Warlock professions for endgame/raiding?

I’m really torn between Tailoring/Enchanting and Herbalism/Alchemy

I like both combos and don’t mind leveling either, but I’m just not seeing the endgame value of enchanting or tailoring. Once you have your bis gear/enchants, it’s kind of done.

Does tailoring provide any BiS gear?

Whereas alchemy is required for raiding. Flasks and consumables are always needed, and always valuable

Am I missing something? Is tailoring worth it for endgame? I’m currently leveling tailor/enchant but don’t want to waste the time if it’s not a good choice

Well the thing with alchemy is everything you need for raiding can be bought with gold anyways. And the tailoring bops are not anywhere near bis at this point.

So between those two go with whatever you want. I have tailoring/enchanting and i never even use tailoring aside from making bags for alts. Enchanting can at least turn a decent profit disenchanting and it’s nice not having to find an enchanter when you get an upgrade.

You most certainly want Engineering for endgame. Rest is up to you. But missing engineering is a big mistake.

If you want the most min-maxed option for a fresh lock you’d go engineering/tailoring for the bloodvine set-bonus.

Other options are mining or enchanting for DME jumpruns. I went engi/enchanting on my lock alt. Might switch to tailoring though. tbd.

3 Likes

What bonuses does engineering bring? I just started classic, and never played vanilla so I’m not super versed in all the ins and outs

Look at engineering not like a profession but a skill-tree with additional abilities.

The engineering tools range from utility like speed-increasing boots and trinkets granting you invisibility for several seconds over spell-reflectors for different schools of Magic’s to powerful explosives like Goblin Sapper Charges, grenades and dynamite.

If you are PvE focused any decent guild would highly value you having engineering and even just semi-hardcore guild would probably require you to have it at least on their main-roster.

In PvP it is absolutely irreplaceable due to the already mentioned gadgets being useable in the open world as well as battlegrounds.

Also, regarding my comments on tailoring. The “Bloodvine-set” is one of the best accessible sets for fresh casters at lv. 60. It can be worn throughout the entire game and whilst there are upgrades those are limited to the last two raids and by no means required to clear them.

It can be used without tailoring but the set-bonus is locked behind 300 tailoring skill.

Tailoring is best for locks. You need 16% hit from gear, and bloodvine gives you 4% plus 2% crit. Tailoring engineering is optimal for all raid content.

My favourite combo is to go Herbalism + Engineering

Level an alt up to level 35 (I think 35?) and you can use your level 35 as the toon for Alchemy saving yourself a profession slot on your main.

The Engineering just for bombs / sappers / PvP trinkets / PvP helms etc (the fun profession!). :slight_smile:

I think Enchanting is expensive to level

2 Likes

I love Alch but totally agree with the Engineering advice as meta…just more options. Always a good thing

Gonna nitpick this statement a bit…

There is no warlock BiS gear list that actually ever hitcaps… so not only do you not “need” 16% hit from gear, ideally you’ll never reach it either…

That nitpick aside, you are correct that tailor is currently BiS for locks because of bloodvine… I would however add an additional caveat that you can drop Bloodvine in Naxxramas gear, and it’s of reasonable merit to drop it for 5pc t2.5, as the damage loss is relatively small to the massive stat/survivability gains… Though locks are likely also going to be lower priority for most of the 2.5 set, save maybe helm and shoulds.

Alch/Engineering IMO.

Bloodvine is useless for pvp so its not worth wasting a profession slot to min/max it.

That is fair enough.

Well for the purpose of the game I would go engineering for the shadow reflector as such a profession would be good. Not sure about second profession as such if your character is going for items look into tailoring but mining can give you items for engineering.

Another route would be herb/engineering, but you would need to buy mats for engineering. With it you would be able to get mats for consumables but would be dependent on ah or other characters.

Engineering/Tailoring are the best professions for a raiding warlock.

Bloodvine is currently BiS, and the 3/3 set bonus requires 300 Tailoring.

You don’t need Alchemy to drink potions/fasks.

I’d go with Tailoring/Enchanting. Remember, it isn’t just you. There are plenty of people out there that need things. Whether it is making and selling Bottomless Bags or Bloodvine Set, or getting people Crusader on their latest weapon, there’s continuing need for tailoring and enchanting, especially when you’re part of a guild. Also, don’t forget Mana and Wizard oils from ZG rep.

Herbalism/Alchemy is good for getting consumables, but we’ve seen already that, unless you are a tryhard of tryhards pushing for speed clears, the consumables aren’t really necessary to the degree they were in 2004. Flasks are nice, but you don’t really need them. And, unlike Tailoring, you don’t have something like Bloodvine which requires Alchemy to get the best out of it.

Either one will serve you well, but if you’re in a guild, then as long as someone in the guild has access to things, you can usually get consumables from your guild alchemists if you give them the mats, and your guild enchanters should zap your gear if you bring them mats.

It’s optimal to go skinning/herbalism while leveling for the most gold. You’ll be killing a lot of beasts on your journey which amounts to a decent amount of skins you can vendor or sell on AH.
Herbalism is an insane money maker, not so much at lower levels but in your 30’s you’ll be reaping the rewards from it.
If you have time try to level an alt to 35 with alchemy/enchanting. At 35 you can max out alchemy & be able to transmute Arcanite bars as well as get yourself some nice recipes.
Enchanting is great to have on an alt because you can disenchant b.o.e’s & save the mats for future enchants you’ll need or even sell them when demand is high.
At 60 you’ll want to drop skinning for tailoring as your best in slot (bloodvine set) gives an extra 2% crit buff only if you’re a tailor. You can also craft your own bags which is useful.
Dropping herbalism for engineering only matters if you’re into min/maxing for raids or are a hardcore pvp’er. There are a lot of good trinkets & a big increase to dps with bombs but it will cost you a bit of gold to get it maxed, especially if you don’t have an alt with mining.

Tailoring for the bloodvine set bonus then engineering because engineering is awesome.

Bloodvine is still BiS and you get free stats for wearing it with max tailoring, engineering is one of the professions you will want on your main.

Bloodvine is still preraid BIS, in general, but it all depends on your spell hit. Especially once you start going into ZG, BWL, and AQ, you get more spell hit gear. If you’re at 9% spell hit, which is the cap AFAIK, then you can drop Bloodvine for other pieces without too much issue. The 2% spell crit for having the set is nice, but you can find better individual pieces. For spell hit, Angelista’s Grasp (2%), Zanzil’s Band & Seal (combined 3%), Cloak of Consumption (1%), Soul Corruptor’s Necklace (1%), Bloodtinged Gloves (1%), and Staff of the Ruins (1%), and you’re sitting on 9% easy, and there’s other choices that are just as good or better.

Bloodvine is preraid BIS, but once you start progressing through raiding, there’s a lot of good stuff out there for warlocks.

16% is actually cap vs lvl 63 bosses for spells.
5% for level 62. The increase is pretty savage :S. In general, Warlocks can’t reach spell hit cap without giving up too many other stats though, which usually makes hitting cap a dps loss.

9% hit is for melee main hands/yellow swings and hunters ranged attacks without weapon skill bonuses.

3 Likes