War Within Alpha Story Spoilers

Well then it’s a good thing that World of Warcraft was made with and maintains a healthy amount of zones catered to each faction. When there’s an Alliance city there tends to be a Horde equivalent. When there’s a questing zone for one, the other gets their own.

Guess you already have what you want.

So I can’t speak to Aion, never played it, but

ESO’s factions have not been relevant to any of the stories that game has told for years now. It was a cute idea at start but very quickly Zenimax fell back into treating the Elder Scrolls world as one big setting and largely ignores the “faction war”.

Maybe in the original release content but now? The faction war is still ongoing but BioWare, or whichever company is actually developing SWTOR atm, hasn’t been writing a double-sided faction war narrative in years. They write new story bits like a single player RPG and allow the state the galaxy, including which faction is outright winning, to be entirely determined on a per character basis. A Trooper character can save a planet and return it to the Republic while in a Sith Warrior’s story that planet is conquered by the Empire; entirely non-canonical with each other because the devs decided that it was more important to have players feel impactful in the game then try to balance the in-game factions.

Because these games give the player an agency while WOW is forced to follow a determined script.

Random neat tidbit, the Earthen upon meeting Magni in the first zone immediately refer to him as a Thraegar and seem to hold some form of respect to that title

There is also a location known as “Thraegar’s Rest” in Dornogal

Also the Oracle’s in the Exploring Azeroth book also refer to Magni as a Thraegar

i.imgur. com/SrajJYw.png - Exploring Northrend quote

Just thought that was interesting

11 Likes

The only one of these where that is remotely true is SWTOR.

This is how MMOs work by necessity. Sorry you don’t understand how they work.

ESO gives you choices too even if they aren’t as altering as they are in SWTOR. WOW is only running because of RTS nostalgia not because the story was ever good.

Well, can’t disagree with that last part.

But in an MMO like ESO or Warcraft or FF the way the game works the player can’t exactly make world altering choices like one could in a single player RPG. I don’t even think a linear RPG type storyline is a bad thing, provided it’s good.

1 Like

The horde is in this spot right now.

Suramar is a thriving nation, High mountain is doing well too, Silvermoon basically has been doing well since the events of TBC. Orgrimmar itself is probably bigger than has ever been, being the center of the melting pot that the Horde is.

Also, they were first in Azerite weaponry development in BFA.

3 Likes

Faction debate is so…2004 to 2022. Do we have to bring every thread down with such nonsense?

While we are on a faction war talk, anyone know why we decide to open a new battleground in TWW?

1 Like

I haven’t found a single WoW fan, myself included, who liked Kael getting the raid boss treatment in BC. Even Blizzard’s devs at the time apologized for that screw the pooch story moment.

On the subject of Horde mages, don’t the Zandalari have any mages? I think Talanji would want them to step up given everything that’s going on.

7 Likes

I don’t disagree in theory, but that kinda feels like an excuse to keep all our main characters weak and then not offer any explanation for why they survive, which frustrates everyone. And I don’t know if constant struggle just to keep a foothold is truly satisfying long-term play either.

6 Likes

Arathi are Half-Elves and the Blood Elves are getting a Round Ear Option suggesting they are getting Arathi just like the Alliance.

In otherwords there is a Half-Elf Empire.

Ogres seem to be building Empires all over Azeroth as well and they aren’t even native!

You might just not like the Horde.

There’s a reason Blizz created Kalimdor to be largely inhospitable and hostile wasteland for the Horde to settle on.

The Horde struggling with its past and struggling to create a foothold while the world reviles it… is literally its whole thing.

3 Likes

And that is bad. No one wants to be weak.

Then you better level up beyond level 10 then.

1 Like

Have you ever considered the world is not static and borders aren’t defined? The whole thing can be changed by writers with a different approach.

The discourse surrounding Faerin is just exhausting.

3 Likes

Twitter racists are going hard and don’t know how family names work.

I personally don’t see what the problem with Faerin is.