Warcraft: The Animated Series?

Does anyone want to see Warcraft get made into an animated cartoon? It’ll be much more respectful towards the lore than the live action movie. It’ll most likely be on Netflix. Why wouldn’t Blizzard make an animated show based on their most popular franchise? I hear they’re doing it for Diablo and Overwatch. And they should be using the current voice actors. Whether it’ll use 3D or 2D animation is entirely up to them. Reply if you think an animated Warcraft series needs to happen.

29 Likes

Normally I would dismiss this kind of thing, but they did make that Castlevania show halfway decent so maybe?

4 Likes

It makes way more sense than more movies.

7 Likes

I want a kpop group made of WoW characters. Please and thank you.

2 Likes

A Clone Wars-esque show exploring both the universe and its characters would make a ton of sense, and probably be a lot more of a draw than the pulp novels they currently use to do so (and use as a prerequisite to understand the plot at all, but that’s another gripe entirely).

It’s honestly a wonder, with how much history, passion, and ultimately money has been poured into the WarCraft franchise over the years, that it’s never happened.

9 Likes

2D like castlevania

3 Likes

like avatar

If they include LGBT characters in like 20% of their cast, I’m on it.

I’d like to see something more along the lines of the Wrathgate cinematic.

You never know what they get up to behind the scenes, for all we know Blizzard bankrolled Netflix or created Clone Wars under a shelf company. There’s a LOT of incest in California when such things happen.

1 Like

I’ve been wanting this for years. A Castlevania style animated series on Warcraft. They even almost kind of did it with that point and click game. That would have been…a tragedy beyond all tragedies but it’s territory they’ve explored before.

Warcraft as a franchise has a lot of potential to spread out to different forms of media and an animated series seems like an obvious choice. It also seems obvious for Overwatch, and I actually remember hearing a rumor that something like that is being talked about.

I just think it would do such great things for the franchise. They didn’t have the ability or budget to make that movie do Warcraft justice-few people would. That’s a HUGE undertaking to render something as high fantasy and fantastical as Warcraft into real life.

The movie (aside from the orcs, those parts slapped) made Warcraft look like a joke. An animated series would connect more with their core audience while also piquing the interest of possible new fans. Warcraft is not mainstream, they need to accept that. The way to get new fans and to connect with old ones is to produce a limited, high quality animated series.

2 Likes

Just don’t call it a cartoon. It’s an animated series. We need to keep it among the pantheon of great, not made only for kids, animated series. Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Justice League, Static Shock, Justice League: Unlimited, Avatar: the Last Airbender, Voltron: Legendary Defender, etc. These are animated shows.

Shows where children can watch it but not some silly nonsense like spongebob, DC super hero girls, or teen titans Go! that have nothing to them except to keep kids in front of the tablet or tv. Those are cartoons.

1 Like

I could see this working best as having short self contained mini-series that take different characters/races/factions perspectives into consideration; one about the orcs settling into kalimdor or about the rise of the zandalari empire or the founding of Mechagon could all be really great.

I’ve had a storyline idea for this for ages. A bit like a Star Wars Rebels type thing.

2 Likes

Actually, there’s another way I just thought of that they could do this.

A year or so ago Netflix did a thing called love death robots, which was a science fiction anthology, with each episode being a short film with it’s own style and ideas; something similar would be wonderful and give blizzard an opportunity to seed idea’s for future projects into the consumer consciousness.

For reference:

Only if its 12 one hour episodes of just like… a rogue ganking a lowbie.

Id love an animated series. Especially if it looked like Blizzards awesome CGI cinematics.

I would love this. Honestly, I think Warcraft is much better suited to an animated series than it is live action film. Some of the higher quality cinematics are absolutely breathtaking, and if they could afford to crank out a series at that quality it would be stunning. But even if they did something like 2d animation, I think it would be very good. I want it so badly.

Not if it’s tied to the same constraints as the video games. I would much rather see something tied to the constraint of, “Make a good story” rather than, “Make something people will have to play to get the thing they want”.

I’m here to shamefully admit that I would watch the crap out of World of Warcraft Go! :joy:

Teen Titans Go! somehow managed to suck me in when I was painting my living room, and it became a guilty pleasure because I’m secretly 7 years old.

2 Likes