Vol'jin and the hand of valor storyline?

Did we ever figure out who was the Hand of Valor that “saved” him or whatever or is this just a scrapped storyline? last we saw Vol’jin he was going into a wild seed to be reborn as the new Loa of Kings since Rezan was near death and gave his power to him, but again it was never revealed who exactly “The Hand” is

Edit: I would also like to mention how even Eyir mentions that the power that brought Vol’jin back and made him this powerful (Pre Rezan loa power up) was beyond her doing, she also states that whoever did it is not the same person who whispered to him so she has a bit of an idea of who it is I would assume

4 Likes

I don’t believe Blizzard even knows. Vol’jin felt like an afterthought in Shadowlands.

17 Likes

It’s never actually revealed who it was. Which is kind of sad, because I was curious to find out who stuck their neck out to save him

11 Likes

It feels like the hand of Valor was Rezan. But they never said for sure. It matches his golden glow.

4 Likes

The closest I could think if it wasn’t Rezan would have to be Odyn, due to Odyn involvement with Mueh’zala and his eye in the Maw. Odyn’s Val’kyr also seemed to be able to freely travel between the Maw and Azeroth.

5 Likes

I initially liked the Ardenweald questline but the unresolved stories really got my goat. Vol’jin primarily being one of them. I’m REALLY hoping they don’t forget about him.

At least my guy sleepin’ soundly in a seedpod, 'cause he deserves that bombastic nap.

7 Likes

The only reason I don’t think it would be Odyn is because Eyir says that whatever Vol’jin has become is something that is beyond her doing, and since Odyn can’t actually travel to the shadowlands/ and the lesser Val’kyr aren’t as powerful as Eyir I don’t think they could’ve done it

5 Likes

Yeah, it would have to involve Odyn’s eye somehow, I think.

Eyir doesn’t know and the two death Demi gods didn’t know (Bwom and the Lich King), it couldn’t have been rezan, he was near death when we found him.

Could have been a force of life perhaps that intervened for whatever reason

2 Likes

No we did not. According to the speculation section on his wowpedia article.

• While Mueh’zala was confirmed as the one who encouraged him to name Sylvanas Warchief of the Horde, it is unknown who it was that saved him. It may have been the Arbiter recognizing it was not his proper time, or even Rezan, based on him declaring Vol’jin the future of their people.

Though it’s possible that Blizzard will reveal a new character was involved within it, possibly as a way to ground the next chapter of the cosmology story over how disconnected Shadowlands was.

2 Likes

Not at the time Vol’jin Died. Rezan was still perfectly fine back then, I suppose. Part of me think it was an abandoned plot thread from when they were going to make Elune be on Team Light.

4 Likes

Oh right. I forgot Rezan doesn’t die until mid way through Zandalari questing

At the very least, Eyir didn’t want to say any more than she did.

1 Like

Which led me to believe at the time that she was definitely hiding something from us.

1 Like

One thought I had right now was that Odyn was too embarrassed that his eye was being used by the Jailer and didn’t want anyone talking about it.

Odyn seemed ignorant of its use in Shadowlands given how legitimately outraged he seemed, which makes me doubtful he had any idea the bargain he truly made.

They seemed to scrap a lot of Ardenweald content, given the drust plot went nowhere. It is possible the Hand of Valor plot arc was also a victim of that.

5 Likes

Yeah. Considering how arrogant he is, that would have been a massive blow to his ego when he found that out.

2 Likes

Odyn didn’t know what his eye was being used for though

1 Like

Speaking of the Drust, I’m still sad that plot line never went anywhere in Ardenweald. I really wanted to learn more about them

3 Likes

Given Odyn was using his eye to peer into the Shadowlands, that doesn’t seem plausible.

As Micâh pointed out, Odyn has a big ego, so I wouldn’t put it past him to pretend he didn’t know to try to save face.

1 Like