Warglaives and Transmog

For starters, I say this as someone who has never really mained a Class that can wear both Warglaives nor plan to so I don’t really have a horse in this race. I am literally as unbias in this situation as I can get.

WITH THAT SAID–

I 100% think that this is a bad move and continues to prove the point that Blizzard is really REALLY inconsistent with their choices lately in a bad way… (Which I brought up in my Long Boi thread that got locked (rebel MVP for life))

To start with, I want to focus on the inconsistent part of this all. The Warglaives were introduced in The Burning Crusade and could be equipped by Warriors or Rogues. Demon Hunter’s would not come into existence in the game for another ~11 Years, well after their conception.

These iconic weapons, still very visually impressive to this day, are beloved by many and you can still see players using them in TBC time walking weeks. These were weapons that Warriors and Rogues took great pride in acquiring, weapons that people still love to wear and show off to this day and are now being limited by a class that was added ~11 years after the fact.

Now, I say its inconsistent because there are other examples that could be made where Blizzard did NOT make this decision!

Shadowmourne. Its a Legendary Weapon that was added in Wrath of the Lich King that is VERY heavily Death Knight themed and I would argue that from a narrative standpoint, not a gameplay/mechanical standpoint, is absolutely a Death Knight weapon first and foremost. Yes, Warrior’s and DK’s were allowed to make them but I argue that was for gameplay reasons as no legendary before had been restricted to a single class, not even the Bow which I believe one of the word first drops of that went to a Warrior or Rogue over a Hunter as a stat stick.

So… Why isn’t Shadowmourne Death Knight only? Following Blizzard’s logic and reasoning for the Warglaives, being iconic to DH’s, shouldn’t Shadowmourne also be Class locked to DK’s considering its basically an attempt at creating another Frostmourne type weapon to combat Frostmourne? Do I think it should be? No, but I am making a point of inconsistency here.

How about Thunderfury? A weapon introduced in Molten Core and a VERY iconic weapon to the game. Jump forward ~11 years, in the same expansion that introduces Demon Hunter’s we get the Artifact Weapon System along with multiple weapon skins/variations. It just so happens that Outlaw Rogues got a very specific skin for their Weapons in the form of Thunderfury.

So, using the same logic applied to Demon Hunter’s, Thunderfury is clearly a Rogue weapon according to the game then yeah? So then, shouldn’t the original Thunderfury be locked to just Rogues as well using the Demon Hunter Warglaives logic? Personally, I disagree but I bring this up to point out inconsistencies with this decision.

I get WHY Blizzard is making this decision. They went through the effort of making this unlock “questline” (not literal) for Demon Hunter’s in Legion that took some effort and luck to get done and it would be really cruddy to just invalidate it. However now you have put yourself in this really really bad situation where you are taking something away from players, something many of them have earned upwards of ~11 years ago, for a class that has only existed for ~3 years.

It comes off as both lacking foresight, being inconsistent, and to a degree feeling kind of lazy in the sense of “The DH unlock process already exists, why do more work?”

Personally, I think there is a medium that can be reached here and really think that Blizzard should re-consider its stance on the Warglaives and their transmog restrictions and I would like to offer up my personal suggestion.

First, let everyone who can use the Warglaives transmog them if they desire.

Second, give a new exclusive reward for anyone who has finished the unlocking process/does the unlocking process in the future in the form of a DH exclusive, 2020, HD remake of the 2007 Warglaives of Azzinoth for transmog.

We have seen Blizzard do HD remakes and how drastically better they look (Looking at you ToS Tier Sets) and I feel this could be a fair compromise. Let players transmog the original 2007 Warglaives and give DH’s who do the unlock process get exclusive, shiny, HD versions of the original Warglaives instead.

I get it, Warglaives are Demon Hunter weapons. They are iconic to Demon Hunter’s and Demon Hunter’s already are way behind in terms of how many Warglaive appearances exist in game. So give them something nice for going through the original unlocking process, the Warglaives of Azzinoth are ICONIC and I feel like that would be a fair trade.

This way, everyone who has the Warglaives and can use them can enjoy them as transmog while rewarding the Demon Hunter’s who went through the original process, and any future Demon Hunter’s who do, can enjoy an exclusive treat for their efforts much in the same way Rogues have their exclusive Thunderfury Artifact skins (In a few different colors)

I honestly believe that the above suggested change would result in a far happier medium than where we sit now. I think it would be far more considerate for players who have had Warglaives for years. I think it would be far more consistent with the rest of the Legendary weapons. I think this would be a good change.

136 Likes

I posted this same suggestion on the ptr forums a few weeks ago with no response, unsurprisingly. I think it’s a good compromise for everyone and hopefully Blizzard’s silence means they’re still working on it, although just saying something to the effect of “we’re considering our options” would be appreciated.

Maybe the power of green text will get noticed by the devs.

9 Likes

I see rebel MVP.
I upvote rebel MVP.

8 Likes

Analogkid was the first player to receive Thori’dal as an Undead Rogue.

Totally agree though, why is a transmog restricted to a class that wasn’t even conceptualized at the time of release?
Terrible idea and very disappointing to alot of players.

18 Likes

Oh noes, the teacher’s pet is upsetz!

As for OP, it makes plenty of sense for them to make the glaives DH only and for several reasons. First reason: DHs don’t have many tmog options. Second reason: They had to accomplish multiple tasks to be able to tmog them now. If Blizzard allowed them to be tmoggable by anyone, that would diminish the work the DHs had to do.

3 Likes

what work?
the current unlock doesn’t even require a DH.
(unless you want to use the appearance)

8 Likes

we sacrificed too much for peasants like you to get our warglaives

(/s)

4 Likes

I think he’s referring to the timewalking event where if you killed Illidan as a DH, you unlocked the artifact appearance or whatever it was. It’s still a nonsensical argument.

