The state of tanking. (Thanks to everyone who responded!)

I’ve been playing WotLK for the past year and decided to level my druid via Timewalkers. Queued up today for random NORMAL dungeons and a shadow priest voted to kick me because:

1. I hadn’t been there before.
  2. I stopped to gather herbs.
  3. I asked if there were mechanics. (“Mechanics are for mythics”)

Is this what the game has become? I can’t even do a normal dungeon w/o people acting like we need to speed run everything?

Edit: I was tank and I was trying to learn the dungeon and how to tank it.

Edit 2: A couple of solutions have been presented that I will utilize in the future. My final thoughts on the matter are that is more a reflection on the inpatient players who cannot wait 10 seconds to gather herbs from downed mobs than it is of me who was gathering for my profession. Not everything needs to be a speed run, especially in a normal dungeon.

I have no further comments on the issue. Thanks to everyone who responded. Have a wonderful day.

Edit 3: Bolded the part about it being a NORMAL dungeon and not a time walking dungeon.

44 Likes

how do you know who initiated the kick?

were you a tank?
if so, it’s probably best to learn about mechanics before you throw yourself into the thick of it.

Were you a healer?
if so, it’s probably best to not linger for a herb, while people need heals.

it’s not a “normal” dungeon though… it was timewalking.
people aren’t there to rp.
they want to get in, get the biz done, and queue up for the next one.

15 Likes

I was the tank, and someone else commented about them trying to kick me. When did iit become an issue to ask for help in dungeons? When did it become a problem to gather in dungeons? Are people only wanting seasoned veterans of the current expansion to speed run through normals?

Please re-read the OP. I leveled via timewalkers and queue’d for normal dungeons today a timewalkers ended yesterday.

6 Likes

if ur a tank thats skinning/herbing you might be kicked for “wasting time”.

25 Likes

Are you the tank? If not they shouldn’t care. If you are well, unfortunately…you weren’t keeping the pace the sugar rush kiddos like.

18 Likes

as a tank you need to keep moving

9 Likes

You stopped… to gather… while you’re the tank.

You are there to lead people through the dungeon, not herb gather.

Tanks set the route, healers set the pace, DPS do their job.

Your route with random people should never be to stop and pick the flowers.

24 Likes

Not going to lie, if I saw a tank run off to herb my first thought was you qued the role to grief, and many a bad thing was about to come.

17 Likes

I wander off to do other things when it’s a group of friends, definitely not in a pug.

8 Likes

If you were tanking or healing then stopping to gather herbs was probably the problem rather than never having been there. Other people are there too and it wastes their time. If you are leveling a gathering skill, you can always run back through the dungeon after it has ended so you don’t make everyone else wait for you.

7 Likes

You just had bad luck and ran into a group that has the go, go, go mentality and I noticed this it’s often on Alliance than Horde.

You can go into old dungeons by yourself and do this, people just want to get the dungeon done and not wait around.

You can reset the dungeon to pick more if you want.

:panda_face:

2 Likes

Welcome to the war on dungeon pacing OP. Unfortunately the gogogo crowd is winning.

17 Likes

I am not the go go go type, but I am also not going to be keen on my tank wandering off to gather herbs while the rest of us stand around, waiting to see what they’re going to do.

A steady chill pace is good— which shouldn’t include my tank trotting off like:

21 Likes

When did that become a problem? Herbing, I mean?

I was the tank, yeah.

I was moving… maybe not as super sonic speed…

I get that I am supposed to lead the team and I have no problem doing so… but like… it’s a normal? I am specced and geared for tank, not dps or heals.

Ik you don’t know me but I don’t grief and I was legit just trying to learn the dungeon.

4 Likes

iirc its always been a problem because you’re “slowing down” the run.

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter. People want to run the dungeon, not watch you pick flowers. As I said,

2 Likes

not what i mean you dont stop for herbs
if you want to do that use the guild mates for that most players dont like to be in the dungeons more then they have to.

It has, most definitely, not always been like that.

I wasn’t “trotting off”… It was a mob that we had just killed.

2 Likes

So the trees in Nexus. It’s a pause that will make some players go, “What are they doing and why are we not pulling the next group?”

You can get those herbs elsewhere, people in pugs want their tanks to focus on their job.

2 Likes

Oh you’re on Moon Guard! Add this character to your friend list. I’d be happy to group up and heal/DPS/buff you in dungeons. I have a few friends who play too and we are the sweetest and kindest people you ever met. (And gayest if you don’t mind that, lol.)

7 Likes