldmaidens to get to Sylvanas. “Saving Eyir” was entirely accidental, and there’s nothing proving that Sylvanas would have even been successful without their intervention. They’re accused of not being worthy because they’re not.

1 Like

Yet we still did stop Sylvanas and save Eyir from her and Helya. I mean you have one faction that incidentally saved one of his allies. Then you have one faction whose leader is actively working with his Enemy.

It make no sense for him to treat them the same.

4 Likes

It does, because they’re both outsiders that decided they could come in and kill people to get what they want. Of course Eyir thinks were all dirtbags… but it doesn’t matter because we beat the crap out of her champion, and get the Aegis.

5 Likes

Technically the player actually isn’t required to kill anything in Skold-Ashil; the actual quests are all information and object collection quests. So Alliance or Horde, neither necessarily had to have slaughtered a bunch of Eyir’s adherents.

Conversely, only the Horde actually has an army assaulting the vault’s defenders when players arrive.

Admittedly the Eyir scenario in general doesn’t make a ton of sense, as based on the immediately preceding quests it’s indicated that one needs to commune with Ashildir to even get into the vault and see Eyir, yet Sylvanas, Genn and their respective entourages of soldiers somehow seemed to just ignore that requirement and waltz right in ahead of the player.

8 Likes

my Guess that Sylvanas was always a step ahead of the player and riled up the the Shieldmaidens,(she had killed a few at the entrance of the vault) which is why they simply won’t let outsiders past. However we needed to get past them to get to Sylvanas.

Not good

Not evil

Just a self serving Jerk. (I’d say another word but it prob be censored for starting with a D)

Odyn is that DnD player who rolled a paladin and keeps delaying the game because he has to argue with the DM that killing that one lady - and that box of puppies, and that house full of orphans - was totally necessary and what do you mean he’s at risk of changing alignments?

9 Likes

I am not sure I’d call Odyn good or evil. In a sense he was following his programming. Keepers might be very personable but they are at the end of the day magic robots created to keep Azeroth safe. In Odyn’s case was patterned after Aman’Thul, the head of the Pantheon. Thus by design he likely was preconditioned to never get told no like… ever. He is programmed to be the boss.

So, basically he looked at all the variables in the problem of Azeroth’s safety, and concluded that the would-be aspects could never handle the job. Then when the other keepers gasp overrode him, Odyn went on to take matters into his own hands—He had to fulfill his prime directive, no matter what he had to do in order to achieve it. From his perspective the other keepers had empowered the Aspects to shirk their sacred charges, and he was basically protecting Azeroth alone. It was a moment where desperate times called for desperate measures.

Now that does not change the fact what he did in the name of ‘the greater good’ was awful, and that he is a terrible person. It just explains why he is a terrible person.

4 Likes

“object collection quests” where you kill mobs and you loot their corpses to collect the items.

The player communes with Ashaldir, who lowers the barrier to the temple. At that point, there’s nothing stopping them, it’s not like Genn or Sylvanas was going to ask permission.

1 Like

Helya wasn’t tricked by Loken.

Loken knew that Helya was murdered by Odyn and forced to become a Val’kyr against her will.

Loken made a deal with Helya. Helya would use her magic to seal Odyn and his armies within the halls (like she did with Ra-den to seal away the elemental lords in the elemental planes) and Loken will break Helya and the Val’kyr from Odyns chains. Majority of the Val’kyr sided with Helya during this rebellion. Some remained with Odyn. These would later be lead by Eyir. Some gave Helya and Odyn the middle finger and decided to live in the shadowlands. Those Val’kyr would later be known as “spirit healers”.

sorry, been offline for a while…but would most humans like and support Odyn and his methods then, at least? From THEIR perspective?

The thing about humans is that they don’t have as much of a racial hivemind than many of the other races (the trade off being that they’re a bit bland). So it’s unclear what “most humans” would think if Odyn’s treatment of Helya was common knowledge.

Unfortunately, if one never reads any of the supplementary material (like Chronicle or the artifact research), they’d never know what he did to her. So reasonably, that ignorance exists in lore too. I’d like to imagine that most humans with common decency would condemn said actions.

This of course doesn’t excuse that Helya is an openly hostile entity now. An entity with an upsetting backstory, but a hostile entity nonetheless.

3 Likes

Odyn is awful. Under his watch, he turned Helya into an undead slave, failed to stop Loken’s Corruption at the hands of yogg saron. Got trapped in a realm of his own making because of his arrogance therefore nullifying his ability to play any major part in the affairs of Azeroth until like last week. Made a deal with death to attain these powers to make shiny ghosts by leaving his eye in the realm of the dead for them to look back at us! He is responsible for this thinning of the veil between life and death where so many strange things are happening now that brings from vol’jin to n’Zoth are all in a tissy wondering what’s going on. Odyn should be a raid boss. We should destroy him. Helya is a victim. He’s the Light’s version of the Lich King.

Is Odyn too high IQ for people? It’s like people want to lump him in a clearly defined morality system where he can easily be categorized. He’s actually morally grey.

7 Likes