Warcraft is on Syfy right now

See, Stephen King movies are a good example here with this convo, because they can be hit or miss.

We’ll take the remake of “It” for example. I actually loved this remake, even though they reset the kids whole timeline to the 80’s. It didn’t follow the story perfectly, but it kept the feeling of the novel in it. Even Pennywise was more scary.

Even the Warcraft film at least felt like the WoW universe.

Then you have movies like “The Dark Tower” where all they did was took bits and pieces of a 7 novel series, left out 3 very key characters (even Oy, the billybumbler was a key character), took out any of the actual relevant storyline (Charlie the Choo-choo, again 3 MAIN characters), and used a very bad script.

At this point, Idris was the only redeeming part of those movies. I don’t think he would have taken the role had he actually read the novels though. There’s conflict between his character and another character later in the series.

They could have EASILY adapted the Gunslinger and part of Drawing of the Three into one (longer) movie (and they would have had a strong black, female DISABLED actress in the role of Detta/Odetta/Susahnah). But, no, they didn’t do that.

I never expected them to do it absolutely perfect, but what we Dark Tower fans got was just horrible.

Again, this had been in production hell since the 90’s. That’s why people were so angry about it.

Even the new version of The Stand was better (and that was a horrible remake).

Warcraft kept the feel of the Horde vs Alliance. The CGI was pretty decent on the Orcs (they actually LOOK like Warcraft Orcs). I still love the Gryphon and at least the Orcs didn’t look like some goofy CGI from the early Harry Potter movies. I also enjoyed the costumes of the Alliance, and while the story wasn’t perfect, you could tell they attempted to keep it cohesive and cohersive.

Yes, I know they changed up Guldan. From my impression in the novels, he was kind of a wuss and expected his underlings to do a majority of the actual hard work. I mean, even Megamind didn’t make his minions do all the work. Medivh was always a weird character even in the WC lore.

I enjoyed the movie for what it was. Even went to see it in the theater.

I’m just sore they left it at baby Thrall and seem to not want to try again.

At least they’re talking about rectifying what they did to The Dark Tower. I still wonder if Ron Howard would have gotten it close (he originally owned the rights).

Guldan vs Durotan made me hate Guldan a lot more. Even if it didn’t happen that way in the WoW storyline, it still affected the way I felt about him in game.

So, I guess there’s that.

2 Likes

Not necessarily, but very likely (Arthas’s story isn’t, honestly, that great).

And Arthas’s story certainly wouldn’t have been a better place to start from, as we’d have no stake in or context surrounding the actual world of Warcraft (or, the Eastern Kingdoms), just angstyblondeboy’s pretty standard corruption story to try to sell us on a world into which his character gives only a narrow and liminal view.

Moreover, it’d probably be a disservice to Arthas’s plotline, as it lends itself far better to the likes of a mini-series rather than to a film.

I actually preferred their take over what was implied in earlier (WC2 era) lore. More in line with Gul’dan’s more fleshed out origin stories, rather than defanging the Shadow Council or its members’ personalities just so Doomhammer could later take the easy win via “hurr, hurr, killed the pansy warlocks”.

I gotta be honest…I tried to watch that movie multiple times and everytime I’ve fallen asleep during it.

The movie was fine for what it was, the CGI was great.
The worst part about the movie was how obvious it was that Travis Fimmel was just there for a paycheque.

…oh and the elves, the elves looked terrible.

Blizz shoulda started the movies at WOTLK and worked forward then backwards like Star Wars

Took it this long to make it to basic cable? Bought the DVD in the Walmart bargain barrel bin for like $5 back in 2017, or 18 lol. Wasn’t that good imo. Seen a lot worse movies over the years, I guess. My opinion they should have done warcraft like Roughnecks Starship Troopers and made a tv series out of it.

It’s been on cable a few times here in the States. They just show it at weird hours.

1 Like

I really liked the movie. Ben Foster was a good Medivh, and I love Travis Fimmel :heart:, he played Lothar very similar to the way he played Ragnar, with a somewhat awkward brilliance.

He honestly seemed as good as any other in bringing out their character, if not better than most (even removing outliers at the… really not good end). Young Khadgar was more of a shoo-in for the archetype (even if not really any more accurate to lore), but I enjoyed Lothar just fine.

With Henry Cavill as Arthas

It was about 10 years too late. And along the lines of those cheesy medieval vin diesel movies back in the day. No real plot, and lack of decent acting, and writing.

It was… ok, I think the animated fan machinima is honestly more entertaining.