War of the Thorns killed the Warcraft franchise

(sigh)

Fine, I gave it my best shot. I accept that I can’t convince you that it feels disconnected and nonsensical. But it did.

2 Likes

As you pointed out how people can have different interests in what they would like to see in WoW, different people can also end up with different feelings from content that already exists in WoW.

… So are you guys being held hostage? Blink if you need help.

Kinda just bewildered at disgruntled customers continuing to pay for a product they objectively haven’t enjoyed in 3-5 years.

Like idk. Maybe hazard suggestions? You know things you’d personally like to see that seems viable?

I’m just confused by the playerbase that seem to have their day actively made worse by this product. Who continue to engage with it. That’s not a hobby it’s an addiction.

1 Like

I want that Warden set in January. And I’m happy to get another Night Elf class to play with Warlock. Just need Shaman and Paladin left. Beyond that, just waiting to see if any content related to this new world tree is worth looking into. Dragonflight has been the first expansion that I haven’t even started the content for, so my involvement with the game since its launch has been pretty minimal. I amusingly hit level 70 just from doing lingering Shadowlands content from the covenants I didn’t do on this main.

2 Likes

I literally just play this for PvP and RP shenanigans. At this point the DF story is a TV playing a movie in the background I sort of pay attention to on occasion.

And frankly after SL and BFA that’s all I want from CDev. Just some BS about dragons fighting rocks I’m free to basically ignore if I don’t find it all that interesting.

Kinda hard to do that when you BULLDOZE MY FAVORITE ZONE AND MAKE MY LEADER SEXY HITLER.

All so we could go yell at a broken AI email sorting system that was also God, I think?

8 Likes

Frankly I’m just glad SL was a MMO experience so you could turn to someone and go;

WTF WAS THAT?! Who were we?! What did we accomplish? Why did we fight Mr.Clean on a Halo Ring and, furthermore, WHY WAS I WAIT STAFF AT CASTLE DRACULA OVER IT?!

4 Likes

I enjoyed Kul Tiras, Zandalar, Nazjatar and 2.75 of the afterlife zones as well as the minor questing stories that came along with them. It was the big meta plot attached to them all that stunk everything up.

3 Likes

Complaining about a story does not mean you have never enjoyed the game in 3-5 years. Are you drunk again?

2 Likes

I maintain the Warcraft story briefly got profound by being a disobedient fairy tale in WC3.

But has otherwise basically been some Saturday morning cartoon stuff made profound by the Herculean effort of quest writers and our own parasocial attachment.

Seriously though that quest in Classic with the Forsaken hit me like a truck. To quote Monika Sengutz;

"Vorrel led such a troubled existence. And what a good mate he was…

Damn those filthy humans!

Vorrel is gone, never to enjoy undeath again. At least I can take solace in the revenge you took in his name. For that I thank you.

Now let me be to mourn…"

And in my mind’s eye I’m remembering some woman holding a ring. Being told the last aspect of her old life, the only thing keeping her together, was just confirmed not only as destroyed but killed in an exquisitely and deliberately tortorous manner.

But that was just text on screen I’m positive 90% of players didnt even read.

But that’s the power of;

As I’ve repeatedly said the only thing of legitimate artistic worth here is the world. As if this is some sorta world. Of Warcraft.

The story is dumb and was dumb. It’s the little bits of humanity that flesh out this impossible world we waste time in that make it actually worth reflecting upon.

2 Likes

I still play because I have a raid group. But I’ve checked out of the story.

6 Likes

I play because I like acting like a demonic Vegas card dealer.

I’ve tried doing this IRL but have been told to “PLEASE STOP COMING TO OUR BIBLE STUDY” and “POLICE! PUT YOUR HANDS UP”.

Some people just have no appreciation for shownanship. It’s tragic, really.

4 Likes

I play because the RP community is amazing and people often come up with better storylines to engage with than anything blizzard puts out.

The community is really the only thing that keeps me playing. DF is a good first small step in the right direction, blizz just needs to improve on it next expansion

7 Likes

I…

…laughed more at this than I will ever admit.

The main thing I got from Shadowlands is that the people in charge of that place are incredibly, irrefutably, comically bad at their jobs. All of them.

9 Likes

Just describing it sounds like a fever dream;

So anyway then I had to help the sugar plumb fairies put on a budget community theater production depicting war crimes.

‘… This is that fantasy game about being like a wizard or knight, right?’

Well yeah. But I had to work as a caterer at Dracula’s pool party to get access to cooler gear

‘… Are you having a stroke?’

11 Likes

Paragon of Wisdom: Despite all our efforts, the Maw continues to grow.

… You Kyrians are the ones who were still carrying souls to the defunct Arbiter and getting all of them sent to the Maw!

You don’t get a pass just because you’re voiced by Tuvok’s actor from Star Trek: Voyager.

11 Likes

The ending of that quest caused me to burst out laughing.

They literally just yeet this innocent man into perdition and go;

Huh. Well I’m pretty sure that’s not supposed to happen. Welp. This is above my pay grade so. I’m not gonna fix it

I think it was supposed to illicit feelings of tragedy. But something about the angels if death being completely checked out salarymen who don’t care about their job is completely hilarious to me.

And I mean hey fair is fair. Sometimes just sinking into the woodwork and doing just enough to not get fired is the best survival strategy. But when your buisness is the eternal fates of souls ya should probably give at least half of a rat’s rear about it.

7 Likes

I am still extra annoyed that Ben Howell was coded into the game as an Adventures champion, but they never actually let us get him out of Torghast or the Maw.

2 Likes

Seriously. And the kicker is the rest of that quest was extremely well done. That’s the first time I found the Scourge unironically scary.

Really illustrated that Azeroth is basically just a waking nightmare for everyone who isn’t functionally a super hero. If you don’t have any mute killing machines on hand you’re pretty much out’ve luck when this week’s walking apocalypse turns up.

7 Likes

This pretty much sums up their entire way of thinking, yes.

2 Likes

Truthfully though the Sylvanas arc was such a train wreck that in retrospect trying to work harder on SL was probably going to just be a sunk cost no matter what.

And it’s a shame as I unironically enjoyed the first chunk of SL. Revendreth is probably my favorite zone they’ve done in awhile. Seriously so much of it looks exactly like what I’d want an updated Tirisfal Glades to look like. And I love the little wacky stuff like the horse drawn carriages that will straight up run you pver.

But for whatever reason they just doubled down on the Maw and Torghast.

Torghast still baffles me. I know I’m in the miniority here but I liked Horrific Visions. Mainly because it was a method to gear up toons through just solo play. But despite having just the two maps I thought it had a shocking amount of replay value between the optional mask challenges and running them on different specs or classes.

Also most importantly they were short. Extremely short if you screwed up as a matter of fact. Torghast took forever. And most confusing to me was that instead of being one way to get gear, it was the only way to get the funbucks you needed to get 1/3rd of the way to get the best gear in game.

And then we’ve the Maw. And I get that it’s supposed to be the last place in the universe you’d want to spend any length of time but the game succeded at presenting that too well.

Idk I think something has gone wrong when the design guide says “Nope, sorry, has to be boring. Hands tied. Thats the lore”.

7 Likes