Honestly, even if they change their mind I feel like we are past the point of no return for 8.3 but 8.3.5 could be hopeful :slight_smile:

Personally, while it would mean more work on Blizzard’s part, I feel like it could be a nice compromise.

Honestly, we need more of this in terms of communication. More of “This is what we are doing now but are listening” or something.

Hehe, hasn’t worked for the Long Boi sooooooo probably not here, but here is hoping.

YEAH! Fight the Blue power! Lets flip this ASCII table, show them we mean business!

┳━┳ ヽ(ಠل͜ಠ)ノ

Err… But someone else do it, I don’t want to get in trouble. Bornakk and Kaivax have eyes everywhere and the Floating Candle has been a lot more present lately as well. If we hear the “drip drop” of candle wax we need to get out of here asap.

Okay, so it was a Rogue. I remember hearing about that back in the day and finding it so funny :rofl:

And that is the way I see it and that is from the viewpoint of someone it does not directly effect. As someone looking in on the situation I honestly feel kinda bad for a lot of players over this.

:roll_eyes: Teacher’s pet, right.

Which I point out in my thread and agree that they SHOULD get something for that effort as outlined here.

Anyway, I am not saying they should punish players who went through the original process, that’s not at all what I am suggesting.

Yeah, what Surtova said here. I mean, I also get where Veranarana is coming from but I also touch upon how to make that process still rewarding while also letting everyone transmog the Warglaives.

Bu… but I am a lowly Paladin, ma’am :frowning: I can’t even use the original ones…

/kneels down and draws in the sand, dejected

8 Likes

Because Warglaives of Azzinoth is a sword not a warglaive. And thus restricted to sword users. So rogues, warriors, DKs can weild it too. The actual warglaives is a weapon category only used by DHs but technicall mot restricted to the class DH. So potentially any class able to wield glaives could use them but its atm a DH only weapon category.

They should be DH only, period.

The fact that Blizz is taking a stand on it shows they can change for the better even if it’s not for consistency.

This may be an unpopular choice from Blizz, but it’s the right one, MVP

4 Likes

TLDR: People with poor decisions making skills make poor decisions. It’s time for Ion to go back to what he excels at and let someone else guide the overall direction. I will run a raid or encounter designed by him any time, I find myself not wanting to play a game he tries to run via spreadsheet.

2 Likes

I like this idea, making a high resolution version of them would be really nice. I don’t see why they couldn’t do it considering they already remade the shield that drops from Illidan.

1 Like

OH SNAP! I totally forgot that Bullwark got an HD remake in WoD! Thanks for reminding me, that’s another good example. Same with Teebu’s Blazing Longsword in BFA now that I think about it.

3 Likes

no body is advocating to use war glaives in general, just transmog of the blades of azzinoth for others other than warriors, monks, demon hunters, DKS, and rogues. first and foremost the blades of azzinoth are swords used and formerly owned by the legion warrior class demon Azzinoth and therefore are only “iconic” to demon hunters through illidan who himself looted them, and therefore this sets up the precedent for “if you can beat and loot it’s previous owner you can use them.”. warglaives used by illidari demon hunters on the other hand are likely ex-night/blood elf glaives which means if they’re transmoggable they should ONLY be restricted to those two elves and demon hunters, as those ARE iconic to a specific race/class.

Yet it’s exactly what Blizzard has already stated…

1 Like

They don’t have the same resource as they did in WOD (They can pull 4 set per class (PVE, PVP, Elite PVP, Mythic PVE) on top of challenge weapon in WOD season 1.

Nowadays with 800 less employee on top of having to make store transmog, i’d rather they don’t waste time remodeling Azzinoth.

Give it 1 week and the complain will die off when they see 39128390128390 people are wearing legendaries and it’s no longer cool (it never was unless you got it in their current expansion).

Good thing its a discussion forum and a place where discussion, agreeing or disagreeing, with whats happening in game can be made.

Blizzard also said, for over 10 years, they would never, ABSOLUTELY NEVER, do Classic Servers and that we wouldn’t want that. Through persistence in making opinions heard, discussing the topics at hand, ect. can pay off though and again, Classic proved that and has been a massive success as reported in their earnings call.

Just because Blizzard makes a statement today does not mean it can’t be changed later on and history has proven this over the past 15 years!.. not always for the better…

/looks longingly out the window at the removed WPvP level scaling

Said 800 laid off employees were not from the game designers, for the most part, and not even all Blizzard. The majority of that 800 were Activisison and something like ~200 were Blizzard. Most of them being CM’s, GM’s, Customer Support, ect from what information we have.

The WoW team is still just as strong as it has been and was not touched by the layoffs.

EDIT: Let me correct that. They were physically not touched by layoffs from public knowledge available. Moral is a different story though…

Yeah, because the Long Boi threads have died off, right? Blizzard has even stopped merging them into the Mega Thread at this point because people are STILL bringing that up.

People do not forget.

8 Likes

You can believe what you want but its cute that you think WOW team is just as strong as it was in early WOD lol when they don’t even have the resource to make tier set anymore, and pvp is just a recolor of its set.

They’ve been cutting corner in many aspect of this game, you can refuse to see it, doesn’t change the fact that WOD have more cosmetic reward than BFA.

I could link you 1 of their designer that got “removed” from her project and her tweet about “Blizzard is just a stepping stone to enter Riot” but that would be witch-hunting.

Well as a teacher’s pet, you should know to post this in one of the many threads on this topic that already exist… Making a fresh echo-chamber/podium is frowned upon.