Vulpera Discussion Megathread

It doesn’t surprise me that the questions on their models were not answered. Any answer at all would likely say too much in the way of confirmation or deconfirmation about their allied race status.

Similarly, I’m also not surprised the question about the faction war was declined. Even if the answer would not directly speak to their potential as an allied race, it would probably be difficult for us as players not to read subtext in the answer.

What I do find curious is they declined to answer relatively simple questions on Vulpera history, like how long they’ve been slaves or whether they speak their own language. These don’t strike me as similarly loaded questions. It would seem that for whatever reason, the origins of the vulpera are to be a secret…

for now…

2 Likes

you might think that, but also at the same time, if they said that they did have their own language, then it’d be easier to read into them being an AR, since a lot of different species have their languages listed in the general/racial spell book portion. So that might give an answer away if they said yes OR no. As for not answering about slavery, it would then possibly direct one to think about the relationship between the vulpera and sethrak themselves, which even though it was a temporary ceasefire between them in the questing…if it was a long standing history, then it’d definitely serve to place a strain between them.

It’d be easy to ‘read into’ such answers. And they can’t really give out too much until the current ARs are released…I still think they’re really clinging onto that hype for those at present and not wanting to get other people too ahead, lest they lose subs, they want to keep people sitting on their seats if it means longer subs…

2 Likes

This is really cool, guys!
It is always good to see something about vulperas and sethraks being publicized, albeit subtly!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Hopefully, and not “we’ll get back to that once we’ve thought of something.”

1 Like

I kinda find it interesting that during the assaults on Vol’dun you’ve got the 7th legion laying siege to Vulpera Caravans. Seems they’re recognizing them as definite horde allies then.

2 Likes

After the Horde rescued the Vulpera from Sethrak attackers and slavers, the Vulpera agreed to transport supplies for the Horde. The Alliance aren’t fond of this decision so they move to stop these supply lines. It’s a fair beef for the Alliance to have, but it’s also fair for the Vulpera to want to help the Horde.

Alright, question. Warlocks as a class choice for playable Vulpera? Yay or Nay? I vote Yay.

3 Likes

I would, honestly, think so. It just seems to fit them :o

2 Likes

Don’t think so.

I expect warrior, hunter, rogue, shaman, monk, mage and priest.

1 Like

Kul’Tirans and Zandalari got their own unique dances! I think we all know what this means…

6 Likes

A desert race that will do anything to survive? I can see them having some locks.

1 Like

Oh man if they become a playable race and be horde I might end up switching sides but idk. I love worgen and Draenei but also love Tauren and Trolls. Gah! I wish I could trade items between characters regardless of faction so I could play both…

2 Likes

I kinda wish the faction walls would just crumble so we COULD be free between our characters…

4 Likes

I was considering not posting this as it was getting kind of long, but decided I worked hard on it and if there are some out there who would enjoy reading it, then that’s awesome and I appreciate it! Thank you!

This isn’t for or against them as a playable race, rather, it’s some ideas, theories and speculation that I’ve had a blast thinking of and so I decided to try and write some of it down. Mostly ideas. Thanks again!

I have a few ideas that I think are interesting and fun to think about, and if you read along, I hope you might think so too. I thank Blizzard for not revealing all the facts, for leaving room and allowing time so that story may grow, and I’m grateful for being given the opportunity to theorize about the original culture and ancestors belonging to one of their many peculiar, wonderful races - the Vulpera - and ponder, just what were they like before, and what happened to them along their journeys for them to wind up where they are now? For the very handful of Vulpera we meet today in Vol’dun, with their absence of nearly any ancestral knowledge, always in a state of survival, missing distant familial memories and seemingly without records or documents regarding their own history, homeland and heritage, still seem to radiate with a deep connection to something unseen - possibly something as profound as the forces of creation or perhaps a hidden, abstruse wisdom passed down through the ages, now dormant and needing only the proper circumstance to be awakened. A secret knowledge that in present day not even they themselves are aware of, seems to surround them. Are they descendants of a people who sheltered an ancient knowledge and art that is no longer in practice, as such traditions have been forgotten with much time and travel, scavaging and surviving? Perhaps with our help, their secrets, while missing, may not be lost forever.

