Vulpera Discussion Megathread

In Tobias, We trust!

I’ll make one, and I already have a name saved. Not sure how often I’d play it, but it would be on my character list. :smiley:

So I’ve read all 3745 posts, and from what I’m getting Vulpera are Blizzard’s Warcraft solution to these guys:
https://youtu.be/Yi2eHPKjW9k?

GET TO THE CHOPPA!
Flexes hair!

1 Like

So thinking about an allied race unlock questline for Vulpera, if they did add Sethrak to the Alliance, it should involve the Vulpera being attacked by the Alliance and Sethrak army for control of the area. They come to the Horde and Zandalari for help, and you help push them back. Realizing they’re in a bad situation, they join the Horde for survival and to keep their allied status with the Zandalari.

Obviously, it needs fleshing out, but I’m sure it can be workable.

1 Like

It seems they don’t like the alliance that much after getting attacked by them in the invasion world quests.

3 Likes

That is part of it. They also seem reluctant to engage in the Horde and Alliance war, thus it seems to me that they end up getting pushed into it beyond their control. Plus, after their pledge of support for the Zandalari, I’m sure their opinions on the Alliance have gone down even more, and the Zandalari can vouch for them and their skills to show they can be great allies in the war.

Namely their scavenging and treasure-hunting skills!

1 Like

I am in the mood for a friendly debate. I am going to present some arguments for when I don’t think Vulpera will be an allied race. Tell me why you agree or disagree. My arguments are as follows:

Lets start off with your biggest argument for why Vulpera will be an allied race:

Category 1: Resource investment

1. It didn’t take as much effort as you think

Right off the bat, since they were copy and pasted from goblins this already means that a significant portion of the work is already done. And I know for a fact that it is possible to edit and alter the mesh of models without having to redo all the animations. Since the rigging and most of the animations have been done, adding new animations would be significantly easily. Capes could have easily been taken from prexisting models.

2. Unique models are found in abundance all over BFA.

There is no shortage of models across BFA with unique rigs, textures, animations and even custom options. The Vulpera could have very easily been an afterthought in blizzards work process.

3. You can find dozens of models with unused animations

Look up the “eredarboss” model in wowmodelviewer. You will notice that it has a number of player emotes and fall emotes. There are literally hundreds of models with stuff like this. Vulpera are far from unique in this regard.

4. Gilblins have more animations than the Vulpera male model does.

And I’ve checked the Vulpera pirate model too. Although it comes close, it doesn’t quite have as many.

5. Equipment slots make sense

Since they were likely copy and pasted from goblins, they probably didn’t need to do any extra work to make this possible.

Catagory 2: The Allied Race formula

1. Intrinsic similarities.

So far all allied races have shared an existing intrinsic similarity with an existing playable race. An intrinsic similarity can either be physical, lore or by character.
Vulpera aren’t goblins. They have no backstory connecting them to goblins. They aren’t a super intelligent race. They aren’t a heavy greed driven race. They don’t seem to share the similar tinkering tendencies of goblins. They also don’t seem to have a backstory connecting them to any other playable race other than their helping the horde.

And despite Ion saying that allied races aren’t sub races, actions speak louder than words. Even void elfs are still elves and their intrinsic similarity lies with blood elves. Kul’Tirans still decent from the titans. Nightborne share the history with the nightwell and belfs similar smug nature.

2. Popularity doesn’t matter. Lore matters.

People have been asking for high elves since vanilla. Among many other popularly asked for races include: Ogres, naga, Jinyu, Sanlyn, arrakoa, eredar, vykrul and many more.

3. The possibility of Gilgoblins; Youtubers spreading rumors; Exposure

Even though not as popular, there is a lot in favor of them possibly being an allied race. The goblin model updates are going to be coming out with 8.2. These updates may also come with special additions to the Gilgoblins. It has also been confirmed that Gilgoblins will be helping the horde when Nazjatar comes out. Now I am going to leave all the reasons for why Gilgoblins are likely to happen in themselves for a different time, but the exposure factor is one thing. We are going to be heading into an underwater world and interacting with non hostile Gilgoblins which have not been seen so far yet.

