Vote to Kick REALLY needs to be changed

When I first started playing a decade ago, I ran my first dungeon (Shadowfang Keep, IIRC) at level 20-something, and got a group of gogogogo people who ran so far ahead of me I lost them, at which point they started ridiculing me, declaring me “a bad” (grammar fail right there btw) and then when I asked them which way I should go to catch up with them, I got a loading screen and “you have been removed from the group.”

I never did another dungeon until I reached max level, because my first impression was that it was a deeply unpleasant experience. That impression stuck, and I still generally avoid random queues.

In that other MMO that people keep mentioning :wink: you can’t just kick people from random groups for not playing the way you’d like them to. There are consequences. You can be banned for abusing the kick feature.

Blizzard, meanwhile, maintains the dudebro attitude of “git gud or harden up.”

Because there are literally no social or punitive consequences in WoW - this idea that “it’s their group so if they don’t want you there they can boot you for any reason at any time” - players with the gogogogogo mindset act like it’s the hunger games. “Screw that person, I want mine fast and I want it now!”

Barthilas is an Australian server, and NA people who end up in a group with an Oceanic person as lead seem to be rather unhappy about having to deal with the higher latency that Oceanic players dealt with (without complaining) for years.

3 Likes

Too many people bring the stupid M+ ‘GOGOGO’ attitude into random lower level content.

I should compile a list of crap that is turning people away from this game that can easily be fixed by Blizzard, and this is one of them. Go go go as much as you want in premade content, even 4 man premade + 1 random is still OK to go go go as long as your 4 man has the tank and healer.

The only way I can change your mind on that is if I kept screenshots or a recording of the run. Not only did I not say a single word for the first 2 bosses, neither did anyone else.

It’s the server I am from, like seeing people around here calling out Ragnaros and Quel’thalas. There is no reason why anyone from any server should have anything negative just because of where they are from. Every server has good and bad people, it’s no excuse.

I know people can kick you for any reason, and yes I made this thread and will make more if I feel the need to, it’s feedback to Blizzard to raise awareness that players should not be able to be kicked just because someone felt like it. There needs to be a genuine reason.

And yes I pointed out my DPS to try and who people like you that it wasn’t my performance that was the reason I was kicked, I don’t even know why I was kicked. But obviously people like you don’t care for anything outside your own personal space and just want to be negative about everything.

2 Likes

While I don’t agree with the OP, harassing people because of where they’re from is idiotic.

Blues have made it crystal clear that people can kick you for ANY REASON they want. It doesn’t even have to be a good reason. They can kick you because they dislike your transmog. They can kick you for kicks (no pun intended). It’s a crap system yes but imagine being the employee policing kicks. You’ll get 100000 reports a day and having to sift through and finally tell someone “your kick was justified”.

I’m not trying to be negative. I’m looking at what is presented and coming to my own conclusions like anyone else would when presented with incomplete information. Without seeing the entire chat log, we can only assume logically.

honestly, vote to kick could easily be resolved if they just did 2 things, increase the cooldown of a kick from 2 minutes to 15 minutes, and make it so that only the leader of the group can initiate a vote kick, as moronic as players are, you be surprised how easy it is to trick the group to kick someone else if you know they’re fixing to kick you, most players don’t even question the vote, they just click okay to get rid of the window

Increasing the time though won’t help when you have a genuine troll of AFK in your group, imagine joining a group and the healer decides to AFK for 5 minutes. Nor will making only the leader be capable to kick someone.

What they need to do is decrease the amount of kicks someone can do before they get soft locked and cannot make any more kicks for X time. It happens now with kicking and reporting players, but it takes a lot of kicks and reports before you get locked out for a period of time.

If they reduced that than players who “I don’t like your characters race” would be locked to kicking pretty fast and when they encounter a troll or AFK they will be stuck with them. Or Blizzard can just go through all the VTK’s and if they see anyone kicking more than usual have a look at the reasons and run reports on the dungeon runs to find out why.

That’s why I only do mythics when its the weekly and ya gotta do four M0s and people list for that and most everyone is over-geared and just want to get through and it nobody kicks anyone.

Simple fix: Kicking not allowed until after a wipe. Sure on rare occasion you might get a troll who takes advantage of this but if you report the troll by clicking on his name it will let you leave the dungeon and re-queue with no penalty, Doing so will also prevent that player from ever grouping with you again. Groups he starts will be invisible to you, if he tries to join a group that has a player who previously reported him he will get a message “you cannot join this group” Trolls will soon have nobody to play the game with.