Exploring the history of the Vulpera we meet in Vol’dun is paramount and vital to learning about their ancestry, culture, homeland and origination. As a story-lover I am eager to uncover their past and discover their original home, whether that be on Azeroth in a thick forest full of tall trees and cozy burrows, or hidden underground, or elsewhere such as K’aresh or possibly where the Vulpine Familiar is from (possible connection to Elune?).

I believe that we are in store for a grand story of adventure, whether during this expansion or leading into the next, where; we’ll uncover a hidden past, learn of a forgotten tribe’s ancient knowledge, embark on a journey of friendship and discover a link between a mysterious ancestral treasure and the cosmos - culminating in the reunion of the current Vulpera who we meet in Vol’dun and their original long lost brethren - who may be living on another part of Azeroth unexplored, or phased from reality by their own doing due to an incident they may have caused but could not control, or somewhere else altogether.

Some of my ideas follow.

This would be a fantastic opportunity for Blizzard to weave a strong and emotional tale involving our newly met friends, to explore their curious culture (present, previous and past), shed light on a mystical yet learned and keen race who were possibly proficient in profound / abstruse research on the cosmic scale.

Maybe in ancient times, the Vulpera were plentiful tribes of scholars; impassioned and devoted researchers of the foundations of creation; gifted gatherers of knowledge; curious observers and avid questioners, diligent yet respectful when attempting to unravel the mysteries of the primal forces / cosmos, and reverential in their methods and findings. I can see an inquisitive society, drawn to life’s puzzles, driven by their very nature to seek, experiment, solve and document enigmas. Discoveries become truths to uphold and embody. A life reflecting the balance of creation is lived in their society everyday.

Naturally curious and with a knack for cracking cosmic codes, they searched beyond beyond and within within. Did they strive to achieve harmonious lives of balance that reflects the same balance of creation they sought to find and understand? Did they seek to identify a flaw in the forces of creation, something contributing to all the duality, negativity and evil present in all life, with a hope to one day locate and correct it? As skillful yet reverential tribes of scholars and scientists, with tools both intricate and incomplex, they would study the incomprehensibly never-ending cosmos and search for ever-present consciousness. With heedfulness, the wisest and most accomplished philosophers and scientists would examine and even experiment with forces of creation. Tribes of tactful summoners and dutiful secret and document keepers adept at understanding, studying and possibly experimenting with light and void and some skilled with communicating with the entities within, might have aided the pansophic Vulerpa sages in their searches. I have a feeling their respect for learning and the examination process was unmatched and they held in high regard the art of discovery and cherished their findings. These unveiled truths become ideology and were incorporated into their lives.

With a warmth and the awareness that all things are connected and intertwined, the original Vulpera purposefully lived a life of harmony - in the hope that living by example and with good, pure intention, the peace that lies dormant in all things will one day awaken / find it’s way to the surface, be recognized, realized and manifest fully. This lifestyle is more of a tradition and value than a literal goal or religion, but it’s a philosophy to cherish, uphold and investigate in daily living and it was their way of life throughout the ages. It’s foretold, not through prophecy, nor from whispers nor by magic, but from the very outcome that their most profound research reveals, a foretelling -literally written in the stars, that the only logical conclusion is for the peace that resides in all things, will awaken. All starry roads, tragic endings, warm welcomes and dreamy wakefulness lead to an existence-wide enlightenment. The Vulpear are not just keen and thoughtful and analytical observers idly standing by as mere members who are part of this world, but by taking responsibility for what they learn, they are also avid doers. Doers who aid this process of awakening along, by taking action - by living by example. Like a softly glowing light radiating through a slightly open door, welcoming home in the dark of night; the lost, the weary, the frightened, the sad and the unaware, the Vulpera perform their own guiding part. Through peaceful living, they hope to help the awareness sleeping in most of us, wake up in the inhabitants on our warring home, and be a light in the window to usher in a peaceful existence. If this can be achieved fully, our world does not have to end, we could break the cycle of beginnings and endings, and creation, for the last time, can continue on without starting over, and without it’s flaw - which vulpera sages and theorists ponder is caused by us.

