Warrior leveling

Yes I’ve heard the so called horror stories and how 90% of us won’t finish the warrior experience to level 60.

That being said I leveled a warrior up mid TBC and was wondering if it was a world of difference in 1.12 than TBC or slightly the same?

Cheers

1 Like

Mostly the same.

Honestly. Leveling a warrior is nowhere near as bad as a paladin…

3 Likes

Depends exactly when you leveled in TBC. At the beginning it would have been a similar experience. Patch 2.3 made leveling much easier. XP needed to level was reduced, quests gave more xp, many elite mobs and quests were changed to be soloable.

2 Likes

Protection paladin is very efficient for leveling in vanilla. Not going to kill super fast, but you have no downtime, and pulling multiple mobs wont kill you. Much faster than a warrior.

1 Like

AoE grinding is a completely different ballpark and not going to be everybodies cup of tea. As far as a GENERAL leveling experience goes… Warrior is a bit smoother than waiting for paladin auto attacks to clear mobs.

I grind personally and wind up enough gold to buy mount @40 and then some and usually halfway to epic mount by 60…

I dono about that, Warrior is much more of a pain, until about 36. Once you get WW it picks up for sure, but until then it’s a pain most people drop the class by late 20’s.

Pally’s just have much more to do and a lot less down time, you can kill mobs without mana as a pally at least, while on a warrior defias pillagers are going to own you.

As for TBC Vs Vanilla, TBC is much easyier you just have more options / Skills by 2.0.1 so it helps a lot not having to only auto attack / rend till 22?

1 Like

Never been able to make paladin aoe grinding work, at least not on a fresh start, maybe it works when you feed gear/enchants/etc to them. But when I said multiple mobs, I was referring to the fact that pulling extra mobs wasn’t a death sentence, and often doesn’t even require downtime afterwards as a paladin.

Warriors on the other hand have a hard time dealing with more than one mob at a time early on. Later on they get abilities that make killing 2-3 mobs doable, but this generally requires downtime after the fight to recover health.

Warriors spend most of their time auto attacking. Rage starvation is also a big problem, so even when you do start getting offensive abilities, you don’t get to use them that much. Paladins on the other hand start getting many useful abilities very early in the game.

1 Like

it was not that bad really it was more about the fun of fighting to the death and the cool weapons. arms was fun in pvp also

Paladins are more boring than anything, they’re very safe levelers. You can heal, bubble, and pull multiple enemies a lot more safely and efficiently than Warriors can.

Warriors struggle against just about everything until about level 30 when they get their Whirlwind Axe, and then things become much easier once you get Mortal Strike and are actually able to put out damage.

Both of them are slow levelers, but Paladins are slow because they dont have a lot of damage. Warriors are slow because they’re essentially auto attacking and Heroic Striking most enemies and get parried/dodged/misses a lot of the time.

3 Likes

You gotta be kidding me right the only challenge a paladin has is pulling which don’t get me wrong is FRUSTRATING but you have bubble blessing of protection lay on hands, stun and heals to keep you from dying.

4 Likes

Have you ever repeatedly jabbed a fork into your eyes until you passed out? Less painful than leveling a warrior.

1 Like

Granted it was a pserver, but it wasn’t as bad as everyone made it out to be. I think it’s a mindset also. I wasn’t out to level as fast as I could. I leveled to have fun and take my time. I did the same instances over and over again for kicks.

College was wild, man.

2 Likes

LOL we must have been in the same fraternity. :smile:

Granted.

Paladins can survive. So you die a little bit less/more mechanics available to not die…

You’re still just auto attacking until you hit the plaguelands no matter which way you look at it.

I never did a warrior in actual vanilla, but I did do one on a pserver and I found much of their whole stigma to be mostly untrue.

They do suck very early on, but I find that by the time I could do WC and get that caster staff quest reward (yes seriously, caster staff… It’s the best 2h by far in that level range damage wise) warrior ended up being pretty smooth from then on, and honestly even faster than most of my other classes.

I was then expecting the class to really taper off again as I outleveled the weapon without replacing it, but it easily made it to 29 for corpse maker from RFK. I never ended up getting ww axe and didn’t keep leveling, but it was a class than just kept getting easier and easier as I leveled, and honestly by ~18-20 I felt it was one of the better levelers rather than one of the worst.

The big downsides are the really awful ~1-12 or so and that it’s a pretty boring playstyle since you don’t get any active strikes for a long time.

My advice would be to not level a warrior first. Level something that can level more quickly and farm well first, then use that toon to feed gold and equipment to your warrior as he levels to keep him in tip-top shape. Doing a warrior or pally as your first tune can be painful.

The warrior and pally are probably the most annoying to level at the beginning. For the warrior, the lower-tier talents just don’t improve output very much without the gear to support them… two mobs can still own you. The pally has an easier time earlier due to the prot tree being so powerful from the very first talent (with Redoubt). Then, once the pally gets reactive damage sources going, taking down multiple mobs at once without dying and without losing excessive health becomes fairly straight forward. At low levels the warrior just takes too much damage from mobs and spends a lot of time eating or resting.

However, once the warrior starts to get geared past level 40 or so, the talent synergies really kick in and the warrior passes the pally in terms of leveling ease. This is why you want to have another toon feeding gold to your warrior, so he can keep his gear in good shape while leveling. At higher levels the warrior will be able to level faster going from mob-to-mob while the pally has to try to find higher-densities of mobs to multi-tank (same as the pally was doing before).

I’m not sure what these ‘auto attack’ comments are. Pallies don’t level just with auto-attack damage. They level kinda like dealing damage with a thousand cuts… all of the damage sources come together. Auras, consecration, reactive damage from shield, blessings, shields, judgements, and so on and so forth. Gained at various points while leveling. Unaugmented white damage is only part of it. This is why a paladin has to multi-tank to level decently fast.

-Matt

2 Likes

Didn’t even read past the first paragraph. If you’re trying to level quickly, leveling your main second is slower in 99% of scenarios. Simple as that.

1 Like

If a warrior is your first toon you’re going to have a bad time. If you have a way to feed the warrior gear/potions it won’t be too bad.

1 Like

Again, this all depends if you’re trying to level fast or just be comfortable.

If you’re trying to reach 60 ASAP, I don’t care how hard it is to play your warrior, it’s going to be faster than leveling an alt first.