Vol'jin and the hand of valor storyline?

I completely forgot about this, just like Blizzard.

1 Like

I am going to be honest, I totally forgot about the Hand of Valor thing.

Honesty, Odyn or Eyir makes the most sense to me. Eyir wanting revenge on Sylvanas.

Not that really matters at this point. Dragonflight doesn’t seem like it will have anything to do with all that.

1 Like

It’s covered in the Night Fae campaign, they wanted to use the Grove of Awakening to return to life. While we ultimately stopped them and killed their leader, some Drust were seen exiting through that portal.

Vol’jin was killed before Sylvanas attempted to enslave Eyir.

Remember the order of events was:

• something (implied to be Mueh’zala but nothing outright confirmed) ensured Vol’jin died on the Broken Shore.
  • Mueh’zala then tricked Vol’jin into naming Sylvanas Warchief.
  • Mueh’zala then attempted to throw Vol’jin into the Maw.
  • The unknown hand of Valor prevents this by saving Vol’jin.

That doesn’t rule out Eyir. Vol’jinn dies, Sylvanas attempts to enslave Eyir. Eyir saved Vol’jinn.

1 Like

And Vol’jin was brought back after, during BfA.

Well, his spirit was in the mortal world for a bit anyway. We didn’t actually save him until SL

True. I meant Vol’jin’s spirit, since Bwonsamdi didn’t even realize he wasn’t in the Other Side.

1 Like

My understanding of things was that Vol’jin never directly entered the Maw. However the method in which the Hand of Valor saved him put him in this limbo state until BfA, where we were able to help him and stuff.

1 Like

Supposedly Bwonsamdi had already taken Vol’jin to the Other Side instead of letting him go to the Maw. Then Vol’jin wasn’t there any more.

Maybe it was the Winter Queen who saved him? She didn’t seem too suprised when Vol’jin suddenly showed up on her doorstep or about the whole putting a mortal soul into a pod meant for wild gods/loa.

She was like It’s never been done before, no one is sure what is going to emerge, but go for it

1 Like

didn’t we bring Vol’jins urn to Bwomsamdi and that’s when he realized his soul was missing?

3 Likes

The hand of valor could be the Light, now that I think about it. The Val’kyr are warriors of Light.

No, Bwonsamdi hadn’t taken Vol’jin to the Other Side. The fact that Vol’jin hadn’t been in the Other Side after his death, is what allowed Zalazane to escape and attack the Darkspear again.

Bwonsamdi knew he was dead but also knew he wasn’t in the Other Side. For some reason he came under the impression that Vol’jin’s spirit was bound to his urn because he directed Talanji to bring Vol’jin’s urn to him, and then was surprised that Vol’jin’s spirit wasn’t within it.

That then lead to the séance, where the contacted Vol’jin spoke about being lost, how other trolls were lost, and directed us with killing G’huun. Though it’s not explained what role, if any, G’huun had in Vol’jin’s plot.

A Light entity saving Vol’jin would be interesting and combined with Vol’jin now having Rezan’s essence, which gave the Zandalari their paladin powers… I guess Vol’jin’s awakening is when we will get Darkspear paladins.

2 Likes

This is not accurate. It was Vol’jin’s absence from the Other Side that also let Zalazane out. Not that Vol’jin hadn’t gone there in the first place:

Ol’ Vol’jin not be dancin’ in my house. I not be seein’ his spirit for a long time.

This indicates that Bwonsamdi had Vol’jin’s spirit in the Other Side for a time.

Thanks for the clarification.

You know I actually wonder if Bwonsamdi has ever actually lost a soul under his care or if it was just Mueh’zala stealing them from him. Like we know that Zul’jin is in Revendreth and it was generally accepted that the Arbiter tossed him there, but what if it was actually Mueh’zala who delivered him to Denathrius, so that the Sire could harvest his anima.

3 Likes

There were some Troll souls in Bastion and the Maw as well, so we know Bwonsamdi couldn’t actually keep all the Troll souls, as it was a strain on him to grab the ones he was able to.

However, in that same Vol’jin quest in BfA Bwonsamdi remarked how Mueh’zala was going to be mad about Vol’jin missing, which suggests at that point Bwonsamdi didn’t know Mueh’zala was working for the Jailer. So it is plausible that it could have been Mueh’zala who took Vol’jin from the Other Side, possibly to throw him into the Maw like Mueh’zala did to Ashamane, only for the “hand of valor” to save Vol’jin.

1 Like

He learned about Mueh’zala working for the Jailer the same as the players did, when they discovered Mueh’zala antics in the Night Fae campaign.

1 Like

I don’t think she was hiding anything. It was clear she wanted us gone due to Talanji bearing Bwonsamdi’s mark (thanks Rastakhan). So I doubt she would tell some of what she knew. As it could mean we might return if we get new information or something. And she doesn’t particularly like us, mainly horde (thanks Sylvanas).

Although that could be a reason to tell half-truths.

2 Likes

That’s certainly a distinct possibility. But she was nowhere as hostile as the Lich King was. He almost immediately threatened to turn us into scourge members if we didn’t leave quickly.

tbf Bolvar did say, “leave and never return” at the end of Wrath. He invited DK’s during Legion and he only tolerated fire mages messing around in ICC as it saw it as good entertainment. Whether or not they succeeded.

2 Likes