With tools both incomplex and mystical, they measure, probe, study and document the esoteric. Keepers of celestial secrets, crackers of cryptic cosmic codes, summoners carefully calling forth forces to study, sealers to imprison harmful forces such as void entities, conjurers who attempt to communicate with the light, philosophers, scholars and scientists, intricate tool-makers and watchful astrologists and great documenters. From an early age, young Vulpera attend academies by day and even study at night the stars at home, with their families. At school, their proficiencies in specific areas are identified and developed. Each young Vulpera’s is born with a gift that will one day present itself, a knack for some kind of learning or understanding that determines what tribe (colleagues with similar proficiencies in an area of study and practice) they’ll one day join, usually a tribe that their skills are suited for. A close-knit society, interacting and mingling with one another and never far from loved ones. Tribes work together to solve riddles and document discoveries and improve tools and theories. Some examiners delicately observe the behavior of order and it’s counterpart, disorder. Scientists perform methodical and heedful experiments with light and void and the various forces of creation.

One possibility which I’ll elaborate on a bit further but would like to mention now as I had fun thinking of it; perhaps during their experiments an event occurred that they were not able to fully comprehend or control, a calamity countless years ago, or they could not contain an entity / anomaly, and quickly adhering to and recognizing safety over study, had no choice but to seal away something dark. Perhaps through a final attempt, the elders and various tribes became sealed or whisked away with it during the incident, selflessly or unavoidably, in order to contain it. Another possibility which I’ll go more into later is; maybe they sent their youngest and infants away to safety and it’s those children, many descendants later, who we are meeting in Vol’dun. Maybe those of the community who didn’t agree with going any further than studious, humble research and living a balanced life with these forces, left those who were beginning to dabble in that which was never fully understood or well-documented, and from those who were beginning to attempt to control - much too close for comfort - they left. Maybe they left the Vulpera or sent their young away, amidst the beginning of what might become a dangerous and unpredictable time / incident. Maybe they didn’t approve of the in-depth studying of these forces, as they saw their society’s deeper research and attempts at controlling these forces as dangerous and having an unpredictable outcome. Possibly they broke from their tribes, severed ties and fled before something horrific would happen. Those who we meet in Vol’dun may be descendants of those who left for safety, while the original tribes may have brought upon an incident they could not predict, and possibly succumbed to the forces they could not control, such as becoming phased out of reality, wiped out, or possibly they had no choice but to seal themselves away with whatever they attempted to imprison. A dark concept that I shiver to think about, but it would be fun and suspenseful to have the playerbase assist the current vulpera in discovering the fate of their kin, and it would be gripping to find out something we could break that fate.

I believe they were studying the forces of the cosmos out of pure fascination and to achieve a harmony between all things - and strived to correspondingly live a balanced life with the discoveries they made. Perhaps they found a flaw, something that has caused, from before before existed, an imbalance in existence and a darkness that resides in all things. Their approach may have become less gentle as they became fixed on locating this anomaly and identifying this perceived flaw. The discovery, which sparked a search for the puzzle piece which they hope to locate and study - this flaw - is a defect in creation that endangers all times and spaces, realities, unrealities and consciousnesses. Theories surrounding this discovery state that we may have caused this blemish. How, if we were created so long after the birth of the cosmos? Perhaps time exists in a single moment - or there simply is no such thing as time - a concept studied in certain classes. Theorists consider that there may be a day when creation will start anew again, as it always has, and it is us through some unknown participation, who will cause the flaw during the next cycle. That is one theory of the oldest and wisest Vulpera sages, but it is one that the younger philosophers and scientists don’t necessarily adhere strictly to (though they do keep it close to their hearts, as it’s theory which has become a cornerstone of the Vulpera’s heritage and symbolizes their traditions of learning and philosophy, which their culture and is built on). That old theory continues with the thought that perhaps we will ‘get it right’ next time and aid creation with only peace so that there is no blemish next time - so that our true end and and the birth of true beginning may finally occur. Or perhaps creation will not need to start over, if we can awaken the peace and harmony in all things fully, curing the dark defect, and existence can fir the first time, continue to move on. Other theories may have included; because we (have the ability to) know, existence is. Perhaps with or without intention, and with or without sentience, reality is trying to find itself, and possibly / partly through those who (can) know. Perhaps our consciousness floats somewhere we currently do not. Consciousness trying to find itself? They were on to something.

