Was Kotick and co. wasting WoW's Dev Resources?

The following information comes from a tweet from the Overwatch producer, Tracy Kennedy, after Kotick blamed the share price conundrum on the delay of Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4.

“Bobby, tell everyone about the random projects for OW1 you all would shove on us, the team would do OT [overtime] for only them to get cancelled and for months of OW2 dev [time] to have been lost. Or how almost entire teams are turning over and citing you as the reason. Don’t be shy.”

and

“Oh wait that’s right you hide behind scapegoats because you’re a coward, my mistake. The entire world will remember you to be a greedy joke, and there’s nothing you can do to change that. We outlasted you and we won. Byeee ! :wave:

Essentially, Bobby would plan content for Overwatch 1 after Overwatch 2 was known to be in production; he would then cancel his own proposed content and cut into Overwatch 2 development time and resources. Do we think something similar could explain our lack of content for WoW during Shadowlands’ life cycle?

22 Likes

The pacing for the content we have received during this expansion is not that far off from normal. And yes, I am aware it is slower, which is why I said not far off. They will just blame covid like everyone else, though this industry is literally almost completely unaffected by any virus.

3 Likes

Pacing was fine concidering we were where we were in the pandemic

3 Likes

Perhaps content and workforce were getting cut and that affected the overall quality of the final product? Or maybe this is baseless assumption on my part. Who knows, I don’t. I’m just a noob.

Seeing what they did to WC3 : Reforged, what he’s saying seems very plausible.

I would call it more mismanagement. He probably didn’t give them enough resources for these grandiose projects then inevitably had to scale them back leaving them in a state of total disarray.

Unfortunately for Tracy Kennedy, I think he’s wrong. Bobby is the winner who exploited his employees, betrayed the trust of his customers, and now gets to laugh his way out with a ludicrous payout for a legacy he had no part in building.

13 Likes

the big question is why he cancelled - the content was crap and deserved to be cancelled?

? this I am doubtful

Everyone responsible for the decision making behind game development (both in game functionality and lore) have been wasting resources, yes.

Bobby: " Are you-- I mean . . . Ohhhhhh, you got me! Nothing left for me to do now but tuck my . . . $400,000,000 dollars between my legs and sneak home to my floating castle in the sky aboard my helo-yacht."

8 Likes

Well first of all, we don’t even know what really happened in regards to what Mrs. Kennedy is talking about. We have one side of the story, but that’s about it.

I will say, I don’t think it is professional to publicly bash and accuse your boss of things. I certainly wouldn’t want my employees doing that type of stuff to me.

1 Like

especially when it makes them look like teenagers - I don’t care if he wasted resources but hiring childish brats ends up reflecting on the games. Not that I play overwatch, maybe that is why.

This is literally one side of the story, and a tweet at that.

Is this company entirely full of toddlers? Most companies, Kennedy would be finding another source of income.

1 Like

I don’t understand how you can think Blizzard “exploits” their employees.

Its quite obvious they do absolutely nothing all week.

3 Likes

Sounds angry = emotional = can’t trust

2 Likes

I would be pretty emotional too if the CEO of my company kept wasting my developers’ time and then went public and blamed us for the stock price falling.

4 Likes

But my dude, actually concentrating on work deprives me of my creative juices.

If I do actual work, my grand vison will suffer!

Hold my beer, I got some crawling to do.

No one who has worked for the guy has ever had a nice thing to say about him. Like, trying to paint those who have called him out on his behavior as childish, is seriously deflecting away from the total trash human being he is. Like, Tim Schafer was saying much worse about the guy in 2010, and Tim Schafer is probably THE most respected figure in game development among developers.

4 Likes

And he hired trash employees. Maybe if he had put a little more emphasis on maturity when he hired this entire mess wouldn’t have happened.

I understand being angry, but coming across as angry isn’t going to help your stance.

I found Bobby’s burner Classic alt.

4 Likes

Oh I agree, I don’t necessarily agree with the delivery of the second part of her tweet, but I posted it for the full thing. I feel cutting it out would be disingenuous.