Why are people so rude to new tanks?

Ya apparently you are not allowed to be new to the game because other self entitled people “just wanna get the dungeon over with” or “dont have time” playing a video game lol. Meanwhile, I get reported for calling something woke.

8 Likes

I’m always willing to give people the benefit of the doubt so i looked at his post history to see if he has been doing this for a few days like he said but to my surprise(not really) he hasnt been and you were wrong leading to the next question. Why even say this other than proving the OP right?

4 Likes

I’ve tanked for years. It takes a thick skin to do so and a ‘let it roll off your back’ attitude. Some have the confidence, ability and willingness to take a few lumps….others not so much.

Tell him to stick to DPS. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

as someone who runs alot of low level dgs because i know i’m trash and can’t do things like +20s, i rarely if ever see stuff like this. i can believe something like this happening for sure but i can’t believe its anything more than meeting a few jerks here and there.

really to tie your story together the tank “friend” shoulda said how the dps was at fault for all of wows problems and how they are actually toxic and everyone in the group clapped.

1 Like

Did he introduce himself as a new tank at the start of the run? When folks do that, the group adapts. If they don’t and the tank does not play “properly”, then, yea, expectations not met, spittle is going to fly.

1 Like

Hey, if your buddy ever needs a chill dps to run with, let me know! I posted something about this about a week ago and people seem to think tanks aren’t useful if they dont know their way around a dungeon.

You learn from experience and running thesr dungeons. The solution I settled on is just letting people know that I am learning the dungeon and to be patient with me. Tell your friend to not give up! Tanking is alot of fun.

The post I made if you wanna read it over.

I decided to level a fresh Guardian, and there have been plenty of very nice people the whole time. I’m not a new tank, but I did go through very drunk a couple of times, and people were still very chill with me playing with dialup brain :dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:

It’s the internet and people can let their sociopathic anonymity run wild. Could be reason why

3 Likes

WoW forums: “TOO MUCH DPS, THIS IS WHY YOU NEVER GET INVITED TO M+. MAKE A TANK AND START YOU OWN GROUP IN PUG!”

Also WoW forums: “YOU NEED TO BE GOOD AT TANKING IN ORDER TO RUN DUNGEONS IN RETAIL! STOP WASTING EVERYONES TIME! TRY HEALER!”

Also WoW forums: “NEW HEALERS SHOULDN’T PUG OR RUN DUNGEONS TO GET GOOD AT HEALING! SWITCH TO TANK!”

:face_with_monocle:

Lots of angry folk looking for reasons to be angry.

7 Likes

thats a nice strawman you’ve built there.

1 Like

As has been said already in this thread, it’s a good idea to let people know you’re new up front. I find that most people are fine with that and can be patient. :slight_smile:

It’s just that the typical leveling dungeon experience is everyone is on autopilot zombie mode to reach the end as quick as possible. As soon as people are aware that there may be something that will divert from the norm, (in my experience) most are fine with it. They just need to know it’s not going to be a typical speedrun up front.

There is also the issue of feeling useless as a low level tank. Sometimes the DPS pull threat (or pull for you), and the healer can keep them up anyway, so it can feel chaotic if you can’t keep up.

It’s a hard thing to jump into. But just let him know it’s ok, and everyone has to learn somewhere. It may be a good idea to find a group of friends to run with until he gets his feet wet, especially if he’s worried about randoms being upset with him in the future.

Nah, I think it’s good for people to know all the roles. He can do it, he just has to gain mental armor from all the nerd rage attacks. :stuck_out_tongue:

I struggled a lot with tanking anxiety in the past (I still do in newer content). But it’s manageable. It is definitely the most nerve-wrecking role to play, though.

It happens because Blizzard does nothing about it. They are only interested in the money.

3 Likes

You may as well ask why people on the internet are rude to other people.

If there are no consequences, you will constantly encounter scumbags.

3 Likes

I made a macro that states I’m new and to feel free to give me pointers. I’ve been playing since vanilla.

It generally just makes people nicer.

1 Like

I think the que system needs more options to avoid these things. Currently the only way to increase your chances of a learning group is queing for bfa dungeons( i swear every time i do one at least 3 players are brand new) and those dungeons are tuned so poorly with to mny mechanics for new players its not a good way to learn.

Having an preference options like how mythic+ has the completion, time, and push options would be nice. That and letting max level people sign up for the mentoring on alts. Max level activites on my main is not the time i want to be interacting with new players, but if im leveling alts around them im happy to help.

1 Like

I find the opposite to be true. When I play a new tank class that’s how I learn. Granted I know the gist of how tanks function… It’s my playground

You are easily tricked then.

The bfa dungeons? I generally find them poorly done since most classes dont have the vital tools to handle them at that level.

Getting chucked into atal when no one has access to an interrupt or stun for the priests channels or soloing down totems because everyone’s focusing the big guys who cant die and the constant running back usually just makes people give up.

As appose to the vanilla tank and spank when theres very few mechanics and people could focus on learning rotations or reading spells without punishment of death. But all the experienced player know vanilla is the easy to go and just burn theough them so it ends up not being a learning environment at all.

Having a seperate new player learning que option for the non bfa dungeons would be a healthy option.

2 Likes

any dungeon. I’m usually one of the impatient ones so I definitely keep up a pace but i’ve never had trouble playing with a new class due to rudeness outside 1s and 2s

It’s heroics where you’re going to find it. I’ve left many of those due to damage pulls. Not worth bribe bag

1 Like

I don’t know why people criticize players in leveling dungeons. It’s usually newbies, or people playing new characters. The difficulty has been completely ripped out of the leveling experience to the degree that a tank and/or healer (sometimes both) aren’t even needed to clear dungeons. Sometimes it’s the healer carrying damage because the scaling is completely screwed.

Now if you’re running a +15 by all means.