Maybe with infants in their youngest’s arms, the Vulpera sent away their young to safety and it is the descendants of those children who we’re meeting in Vol’dun. Maybe those of the community who didn’t agree wtih going any further than research and living a balanced life with the knowledge they uncovered, left those within their societies who were beginning to attempt control of unknowable forces despite their inability. Maybe they left their fellow Vulpera or sent their young away, amidst the beginning of what was becoming an unpredictable time, and feared things might worsen and lead to a dangerous incident. Maybe they could not agree with the in-depth immersive studying of these forces, as they saw their society’s deeper research and attempts at controlling these forces as dangerous and having an unpredictable outcome. Possibly they broke from their tribes, in a sad but necessary severing of ties and fled to relocate before something horrific would happen. Those who we meet in Vol’dun may be descendants of those who left for safety, while the original tribes may have brought upon an incident they could not predict, and possibly succumbed to the forces they could not comprehend or control, such as becoming phased out of reality, wiped out, or possibly they sealed themselves away with whatever they attempted to imprison. They could even be dislodged from time.

Have they always been travelers? I doubt it. Their nomadic and scavenging ways, while adaptive and resourceful, seems too localized and quaint. They are creative with what they find and make and use, and capable of trading goods and information along their long dusty roads. They are definitely experienced in salving and scavenging and surviving in the sands and sun, but this life of theirs still to me seems like it’s one that hasn’t been lived for countless generations, unlike the many races such as night elves, pandarens and so on. They have roots elsewhere. They’d have some knowledge of where they are from and about their families and heritage before they wound up in the desert. Maybe their memories were erased or blocked for safety / secret reasons.

Have they wound up where they are due to an unforeseen / uncontrollable event? Perhaps their ancestors escaped from something or someone very long ago? Maybe the nomadic generation(s) of dune-dwelling Vulpera had their memories erased or blocked, and over the many years, they cannot remember where they are from. One of many possibilities, which I’ll go further into, later, is that the Vulpera who we meet may be descendants of kin who left the original tribe / society. Perhaps it was during a time when the Vulpera’s traditional way of life changed from humble and scholarly research to obsessive investigations. Witnessing this unsettling change and unable to convince their society of the unbefitting behavior which included delving too deeply for comfort into the forces of the cosmos, maybe a select handful of Vulpera had no choice but to leave. It may have been this fixation that lead to Vulpera researching too far and being unable to contain an incident. After much debate, pleading and attempts at cautioning the others, a select handful of worried Vulpera, unable to convince their society of the dangers, fled. Safety from those who were delving too deep and no longer living a life of balance, and fled to uphold their traditions and to preserve their knowledge and ways of balance, continuing their life of harmony from a safer distance. I’ll return to my theories and a few possibilities in just a moment, but for now I’d like to remind those who are interested that while we do get a glimpse of who the Vulpera are and what they’re cable of, we don’t know truly how they lived or where they came from both geographically and historically (making the appearance of their heritage armor challenging to theorize about, ((unless all that remains of their kind in present day, is in fact the culture of the the desert dwelling, sand surviving, savaging, resourceful, creative, capable and clever folk who we’ve recently met and are in the process of getting to know)) what their original culture was like. And sadly (but hopefully with a unique opportunity from Blizzard storytellers to explore this) neither do the Vulpera of Vol’dun. It’s a storytelling dream and both my character(s) and I are so stoked to be part of uncovering where this massive, mysterious and heartfelt tale will take us.

If not because of a society who broke apart after delving deeper than they should have, maybe they evacuated their homeland during a time of war. Azeroth and other planets are no strangers to countless wars - some larger than others. If the fox-like diety scurrying between the legs of giants during the war of the ancients truly existed as far back as then, maybe the Vulpear are descendants of him/her, and he was able to guide his kin to safety, distract, or open a portal to the emerald dream. Maybe among the many races of our special planet, they were more aware of the light and void, and better able, through a deeper connection, to commune with Naaru. Maybe through their intimate knowledge, respectful practices, focused control and balanced arts, they studied, practiced and lived in harmony with the knowledge of these forces and perhaps all/other forces, and through contacting those forces (or beings within those forces), were able to be extracted to safety or to another planet, in a time of great need, or become phased from reality, or were placed within deep slumber in their burrows underground for thousands of years, but leaving an unlucky few behind in the chaos. It may have been difficult to gather everyone in time to flee to safety in a short amount of time. Perhaps that new realm or planet became the Vulpera’s new home, and those left behind wandered and drifted and slowly diminished until we have the small handful who we’ve met today. Maybe the black empire banished them into another realm.

