Warcraft is on Syfy right now

Yep.

Medivh reveals that he was able to travel to Draenor in his younger years and he got with an Orc when he did. I think it was a part of the contrived plot with Sargeras where he had to make some kind of connection between Azeroth and Draenor and Garona ended up being that connection.

It’s how they were able to rush the movie’s story when in the original game it was implied infiltration was taking place long before the war actually started.

That would be like saying “Ya know how we get more people who knows nothing about Dark Souls, into Dark Souls? Give them an easy difficulty!”.

Won’t disagree there, but also keep in mind that the 90s was very much a different time. Mario was the first. Films based on video games were unheard of back then, and frankly I think something such as Zelda would have been far more straightforward as an adaptation.

Seriously, when that film came out, you had the four original NES games (I don’t need to break down SMB2 and Doki Doki Panic, do I?), SMW on the SNES, and the two Super Mario Land games on the Game Boy. Your typical platformer with power ups and a very basic “save the princess” plot really don’t translate well.

Add to the fact that gaming still had the “kiddy” stigma of the time, and the fact that anything animated that wasn’t Disney was pretty much destined to barely break even. Animation in general also carried the kiddy label, and live action films were taken far more seriously. At that point, even if they did a film with traditional animation and straight up did a feature length film based on the Super Show with Captain Lou in it, I feel like the timing for video game films still wasn’t quite right. Plot and weird changes aside, that film had PLENTY going against it, and many live action adaptations of the time that were based on comics and animation were using Batman 1989 and TMNT 1990 as the blueprint.

Hell, while gaming isn’t seen as kiddy by most folks anymore (there’s still that subset that instantly think Mario/Sonic and not RDR2) and animation is more widely accepted as an all purpose medium (once again, still folks that instantly think of Bugs Bunny and not South Park, Rick and Morty, etc.), game films are STILL generally looked down upon, and some still have questionable changes when in some cases it should be straightforward as hell to adapt. At this point, only five films based on games have made more than $400 million at the box office, and they’ve all been in the last seven years:

• Warcraft (2016)
  • Rampage (2018)
  • Detective Pikachu (2019)
  • Uncharted (2022)
  • Sonic 2 (2022)

Even then, none are critically acclaimed, and I honestly feel like three of those solely got over that $400 million hump due to big name star power attached to the projects (I’m sure you can guess the three)

Tide is turning. I feel like the first Sonic was the start, but it really needs a big push at this point, otherwise I think we’re going to keep mostly getting half assed adaptations with no real heart put into them. I think the new Mario might be it, but at the same time I feel like it might be a tall ask.

Anyway, if anyone is curious, here’s the full list of released and upcoming films based on games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

1 Like

Way too many commercials on Syfy.

“Wouldn’t it be fun if Blackhand gets his genitals chopped off in a duel?”
-A creative decision by Blizzard Entertainment

This was… not a good movie.

Funny part he was supposed to fight that guy, but he was tierd that day and payed the guy to just do that and they left it in the movie

I actually haven’t seen it yet.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

Some of you guys are trying to apply logic to a situation where there is none. An R rating locks out the kids, and a G rating signals it as a “kids film” that adults without kids are generally going to ignore.

Granted, the G rating has really fallen out of use for the most part, but that was a key reason why so many animated films in the 90s would struggle if they weren’t Disney (seriously, it was amazing how they could avoid that)

When it comes to films, they shoot for the middle: PG or PG-13.

Once again, there’s a trope for that:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AvoidTheDreadedGRating

Speaking of creative decisions, i’m really not a fan of Gul’dan in this clip tbh. In the back of my mind, a voice is telling me “Can we have somebody write him not as a yelling orc or etc and write him more of a warlock, and have Troy Baker record his lines?”.

Say what you will about Troy Baker and how cliche it is to hire him for everything, but at least he’s good voice actor.

1 Like

…Where was i was talking about ratings?.. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Just asking, it seems honestly curious, because i was saying “everybody” as in, “anybody who isn’t a fan or interested of the thing”. Or that Dark Souls example i’ve made moments ago.

