Void Elves are still Void Elves

Or rather, they’re getting the inability to show their void all the time, like Alleria, who only turns blue when she’s overcome with the void. I don’t even remember Umbric becoming permanently blue in the unlock; he’s just that way in the game.

1 Like

“Thank you, Void Elf” ~an NPC in Wrath, in events that happened like 10 years ago before Void Elves even existed.

I have no problem discarding the entire Champion of Azeroth fantasy. I’m just an Undead Warrior no one cares about. Players can exercise their suspension of disbelief for a lot of things, like a Highmountain Tauren or Nightborne character going through MOP or WOD stories even though it’s chronologically impossible.

Game will always treat them that way, but they can definitely headcanon their character if they want to.

I just assumed he doesn’t know how to yet and Alleria might just be teaching him greater control over time.

3 Likes

They can roleplay whatever they like, yes, but that’s always been the case.

2 Likes

Indeed, the premise of a Void Elf as a race is their evolution through their exposure with the Void, otherwise Void elves wouldn’t be a race, they’d be a class, and they wouldn’t have any void-related racials either.

4 Likes

That’ll be enough for some, and insufficent for others. I think the whole thing is a fine compromise, personally.

3 Likes

It’s strictly a response to the high elf thing that everyone keeps screaming about, people need to stop overthinking it.

Rather than add a new race that’s basically just another flavor of blood elf, they gave them the skin tone.

I mean. I’ve said before. This is just my take.

People should feel free to head canon anything they want. It’s their head canon. I don’t care what they do with it.

My though is basically what Snowsong said. If I play a void elf with a normal skin tone, that character is still a void elf to me because the way I’ve interpreted the lore I’ve seen is the new customization is just a void elf that’s showing less visible corruption.

That said, if some one wants to use the new customization on a void elf or a blood elf and play a high elf. That’s fine with me.

3 Likes

Precisely. We’ve seen plenty of elves, humans, dwarves, so on and so forth throughout the years utilize the void. If that’s what someone wants to play as, that’s perfectly reasonable, but I don’t think there’s any official interpretation to be had here on normal skintones meaning not-a-void-elf.

Otherwise we’d have to consider Astromancer Solarian the first official Void elf in WoW.

“This blood elf mage sought arcane power in the Void. Did she find it… or did IT find her?”

1 Like

For real. This whole situation has brought out a lot of folks that are apparently trying to police how/what other people roleplay and even as a non-roleplayer it’s pretty gross. Let people pretend their character is a high elf already.

2 Likes

As an example, I swapped to Horde for a few weeks and kept the same character. My roleplay profile ambiguously read “Elven”, and I was technically a Blood Elf, but my character was a Void Elf using an illusion to hide her corrupted appearance. Very fun!

Why does that bother so much?

(Commentary): I mean… in the end there are two reasons. The first is a general reason coming with all customizations. “More customization is better! Let the player express themselves through their character with more options.” The second reason is more specific to Void Elves and Blood Elves. “We wanted to give Blood Elves blue eyes, and needed a compromise to make that work.”

I just think of it as high elves being the umbrella term for all of them. The majority started calling themselves blood elves to honor their dead. Some kept calling themselves high elves, which later served to differentiate themselves from blood elves after they allied with the horde. And now some call themselves void elves on account of their exposure to void energy. It’s really not as complicated as some people try and make it.

1 Like

These are Void Elves who didn’t undergo the same transformation ritual, yes (like Alleria). If they did, they’d be blue, like the rest of 1st gen Void Elves.

I’m not sure why this is so controversial.

2 Likes

NO! No, no, no.

There are already 25 quazillion threads on this. Shame on you. No more!

1 Like

I do enjoy that it’s basically a bunch of people arguing over which headcanon is the best headcanon.

3 Likes

So I guess the point is, people can interpret whatever they want based on what we have seen.

Racials and racial abilities are not defining characteristics of what a character is, they are just gameplay mechanics. Just like so many other things in this game. Sunwalker Tauren Paladins, Priestesses of the Moon, Undead Priests using the light, heck playable Nightborne look nothing like their NPC counterparts. There are inconsistencies riddled throughout the game, because they are limitations of the game, not everything has to be so gosh darn literal.

There are Alliance high elves in Telogrus Rift, playable void elves are getting high elf customization, therefore it can be inferred that the newest class of void elves are Silver Covenant, Vereesa Windrunner, Quel’Danil Lodge, Stormwind living high elves.

If anyone has an issue with that, no one else cares, that’s why you play your character and other people play their own. :joy:

2 Likes

Don’t bring me into this. I said you can have your head canon as long as you don’t try to write off someone else’s. xD

Go play your high elf or regular skinned void elf, or arcane/holy/fel blood elf, or … I dunno…really short night elf with a skin condition and ear surgery.

Or your human with really convincing cosplay…

It’s easier to RP as an wildhammer then a high elf since they don’t use an fundamental magic that shows curruption (Enthropic embrace is a big one here) And we have yet to see any hairstyles VE will get to show they are high elves, since it is said BE chosen to have more “aggresive” hairstyles then HE

2 Likes