Perhaps they are originally from K’aresh, and during the calamity of the void’s near destruction / absorption of the planet, a few handful of vulpera, mostly children and infants, were evacuated. As skillful researchers, did they have knowledge about Azeroth and a way to get there? Had the light assisted them in travel? With the Vulpera’s knack for research and technology, and the K’aresh (etherals) magical abilities, had they co-existed and built civilizations with techno-sorcerous structures? Perhaps it was those eco-domes and technomagic barriers that held the void at bay long enough for the k’areshi’s physical bodies to be vaproized but their souls be infused with arcane without them being completely annihilated. Maybe the Vulpera were able to escape during this final confrontation as the last city was being taken over. Did they jettison pods of young vulpera through portals from their world to ours? Perhaps the Ethereals aided the vulpera in the escape. One day, if we go to K’aresh, maybe we’ll see what’s left of planet we thought was abandoned, to find that it not only clings to life but has begun to flourish over the course of many years of the void having abandoned it. And the Vulpera as well as the ethereals will be reunited with their kin. Just fun thoughts!

Will our journey lead us to a land of tall rocky spires that were once trees? Imagine if you will, your quest leads you to the entrance of a cool and howling cavern. Apprehensively, you enter. Concealed by rocky petrified terrain and a magic that now co-exists with the land, echos locked in time and rock, a memory in a perpetual loop. Perhaps Azeroth has been recording everything, everything ever happening on Azeroth has been recorded. The blood Azeroth records the voices, actions noises, whispers, footsteps, from the undetectable unhearable bubbles floating deep beneath the ocean, to the shapes of hovering clouds, to the clammer of the rise of nations and forging of swords, of kisses and screams, giggles and last breaths, and our own blood which flows from and undetermined but certain number of heartbeats. Will the Heart of Azeroth or another mystifying trinket lead us to a petrified woods, a forgotten city, buried beneath rock and time? An old home where once flourished a civilization, but now all that resembles a civilization are barely-recognizable homes carved into rock with eroded entrances and misshapen holes that were once doorways and windows, and if you listen, you may still hear echos of a once bustling society. What happened here? Where did everyone go? These stone homes carved out of stone walls were once a massive wide trees, now petrified. The only resemblance to mighty pines being their rounded shape. You realize these weren’t rocks at all, they were trees! Trees so old they’ve been petrified. As your gut settles and you tune yourself to your surrounding and wonder what happened here and how long ago, you hear something. Faint voices, some near, some far, float about you. Some sound like they are passing right in front of you, while others are quieter. They are not speaking to you, but rather to eachother. They are the voices of a people going about their normal day - but you can’t see them. A memory of the people who once flourished when this land was a living forest still lingers, despite the petrified and eroded state of the area. Perhaps they are not lost but phased just out of reach of out reality, by some accident, incident or event. Perhaps if you listen closer and follow the right echo, it will lead you to what Azeroth is helping you to find - a way to unlock the displaced and hidden Vulpera ancestors, and dislodge them from time. Just a fun thought!

I personally don’t need them to be anything other than who they are, who we already know them to be. kind, resourceful, capable and no more or less children of Azeroth than any of her other wonderful inhabitants.

I think that the Vol’dun remnants of the original Vulpera will be reunited with their kin someday - and we will not only travel there ourselves, but we’d be instrumental in assisting with their reunion, as well as witness their ancestors welcoming them home.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the Vulpera since before Battle for Azeroth came out, thinking about when we discover the home-place of the Vulpera, it might be a thick forest or heavily wooded realm with tall trees, burrows and have a very peaceful, naturey atmosphere. I am looking forward to exploring where the original ancestors of the current Vulpera we meet in Vol’dun, live. I thought the Vulpera might originally be from and ancient forest full of the tallest trees somewhere on Azeroth (Northeast or west, off the coast of Northrend, in an as of yet unexplored land of snowy woods - home to a Celtic-themed, white stag race, draped in robes of deep green and ornate golden trim, with runes and baubles dangling from shimmering string from their crowns of impressive antlers, they could be archers, forest shaman and snowy, woodland druids - home to a neighboring dwarf clan, rustic and earthy, living in small, clover-topped homes, as well as the original forest-home of vulpera, among other unmet races of Azeroth), and they still very well might be. I would love to write some of these races and stories for Blizzard! Maybe we’ll head there someday and be ambushed by tree-top Vulpera, with bows drawn and spears at the ready. And through exploring this northern forest realm, cool yet sunny with beams of light shinning through the canopy of mighty pines, and meeting all manner of folk; from the lordly stag race, and the jolly dwarven forest gardeners, to a tribe of helpful, merry tuskkar and of course the protective Vulpera ancenstors, we’ll learn of a land and a people that connects the past to the present. Perhaps this is where a forest lord in the demigod of a fox-like creature resides, hiding, or perhaps it’s here he/she sleeps, near an undiscovered entrance into the emerald dream. Just fun thoughts!

