Void vs fel magic

Which source of magic is more addictive, desctuctive and powerful in lore?

Plus question: Do affliction warlocks use void or just shadow magic? their spells look different of shadowpriest one. it looks like more purpleish

I’d say fel is more addictive and directly destructive. Void magic doesn’t addict so much that it corrupts. As with the Light, the Void is more of a semi-sentient force than Fel; it has its own will, so to speak.

As far as power goes, I think that largely depends on who’s using it.

They’re the same thing.

2 Likes

Fel is known to be very addictive, but both are corruptive influences. Which is stronger is hard to say. I think it depends on the strength of the caster who uses them. Fel and Void actually work very well together, warlocks and even the Legion regularly use both.

Void and shadow magic are the same thing, just gets called different names. Warlocks are drawing from the same Void source that shadow priests are.

1 Like

There are good guys who use void magic. But I think all fel using characters are evil (at least the ones I can think of). So the fel is worse for you.

Both Warlocks and DHs use fel magic. While some of them are certainly evil, others are more of the “fight fire with fire” types.

4 Likes

Any non-evil warlocks in the lore? DH is a new addition, so you might be right there. I’m pretty sure Illidan uses fel (?) and he’s one of the good guys.

The current members of the Black Harvest (the Warlock order from the green fire quest line and the Legion campaign). They fought the Legion just like the rest of the orders.

4 Likes

There are atleast a few Warlocks in the covenant from Legion that are overall good guys.

One of them was a human warlock. He was a mage previously. All of his friends were killed by the legion. So he wanted to understand the power of the legion and why it happened. He became a powerful demonology warlock basically as a way to coup with the loss of his friends.

2 Likes

If shadow and void are the same thing based on the image you provided, then why do the undead use shadow?

Why do warlock, dk and shadowpriest spells look so different

Why couldn’t they? They’re raised via necromantic magic but that doesn’t mean they’re restricted to it. Death is fairly close to the void so it makes sense that it’d be a common source of power for them.

Different uses. A tomahawk and a splitting maul don’t look too similar but they’re both still axes.

3 Likes

Neither,

Fel is like an addiction like steroids,

Void is powerful at the cost of your mental sanity,

Both are corruptive,

Both seek to control its current host; Fel mutates your body to be more demonic, Void makes you feel like a puppet to their respectful masters (Void Lords)

I used to cult void (affliction) but I discovered that fel (Destruction) is more sexy.

I prefer to burn my enemies down than making them crazy.

Join us! join to the fel side now :smiley:

1 Like

I like fel (and fire) but shadow is probably my favorite school of magic. I like the aesthetic and the whispers when you cast a spell. I wish destro was a mix of fire and shadow!

It was in the past whe you had shadow bolt, incinerate and shadowburn

Fel.

Sargeras’ whole plan was to combat the void using fel.

4 Likes

I think if you look at the Cosmology… Um I read some a few years back that affliction warlocks draws power from the Elemental Force of Decay that directly connects to both the Void and Death… in the Cosmology wheel. Talk about the best of both worlds if you ask me! :muscle: :sweat_smile:

Hence (IMO) why they can do Void shadow magic and a bit of Necromancy (at least in the original WC) too…

However I have not kept updated if Blizz change this lore, so take it with a grain of salt… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

FEL! FEL FEL!

FEL DESTROYS ALL! :smiling_imp:

So warlocks are the cool boys because they manipulate the void and the fel at the same time. Edgy!!!

1 Like

They struggled for years to separate the themes of affliction and shadow priests. I think the current canon is that they use fel to weave curses.

Also important to rememember, that void and shadow are technically two different layers on the cosmology chart. Fel and void do not mix without destructive results, but i think fel and shadow blend in a more stable way.

2 Likes

Fel mixes with everthing for DESTRUCTION IS THE DESIRED RESULT!