Was BFA a successful expansion?

It was a derogatory term used to describe people who started in Wrath and wanted/where used to the game being dumbed down and easy mode with faceroll leveling and dungeons.

2 Likes

This is such a garbage statistic only a white knight would post it.

BFA had 6 months of online pre-sale to get to that figure.

BC and Wrath people had to physically go to a store or several, if it was sold out to buy a copy on the day of release.

Its hardly comparable.

5 Likes

it was the fastest selling expansion

not the best selling

1 Like

Yeah then we play classic later and see Ulduar and ICC was more difficult than any Vanilla raid…

I imagine a better indicator would be how many people buy Shadowlands. Those are the people who probably stuck around through BFA or at least spent time at 120.

If SL sells the same 3ish million copies that BfA, Legion and Warlords did…then you could probably say that BFA was objectively as successful as the others.

Of course, you don’t need SL to play Classic. That’s gonna be a new consideration this time around.

No

Aren’t token prices bound to go up regardless of whether the expac is good or not?

Legion and WoD have very similar numbers and had pre-sales. Are we going to move the goalposts all the way back to the “buy-a-physical-copy” or it doesn’t count model?

I get it, anyone who says something contrary (or in my case, based on actual stats) must be a white knight. You’re pathetic.

Successful launch sales, sure. Successful in retaining players and their image of BFA, most likely not.

1 Like

Depends on what you mean by successful. It made money. It didn’t kill the game. Most of it was fun, even if a lot of the systems weren’t. I don’t think it was a massive success, but I sure wouldn’t call it a complete failure either.

But since no one really has any data on the retaining front, it’s all noise that serves someone’s white knight/petulant hater agenda and is therefore irrelevant.

1 Like

It’s irrelevant because it’s showing the sales of an expansion before anyone even had a chance to play it. How can you use that to measure the success of a product is designed to maintain retention? It’s an interesting statistic, but it really only shows that people were excited to try it.

Money wise sure, they made a killing cutting corners and rehashing Legion features.

Content wise, it was a s*** show and continued to trample on the faith customers have in this franchise.

WoD was a better expansion in my mind. At least classes were fun, alt friendly, reasonably balanced, didn’t have artifact/essence bs or crazy titanforging

4 Likes

You chose to compare it to prior xpacs that were only sold in retail outlets and did not have a pre-sale option.

To say it was a success compared to the most successful years of the games history is quite frankly delusional. BFA tanked within 3 months of release.

Both of those xpacs continued to grow and retain beyond their opening sales date.

Good job falling for the white knight semantics of their sales pitch…

4 Likes

Well, I kept playing and subbing every month so it was successful in keeping me around. However, there were a lot more problems with this expansion compared to Legion and I plan on no longer playing in Shadowlands if it ends up with the same problems as it did this time around.

Yeah BFA was a total cash grab. Unfinished and broken release with a 1+ year long final patch of recycled zones/content.

There were some aspects that were fun this xpac but overall its more ghetto than WoD.

5 Likes

WoD may have a word with you on that.

If you could see through your rage and read what I typed, “By some metrics, BFA was the most successful day 1 expansion launch in WoW history.” You’re just here to preach and belittle people.

The post is a week old and you’re just trying to be a tough guy. If I’m a white knight you’re just a coward. Enjoy.

Just because its a week old doesnt make it less ridiculous.

1 Like

Its literally statistics dude. If my numbers bother you, make up your own.