Might want to look at who I was replying to.
Is your name Briselody?

With that said, what I said isn’t wrong. Hollywood wants EVERYONE to see their film. Go to one extreme or the other and the film is either viewed as a kids movie, or it gets an R rating and you see hardly any kids there (don’t get me started on the parents that feel a need to drag five year old little Timmy into a slasher flick)

1 Like

Its a movie not game. Quit talking out of your rear. Worst analogy EVER. There is a reason Marvel Movies did so well. They produced and marketed in a way that both comic readers and non comic fans/readers would enjoy the movies.

1 Like

I know who you’re replying to, i’m asking where did you get ratings from.

The movie was a bit cringe I thought. It took itself too seriously. The orc side was good, but the villain was absolutely cartoonish and humans were very very bland. The story was chaotic and it felt like a slideshow. The human actors were also miscast, except maybe only Travis Fimmel.

In the world where Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones exist, Warcraft style just doesn’t convey serious tone well with its colorful design.

They either needed to tone it down to the gritty realistic level, or be self-aware with humor. But it turned out to be very pretentious. Watching it with regular people was like standing next to your friend who tries to impress others with the nerdy thing that is very cool in your clique, but it not very impressive for general people, and he’s not aware of that.

Great special effects with orcs though, and it was nice to see Stormwind and Ironforge on the big screen.

is a good movie. not a great one, but atleast a good one… personally, my only issue with it is that it kinda… zooms through everything, and that garona’s make-up (or was that green cg’d on?) was’nt very good… seriously, it made the green from the wicked witch of the west look amazing in comparison.

2 Likes

Just because it’s different mediums, doesn’t mean it’s fine to dumb things down. :roll_eyes:

Apparently me saying “don’t dumb things down while adapting things” is rear-talking now. :man_facepalming:

Define well, because don’t some of the fans are divided with some of the changes of adapting stuff?

See, this is why i’m against this corporate attitude of “think about the corporation”. Putting corperate interests ahead of the story. This need to appeal to everybody thing, instead of appealing the fans, because, ironically enough, that also appeals to everybody else if the thing happens to be good.

Like, i don’t even need to explain why my analogy works, do i? Well apparently i have to.

ELDEN RING EXISTS.

Making the fall of Stormwind a montage after ending your first movie with the Stormwind victory parade wouldn’t look planned, it’d look like the movie team scrambling to band-aid over their mishandling of the first movie.

So much can be changed while still being a good adaptation. But some things really need to be set in stone. Stormwind falling and the Alliance of Lordaeron forming in response should be one of those things. If they ever try again in a TV setting or something, they shouldn’t try to re-write the foundational elements, they should build from them. Along with squandering the dramatic tension of Stormwind’s fall, the movie also prevents the Dark Portal’s original destruction being the big set piece of the Alliance’s ultimate victory in the war.

It’s probably the single most unadulterated moment of Alliance victory in WarCraft’s history. Never gotten the modern cinematic treatment, sadly. Though look at that glorious 90’s CGI Khadgar. Now, they could just say in a sequel movie, “they re-opened the Dark Portal,” and to be fair the game did that with the expansion. But then the movie writers get the problem that they’ve undercut what they tried to make the victory of the first movie, and the second destruction of the portal will naturally have less drama attached to it.

That as well. It felt very cheap, like it was a school production, and they gave her dollar store teeth and colored her green.

1 Like

exactly! clearly they had the budget for the other orcs, but garona? nope! nevermind that she’s a main-character in the movie…

1 Like

You are not that bright are you? When making a movie about a game the wider your audience the movie targets, the more people go to see your movie. This isnt rocket science its simple marketing. Limiting your audience to just the players of the game is stupid and will cause a box office flop. Thats my point.

Warcraft was produced for and targeted just the players of the game. Thats why it did not dop well. Had it taken a page from Marvels book and market to anyone and everyone it would have done better

2 Likes