WARNING: Customer Support and Account Validation

thats odd i have adhd and have little issue with recalling information. now paying attention…

No, it is not. “Hi, I forgot my login information.” is NOT a technical or billing issue, which is what the live contact service was for.

Correct. However, VERY few if any at all, of those companies are gaming companies. Comparing Blizzard to say American Express in terms of live customer support is like comparing a screwdriver to a frying pan. Sure, both are useful tools, but they have completely different uses & purposes. (Although you could use your Amex to pay your Blizzard bill, in the same way you could use the screwdriver to repair your broken frying pan.)

Indeed they did and unlike what was reported here in the forums, they were NOT all Blizzard employees. They laid off the Community Liaison for Fallout76, among others from Bugthesda. However, Live Customer Service Support was already a thing of the past.

Lots of people do, quite successfully. And if they can’t find it on their own, they go to the Customer Support forums, where either other players, “Green-Text Folks” or CS reps will aid them. The only exemption for this is when someone has been banned, because Blizzard’s policy is now & has always been not to discuss publicly a ban.

And did they ask you for a number from that authenticator? If so, then congratulations! They absolutely asked you to verify it was you. It also depends on how long you’ve been away AND if that away status was “not logged into Battle.net at all” or “logged into Battle.net but not into WoW”.

I would not be surprised to discover that it’s a large number of them! I decided recently to create an email just for gaming and when I went to change it on my Blizzard account I was horrified to discover that my old, original email address was still on file. Not only can I not access it, it no longer exists because the company went out of business.

Really? (I whisper it under my breath when my hubby has a screaming fit over something “his computer did”.) I’m not even in IT & I’ve known that one for years. :smiley: Here are a couple more for ya - ID-10-T (just read it LOL) & RTFM (Read The F [you know the rest of this] Manual).

I would say 99% of those CSR’s NEVER told the customer it was an ID-10-T; if the customer wrote that down, they should be able to figure it out & then call back to speak to a supervisor. They might put it into the Call Log notes as part of describing the nature of the call, those notes are private & for the company only. An example of an ID-10-T would be the person who called in to the computer manufacturer requesting a new “cup holder” for their computer because the old one broke. Said “cup holder” being the CD-RoM holder…

As for the OP, whether the error is theirs or not, their point is VALID. If you’ve been playing a game, ANY game, for more than maybe 5 years, you absolutely SHOULD check to ensure all your information is up-to-date & correct. As I mentioned, when I created an email just for my games & went to change my Blizzard account information, I realized I still had the email from 20 years ago as my contact (no wonder I never saw an email invite for Alphas/Betas!). Said email no longer exists at all because the company went out of business some years back. So yes, check anything that requires an email/telephone/physical address regularly (when you have a bunch of things it’s super easy to forget some if you move or even just change your phone number) & keep that information recorded somewhere - remembering to update THAT too!

1 Like

Comes in so many flavors.

Mine peaks at getting “blackouts”. Where my short term memory forgets everything that happened in the previous bit. That only happens like once a year or so.

My memory can be good at recalling information if I am prompted. If that makes sense? Just wont naturally surface the memory.

Usually the not paying attention part is the reason I dont recall things, though. “Yes, I know you told me this, but I was currently on a hyperfixation concerning frogs and their best in home environments for owners, despite not owning a frog with no plans of owning one”

Does Blizzard offer backup email accounts? I have no idea.

Several sites, notably large sites, allow you to put in redundant contact information in case one of them is compromised or disabled somehow.

No clue…but actually a good idea.
I mean, the validator thing ‘should’ be enough if you have it set up, Id hope.
I had mine going, then removed it, then turned it back on. 4 extra bag slots is enough motivation, lol.

Well, FYI on that, I don’t know how the Authenticator works, but I use the Google Authenticator for other 2 factor sites. And when I bought a new phone and copied stuff over, none of the tokens came over for Google. Good I copied those github recovery tokens.

So, simply, no one thing is safe.

yeah, I mean ‘safe’ doesnt really mean anything with all the hackers out there anyway.
After about the dozenth time my sites got hacked into years back the company finally just admitted if someone wants in bad enough, theyre going to get in. All they can do is damage control after the fact.
I think bliz can do something like an account reset to a date prior to the hack…I mean IF they even really are offering customer service anymore, that is.

This is a persistent fear of mine. The email my account is linked to is literally over 20 years old. I do still have the log in info, but it just feels tenuous. I don’t use the email for anything else. I just worry about the day it gets deactivated or something for lack of use.

I do laugh everytime I see that email address though. It’s one of those super lame ones you come up with in highschool. Good times.

You can log into your battle.net account and change your email.

1 Like

I know, I just haven’t ever bothered. I’m exceptionally lazy.

Three words: secrets manager app

Good luck with that. There are people out there that don’t have cell phones they only have home landlines so they ain’t gonna get a verification text message. And they only use there computers to play games and look at youtube videos. So don’t expect much from them as far as technical issues go. Thinking that everyone that plays wow is tech-savy is a waste of time. So, yeah maybe the advise given by the op may help some people.

1 Like

Yeah, thank god no one Really thinks about them, as far as the united states only 2 percent don’t have cell phones, and out of those two percent, the vast majority are 65 and up, I doubt they’re playing online anything. Or even have an email account.

I have a surprise for you. Most of the people that post in this forum are in their 50s 60s and 70s. And close to more than half of the wow population is above 40. People that started playing wow 20 years ago as 20 somethings and 30 somethings are now Grandmas and Grandpas. Wow has a very big and diverse population ranging in age from 8 years old to 80 years old. That is why thinking that everyone is tech-savy ain’t gonna work. A customer help system has to be self intuitive and very easy to negotiate.

3 Likes

And the vast majority of the people that are in their fifties, sixties and seventies playing wow or online games have phones just stop with that nonsense.

1 Like

Nonsense? You have your opinion and I have mine.

Blizzard had live customer support last decade. It was removed to cut costs. Many companies are headed for automation to cut costs. It’s a culling of commerce.

What

2 Likes

The email part seems in accurate. Those people first started using email in their mid 30’s when it became widely available, thanks in no small part to AOL.

Tom Hanks is now 67, and Meg Ryan 62.

I honestly doubt it’s very inaccurate.
Because I was referring to that 2 percent that don’t own a mobile device, and are 65 and over the vast majority of them…

Most likely don’t have an email account.
And I would dare say internet.

Because I bet you, Tom and Meg have cell phones