After acclimating to the desert it’s dangerous and becoming a traveling, trading, cleverly resourceful society of scattered desert dwellers, with intricate network of underground burrows and signals well-placed, well-disguised safe spots, and the fact that they’ve being gone/separated from their kin for so very long, the current Vulpera cannot remember where they are from (except perhaps for a few old spoken stories in their current culture). I am hoping we will get to see how this set up play out, and work towards aiding them in the search of finding their homeland. Maybe their ancestors burrowed long and far, maybe even deep beneath the ocean, to escape from something horrendous long ago; from the black empire, or from the Vulpera’s own attempts at researching the light and void, or perhaps from one of azeroth’s many giant battles? The current generation of known Vulpera who we meet and befriend do not really remember where they are originally from which allows a lot of room for great story telling and world exploration! Maybe the Goblins through mining and drilling and tunneling from in and around the Undermine, will happen upon a Vulperan original abandoned habitat, revealing a clue about a possible old underground civilization / petrified burrows, locked away from time by some spell, turned to sand or stone after ages of petrification. Perhaps Azeroth’s innate capacity for recording all events, will reveal what happened and how to unlock this once flourishing, wise and spirited fox-folk from their spell-stuck slumber.

With the fox-like mount arriving to Azeroth, seeking out Azeroth’s champions for companionship and adventure, it got me thinking. Maybe it’s a creature that lives or lived where the Vulpera are originally from. Maybe they are creatures from Elunaria or connected to Elune in some way. Maybe the Vulpera in Vol’dun can’t remember where they are from because where they are from is not from Azeroth - and maybe the Vulpine Familiar is a link to where they are from, what they worshiped, a creature native to their home or perhaps it has been sent to seek them out in order to reunite them with their kin, either near Elune or elsewhere! The Vulpera and/or the vulpind familiar could also be a hint/link to the fox-like demigod that may have taken part in the war of the ancients. Just fun thoughts!

The pretty pearls and shimmering moon-like jewelry adorning the vulpine familiar make me think of Elune or at least a connection to Elune in some way. Perhaps the Vulpine Familiar is a fox-like deity - worshiped or simply an animal held in high regard by the original Vulpera from wherever they are originally from. Or maybe the Vulpine Familiar is simply a respected inhabitant living alongside the Vulpera on their original ancestral home - whether that be Azeroth or elsewhere. Maybe the familiars are traveling through the great dark beyond in search of the long lost Vulpera cousins, to help reunite them with their ancestors. And if so, well, they found Azeroth, and it’s champions! Hmm…

The Vulpine Familiar travels the great dark beyond in search of champions for adventure and companionship and I think this creature is a hint that it, if from Elune or elsewhere, may have been sent by the original Vulpera who may now reside elsewhere, either after escaping from Azeroth (during the war of the ancients?) and fleeing to a safer home, or have simply always been from somewhere else (less fond of this idea). Perhaps the vulpine familiar is a creature that lives on or near the moon or another planet, where it is worshiped or held in high regard by the Vulpera who also call that place home. Maybe the Vulpine Familiar was sent out to seek the rest of the Vulpera who were at one point in time separated from the rest, with the intention to locate the displaced kin and signal back, so they may one day be reunited with their relatives. Maybe it has the uncanny knack to recognize and locate those who are from the same world as itself. It’s colors are a balanced clash of warm and cool, light and dark, as well.

I am considering a theory I am coming up with that has their history linked to the black empire, light, void and naaru, in some way. They might be connected to Elune. Possibly K’aresh. Maybe they were one of the sentitent races who fled along with the Etherals.

I think the original Vulpera, whether from Azeroth or elsewhere (though I hope they are from Azeroth, as I like that they may have taken part in the War of the Ancients and are one of our home planet’s many special races), sought out or even mastered a way to balance light and void. Perhaps at one point they were able to understand, connect with and harmonize with both forces as one, a possible hint being Shadow the Fox. Shadow’s Gift of the Naaru could signify that he underwent a process of cleansing or corruption, had been given a gift, or went through experimentation or is simply able to flow with either force - as one cannot exist without the other - further suggesting the Vulpera may have been able to harmonize and understand these forces better than most. Another therory is they evolved from normal foxes, as many of the inhabitants of our planet(s) seem to do, such as jinyu, elves, ogres, etc. Maybe simple foxes, after being dowsed/warped wtih light or shadow during a clash, evolved/transformed into the fox-folk we see today, maybne shadow is somewhere in between. Maybe there are light and dark, dawn and dusk vulpera. I just love thinking about this stuff!