These are my main points for why I think that they won’t happen under the current direction, story and formula blizzard is using.

This is not a scenario so laborious or implausible to be created and seen in progress!

The actions of the Alliance in Vol’dum, already made them intolerable to the vulperas!

At this point, with Horde helping to defend their caravans and Kiro declaring that they wanted to help the Zandalares in confronting Ally, it would be a matter of time before the vulperas could be recruited!

1 Like

Patch 8.2 Features

• There are no new Allied Races in Patch 8.2. The team will add more where it makes sense, and entirely new races (non allied races) are still better added in expansions rather than content updates.

…What exactly is the difference between an “entirely new race” and and allied race?

4 Likes

I’m going to guess that allied race is an offshoot/variant of an existing race (Lightforge Draenei) while an entirely new race would be their own thing (Draenei). I know this has been argued since BfA was announced, but it is the only thing I can come up with at the moment.

On this note. It isn’t implausible that Blizzard could come out with new races that aren’t regarded as allied races. Well have to see what happens in that regards.

Up until this point they’ve been pretty consistent in claiming that Allied races does not equal sub races.

1 Like

So far every race that has come out has at the very least been the same type of race to the AR it has been paired with and in all cases carry an intrinsic similarity to an existing one. Even in the case of void elfs. They are still elfs.

Maybe then allied races are lesser races that can easily be edited and slapped onto an existing skeleton as opposed to being completely new…though the Kul Tirans kinda torpedo that idea. (Pun totally intended)

Something like Ogres or Vrykul could be new races whereas Gilgoblins, Vulpera, and Mechagnomes could work as allied races. Then again, Ogre and Vrykul still could work as allied races given they have models already…

1 Like

Kul’tirans are still humans and originate from the titans. Now imagine for a second if they released Furblog as the AR to humans instead. Then there would be a more viable argument of allied races not sharing similarities.

Come to think of it, a new race could be one that you get right at the beginning of an expansion, without any unlock requirements, as they join right at the beginning. They don’t need to be earned or convinced through a lot of questing and rep grinding.

Then again, as I mentioned in another thread, I don’t expect a new capital, and I also don’t expect a new leveling area like with Goblins and Worgen. Do they then still start at level 1 while allied races still start at level 20 because you have to unlock them?

I’m not sure what to think, because it is very much debatable to define each type.

1 Like

HOHOHOHO! :rofl:

1 Like

Although 90% of the animation work may just be a simple retarget from the goblins, they would still have had to go through and add the tail movement. Even if it was done programmatically via a physics sim, that’s still thousands of frames of animation that have to be cleaned up after baking.

While that’s not exactly hard, per se, it is tedious and time consuming to do for a bunch of anims an NPC will likely never do.

Granted, this alone doesn’t prove they’ll be playable. I mean, it’s entirely possible some animator just really likes foxes and cooked all the extra anims during lunch just to play a Vulpera on the devkit. But either way, it’s a bunch of extra work that NPC races don’t tend to get.

1 Like

New Race = 100% new work, skeleton and animations they mean, for the others it means reusing existing models, skeletons and animations, Kul’tirans come inbetween both as they use the Pandaren as a base but required alternations plus they were worked on pretty late, Vulpera and Sethrak come under this as well but had more work put into them before Kul’tirans thats why they looked polished for release already.

Gilgoblins and Junker Gnomes would come under more likely to release due to lack of work required (copy and paste gnomes just add new jokes and voices).

Ogres would be less likely even if they used the Kul’tirans as a base unless they were worked on before the expansion or at its start (its horde so good chance they did duh).

Adding an entirely new race like say um Arachni! and not the Driders in D&D or those demon ones lol, those would most likely require new of everything since it seems to require a new model.

2 Likes