Vol'Jin Returning? Troll Heritage Quest Future of the Character

TLDR: BRING MY BOY BACK AND DO IT RIGHT! DON’T GO BACK BURNERING HIM, WE NEED HIM TO HELP BALANCE THE FACTION LEADER POWER SCALES THIS WILL BE OUR FINAL OPPORTUNITY TO DO THAT.

As some of you know Malfurion has returned, (We should all be able to rejoice about this, for the most part).

This begs the question, when will we be seeing Vol’Jin again? As some of you may recall Vol’Jin was killed off in Legion through a very poor narrative decision. Blizzard has since laid the ground work for his return with some very lore heavy quest chains ( I still have his ashes in my bank vault). Vol’Jin consumed what was left of Rezan (Loa of Kings) Essence in Ardenweald and entered a Dream Seed pending rebirth, through a process very similar if not identical to that of a Loa or Wild God. We never learned who touched Vol’Jin with “The Hand of Valor” could it have been the Arbiter? Azeroth? How will this effect his new form?

From a narrative perspective, the return of Vol’Jin with as much build up as it has had has the potential to be a far more powerful moment than the return of Malfurion which was a little lack luster, but touching and relieving nonetheless. (Please flag Malfurion for PvP.) A concern that I have with the announcement of The War Within, is that they may be overlooking Vol’Jins rebirth.

This could go one of 3 ways

1. Vol’Jin is forgotten and will not be returning, or the quest chain they gave us was meant to be a conclusion to his story.
  2. Vol’Jin will return as Flesh and Blood as we knew him but more powerful, or possibly as a new Loa of Kings or some other kind of Loa and play a somewhat important role narratively in The World Soul Saga.
  3. Vol’Jin will return as Flesh and Blood as we knew him but more powerful, or possibly as a new Loa of Kings or some other kind of Loa and be essentially back burnered as a character outside of his revival quest chain.

Personally I wan to see Vol’Jin brought back right away, his death was uncalled for, poorly executed, the quest chain investigating his death and setting up his rebirth was one of the best quest chains in Shadowlands and I’m eager for it’s conclusion and to have him return, I do not want to see him left behind and with everything that is to come and saved as a “Break Glass Incase of Emergency” character.

Personally I don’t want to see Vol’Jin come back as some far away under used Spirit/Loa of Kings. I’d like to see Vol’Jin return as a more powerful version of himself Loa of Kings is fine but like some other Loa I’d like to see him living on Azeroth among his people, as a leader.

Furthermore I don’t want Vol’Jin to be some Faction Neutral plot device, Vol’Jin was the Warchief of The Horde and should remain if not Warchief at the very least a servant to the Horde. The balance of power between Horde and Alliance factions leaders is tilted very heavily towards the Alliance, The Horde lost and now requires a powerful leader on par with characters like Malfurion and Jaina.

I think unless they’re planning to bring Vol’Jin back in a huge way in The War Within then the time is now during the Troll Heritage Armor quest chain to bring him back, not on the back burner but where he deserved to be all along.

What are your thoughts.? I don’t want to see Blizz backburner this character after all the build up and foolery, I want to keep this discussion at the forefront, if they decide to bring him back he would need to be important to the plot for the coming Saga and since they’re writing that saga now this needs to be on their radar.

6 Likes

I’ll be honest: I didn’t read the OP. Too long lol

That said, I hope Vol’jin returns soon, half T-Rex, as the new Loa of Kings! :smiley:

5 Likes

Yeah it is pretty long, TLDR: Return of Vol’Jin has had multi expansion build up, he was done dirty, there’s a chance that even if they bring him back he’ll get back burnered outside his revival quest chain. Personally I think that would be a huge mistake considering all the potential, far as I know we still never learned who preserved his spirit and why, his return should herald huge implications for The World Soul Saga. I’m not optimistic, but I am hopeful that they’ll find a meaningful way to incorporate him into the future of the game.

3 Likes

What if he comes back, but he is reincarnated as a baby, or one of those Ardenweald squirrels?

3 Likes

I’d be open to Blizzards decision to bring him back as a baby but I don’t think it would be a good one, such a waste. Maybe a lil baby dino? I’m just hopeful with them working on the Troll Heritage quest right now that they’ll bring him back and make him fairly important. Bringing a character back from the dead should be a huge deal, Malfurion kinda just switched places with Ysera where as Vol’Jin actually died. Bringing a character back from the dead in a story is usually important to the plot so fingers crossed we can get him back for real.

1 Like

singular clap

1 Like

Yeah that was kinda my reaction too, never felt like he had to leave to begin with then was glad to see him but to what end?

1 Like

dw hes abt to go back to sleep again for another 2 expansions, get ‘sacrificed’ but dont and repeat.
guy is a trash can character they dunno what to do with him lol

1 Like

I’ve always loved how if you invade Darnassus to kill Tyrande he just stands there and watches XD I’d really like to see them flag Malf for PvP in Bel’Ameth but i know that’s too much to ask…

I laughed and cheered when he didn’t show up after Ysera left. I groaned and booed when he did show up. Go away, silly ManBirdStag!

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong but Malfurion never died but Volj’in did. Malfy was just trading places with Ysera for a few minutes then she went back to where she belonged.

I don’t know if Volj’in could come back for any length of time but if that’s the lore that Blizzard is going with…

Please for the love of An’she let us trade Baine for Cairne.

4 Likes

this gave me a mental image of vol’jin with really short t-rex sized arms

3 Likes

Vol’jin has been back. Guy is busy and doesn’t have time to make appearances at your bday parties.

Your opinion of his death doesn’t change the fact he is dead.

I’ve wanted to kill Malfurion for a long time, but his NPC is a total pacifist.

Absolutely this.

Post was more interesting than I expected. I wonder what they’ll do with him. Hope the don’t screw it up!

I could have sworn that I helped Bwomsamdi turn Vol’jin into a Loa…

Maybe I am misremembering the Ardenweald and Maw stuff.

1 Like

Malfurion didn’t die, he just stayed in the SL in lieu of Ysera.
Vol’jin, on the other hand, did die, and was cremated, so, unless he returns as a Loa at some point then there’s no way he could realistically return (especially "as Flesh and Blood).

I wouldn’t mind Vol’Jin being brought back as Loa of Kings as it would complete his Shadowlands storyline, give him a place of honor and because, without a Loa of KIngs, troll paladins/prelates make even less sense than they already did.

As for what part I would like to see him play… I would like to see him used as an occasional quest-giver for significant questlines and story climax back-up, so somewhere in between option ‘b’, having an important role, and option ‘c’. back-burned.

The reasons I would not want to have an important role is because:
a) he would no longer be one of us but a god so he should be focusing on a different realm of things
b) I don’t need another character shoved in my face all the time
c) I don’t want to see him sacrificed again for story reasons (and you know that would happen)

They couldn’t even bother to bring back Anduin or even use Turalyon for the human heritage.