Perhaps the trailer for the next expansion will open on two-sunned, arid planet. A city, not unlike the scope and scale of Suramar, with technosorcery barriers and impressive eco-domes prepares for the incoming massive clouds of dark energy. K’aresh (before they become Ethereals, as well as other sentient species (Vulpera?) brace for battle. We see the magical barriers weaken as the void bombards and consumes, and the tragic transformation of the mortal race as their bodies get vaporized and their souls get infused with arcane. With barely time and barely a body, in their most impending moment, they realize that with their enhanced mind and technomancy they are able to fend off the attack, for now. Many years later from that moment, we are evacuating Azeroth as the old gods and corrupting forces have truly outnumbered us and are taking over. To K’aresh, which is in present day not dissimilar to outland in it’s destruction yet it clings to life - as the void’s presence has abandoned it after the inhabitants fled from their home. Leaving our home and planet is the saddest and most emotional moment we’ve ever had to endure, as players and from our characters, but as the many unified races of the dissolved factions escape in the hopes of returning one day with the knowledge and numbers to hopefully cleanse the planet of this sickness, we have only, but thankfully each other. Perhaps we relocate to K’aresh, where we witness a rebuilding of the planet’s cities and homes and inhabitants, and seek new friends in the Ethereals and others. Maybe technomancy and new discoveries into the Naaru, light, void, will help us understand how to save our own home world. And upon return to Azeroth, a shocking sight both horrific and sad - a planet so consumed with darkness that we can only hope what we’ve found while away, will save it.

Blizzard has proven with storylines and art such as those from the snowy Taunka and Tuskkar tribes, the wise and shadowy Arakkoa, the embolden Quilboar and the harmonious Pandaren that special stories and unusual natures that shine in our neighboring races, are some of the best. I would be honored and excited to be given the chance to play as one of these special races. Including the Vulpera.

The thought still remains, however, that while playing as a Vulpera, you still don’t really know that much about them. That’s why I’d like to find out more, first, through a grand experience and friendship and learning about who they truly are and where they come from. Through exploring their ancestry, culture, history, and establishing a bond with them through a shared experience, as we are with the Zandalari Trolls and as we’ve done the Nightborn, we will pave the way for their entrance into the Horde and eventually as playable characters. I want their inclusion to come from a place of meaning, purpose and intent so that their presence as a playable race, as well as on Azeroth, is strong, realized and developed well. If by no small part through them the factions are dissolved - they may be playable by everyone, not just the Horde. I have a feeling we’re in for a surprise where this expansion will have more patches than what anyone has anticipated, and the story will lead in a direction not many saw coming, culminating in the factions dissolve and the Vulpera playing a part in unifying the races - to protect our home and protect any future we choose to make, we will need to become one Azeroth. Exploring their history; their possible connection to a wild/demi god, their’s kin’s ancient knowledge of creation, or some deep, mystifying yet wholly significant axiom, I feel, we will one day become Azeroth vs a dark planet.

Thanks for reading! Be quick, be clever! Peace all!

7 Likes

I can tell you’re very excited by the idea of Vulpera. Can I make a suggestion though? This post needs to be broken up, reorganized, and a bit more concise. I keep getting lost in it.

Maybe split it up how Eevee has the original post. Theories, evidence, speculation.

Maybe break it down further and group the specific theory, evidence, & speculation by number and then separate those out into different posts or by a dotted line as a break between theories in the same post, so we as your readers can take those ideas in bite size chunks and respond to each peice more logically

1 Like

Solá’s alt, confirmed.

2 Likes

Thank you! I will definitely do that from now on. I appreciate it!

Just wanted to say I appreciate the work you put in here, and give you major props. You should consider writing, at least for a hobby. Hopefully they take a look at your work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t have much to add other than I realized today that if Blizz ever confirms Vulpera won’t be playable it’ll be time for me to quit the game. Looking forward to them that much.

6 Likes

No… Just no, that’s it. No.