Warlock or Mage for Shadowlands?

Really like both so I’m not sure which to pick… What do you all think will be a better pick for shadowlands?

1 Like

I think you should try both in prepatch and see which fits better for you. I love the demon aspect of warlock. But mages are great. Whichever You’ll have more fun with. Because if you go with the “strongest”, the moment there’s a patch, the strongest will change.

9 Likes

all 3 warlocks specs turned into utter trash on beta so u better off with mage

1 Like

I’m leaning towards Mage. I’ve never had one for my main character & I’m curious. I’ve been leveling a Fire alt & so far it’s pretty fun.

1 Like

Warlock is the superior class, and I’m definitely not biased. Nope. Not me.

8 Likes

neither of both, shadow priest will take over as it is on beta.

1 Like

That’s the beauty of the prepatch, you can test out what you want.

I’ve always preferred warlock. Mage was always too bland for me.

2 Likes

I’m going warlock. The rotations are more interesting for me. The proc Heavy styles of mage aren’t for me. But I’d be lying if I didn’t feel a little jealous of them. Warlock just have that “oomf” I’m looking for. Also bending beings of pure evil to my will is delightful.

1 Like

I remember trying both mage and warlock out in Vanilla.

Warlock gets quests to learn how to summon and control beings from the twisting nether.

I chose warlock after a little while. I especially appreciated the lore given to us in the quests for dreadsteed and doomguard.

Bliz can remove the quests, but they can’t make me forget. It’s why I’ll always prefer warlocks when I play a caster.

3 Likes

Damage is irrelevant, focus more on how the specs you are interested in play and feel.

Afflic is vastly improved compared to retail, and both Destro and Demo are improved upon in not as drastic ways. Mage is effective but boring as sin imo, I’d say give warlock some attention as the beta wraps up.

3 Likes

both will be god tier, just like every xpac before

1 Like

Warlock by far. Much more fun class to play in my opinion. I will keep hunter and warlock as my co-mains.

2 Likes

Why not both? both are super fun

Fixed

Note: hunter is super boring

2 Likes

I find the Warlock tanking pet to be a big advantage while questing that usually makes tackling elite mobs much easier than it is with a mage.

3 Likes

Locks can solo any group quest solo. Not so much with any other class. Even hunters pets aren’t near as good as big blue. And honestly, locks bring so much to the table. A warlock is always needed in a raid and hard to find while there’s 5 mages competing for the same spot.

5 Likes

I created a level 50 template frost mage on the beta and it felt like I had one too many spells with Mirror Image being baseline. I just didn’t have enough keybinds.

Warlocks are worse in what you mentioned I think

1 Like

There is only one answer for this question and it has imps on it :eyes:

1 Like

Mages will get destroyed trying to solo rare elites. I’ve been able to solo all reasonably soloable rare elites on the beta so far on my warlock, even ones a few levels higher than me.

While this is def true, the ability to solo a world elite is hardly a reason to pick one class over another. Let’s be real, especially in a brand new xpac just stand by a rare for 30 seconds and someone else will be along.