When I read the OPs first 2 sentences I thought Barthilas was a country and had to look it up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeh it’s the nickname we give to Australia lol.

Also you cannot VTK in premade content, the leader basically just removes you from the group. And if you get removed from a group after the run has started than too bad. I’m talking about vote kicking players from LFG / LFR / whatever else (like IE and Warfronts).

It’s not cool kicking someone who did nothing wrong, especially not when they are literally carrying your group. Making a mistake is also not really a good reason to kick someone, people make mistakes, people need to learn. People need to chill out.

If someone wants to have a perfect flawless TW, LFR, LFD or whatever queue content they run, than run it as premade or don’t run it at all. I wiped on my TW I just done. The tank made mistakes on boss 3 and 4 in Grim Batol, I just told him what needs to be done on boss 4 and the next try we killed it, who cares, it’s like 2 more minutes of my time.

1 Like

The solution is to kick them before they kick you!

As funny as that is you are not wrong.

You are right, that is funny.

I am never wrong.

1 Like

You mean to tell me your group wiped and everyone stayed and tried again? Nobody said “you all suck!” and left? I once heard a tale of something like this happening long ago… I thought it was just a myth…

1 Like

I have seen it happen.
In Final Fantasy XIV.
But never in WoW!

Really though, at worst you will be told that you suck in WoW and then you just go on your way, I believe it is rare that people just up and leave outright.

why would they look into something that doesn’t exist

exactly. i don’t initiate vtks myself but i will always vote no if it’s a performance thing (unless it’s like “they’ve done nothing since we zoned in and they’re literally still standing at the entrance”). if the person is being a jerk, i vote yes without any hesitation.

5 Likes

And when someone in your group gets kicked you say something like “Ya that guy was terrible, now we can get this done” even if you have no idea why he was kicked, you are just glad it wasn’t you.

There used to be a system in place that the more times you kicked, the less you were able to kick. Not sure if that is still in place or not. I’m thinking not because people used to complain about that portion of VtK on the forums frequently. Not sure why they got rid of it, as abusers of the system eventually lost their ability to kick people when they really did deserve it. Maybe they should put that code back in place.

I got kicked once in IE on an heroic LFD geared alt queuing for heroic IE, you know at the iLVL Blizzard requires the content to be done. The two people who kicked me where a mythic raid geared premade who were using either an addon or a WA to report the amount of AZ gained by each player at exactly the 3 minute mark, this followed by a 10 second countdown before I was booted.

If you find nothing wrong with that than you are part of the problem.

1 Like

i agree that the scenario you described is stupid. how is it “unlawful”?

Maybe unlawful is the wrong word to be using, but I agree with the other guy, Blizzard need to look into these types of VTK and as someone said before maybe give a report or a multi choice question after you were kicked so you can provide something to look into. Because if feels bad if you are doing what you think is right and all of a sudden you get kicked.

It feels even worse if you know you are doing the right thing and someone else is being a screw up, but you get kicked, and no doubt in some of those scenarios people are being dodgy and kicking someone else before they get kicked.

Like the example of the what I linked in my OP, I was doing half the damage on the second boss of the dungeon and ended up being the only person alive, but than was kicked after the boss died.

Tooting my own horn here for once, but if I didn’t do that much DPS than we would have all wiped, the other 4 had no idea what they were doing, they didn’t hide behind the pillars when the boss was doing that AOE attack and the tank, for whatever reason, was kiting the boss away from the centre of the room like he was trying to reset it or something. How would you feel if you were the only person doing it correctly only to be kicked?

My reasons listed are exactly why they will not do this. If you give people a premade list of choice to select from for why you’re kicking someone, people will just use whatever to get the kick to begin. It’s the same as the flag system here. People flag posts they just disagree with and mark it “trolling” when there is no trolling in any way/shape/form.

Policing player-controlled kick systems is a huge task. Now, I do agree that there should be no deserter debuff for doing it. You were not deserting anything, you were kicked.

lets be honest here, all you have to be is unfamiliar with content to be kicked … or have the appearance of being unfamiliar, people are frequently jerks

the real red warning light is if it’s a group of 3 from the same server, watch out

heh, I remember one time I “had the wrong hunter pet out” and this was after pets were normalized, happens all the time

1 Like