Void Elf-High Elf Customization Thread

Eh I think that by parameters of self-immersion you can do whatever you can, even if you personally like to go as close as the lore as possible. You have the tools to represent whatever already existent fantasy is present, such as a Silver Covenant High Elf, a Highvale, or one of Alleria’s Rangers. Not unlike you can use a Mag’har Orc to play an Outland one.

Alliance High Elves have existed since Vanilla, they are a part of the in-game universe, so the additions to the VE model really just make possible to play a fantasy that already exists.

Of course, the issue is how divorced any of this is from any gameplay support. We have the options to fulfill that fantasy, but the game itself doesn’t acknowledge it in its text. The question will always be how much of an issue this is personally.

In which case, I would like mostly that High Elves were to continue to be addressed within the narrative, specially what their relationship is with Void Elves. Would be kinda lame if just when players can actually represent that fantasy that High Elves stop being represented in the narrative.

IMO, maybe the best way to move forward would be by having High Elves working alongside Void Elves, addressing the fact that while many have been started using the Void, many don’t, yet they still work together, much like non-afflicted Gilneans and their Worgen counterparts.

In terms specific to gameplay? I would like if you could turn off/down the effect of entropic embrace, and maybe the choice to at least change your character nomenclature to “elf”.

But if the Playable Race always remains “Void Elf”, that’s just part of the gameplay conceit. As long as we get given tools to portray another fantasy, that is more than fine for me. The recent addition of Dark Ranger skin customization really showed how few limitations the gameplay conceit actually imposes. You can have an undead elf despite that fantasy not matching the text of Blood Elves as a playable race, and even raising lore questions that haven’t been addressed (undead elven paladins) because the priority was to give players choice.

So yeah, best case scenario for me at this point would be High Elven lore continuing to develop, ideally as part of the VE narrative, and a few more tools for personal immersion such as Entropic Embrace and nomenclature.

Kinda not even bringing up customization options because I do think you can totally harken to High Elven aesthetics from a VE legacy standpoint, they share the same cultural throughline- This is to say, things as markings, warpaint and braids would make sense for a Void Elf as well, as it’s also part of their cultural heritage.

A new questline for these would be ideal NGL. The Dark Iron one wasn’t even that long, and boy we DO need some Void Elf content.

if they showed up on the trading post I wouldn’t be mad either tho.

5 Likes

This new feature makes me hope for a lot of things !
We could have recolors of the VE armor.:drooling_face:
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2022/50/2/1670946338-20221213-131008.jpg

5 Likes

We can play almost all clans, which is very good. The Mag’har Orcs are a high value player race because they have been taken care of.

:point_up_2: EE-removal and race title aren’t really necessary at this point but very welcomed, if they should ever arrive. But other races don’t have these either and what a few childish people on the forum tell isn’t really worth mentioning if it hadn’t blown this much up on the internet the past half decade.

These look actually good.

2 Likes

Oh that would be so swell. Specially for the Heritage sets that already have recolors in the game files, such as the LFD and the NB one.

That’s what I love about Mag’har orcs, you can use the to play almost every Clan that has been shown in the lore.

Yeh. It would be one of those things that would be appreciated, but really aren’t necessary. I do wish WoW kept improving in regards to customization, but that’s an overall want rather than just HE/VE specific.

5 Likes

I keep seeing hints in-game for a Void/Light Expac in the future and it slightly concerns me because I wonder how it will be for Lightforged Draenei and Velves, obviously I’m sure you will be able to choose whatever side you want if it’s faction based but that will still feel weird.

4 Likes

The Horde has Blood Elves, with the whole Sunwell thing, and several races with shadow themes, with the Forsaken likely taking a front on that part. It’ll be fine.

4 Likes

I know but what I’m saying is it will be weird to have players playing as races that are inherently light/void infused in an expansion that might possibly center around choosing a side

Like having a LF Draenei pick the Void Side or a Void Elf pick the Light side idk

2 Likes

Iirc there’s a quest or NPC diaglogue with LFD and Void Elves collaborating and the LFD are somewhat impressed with the Ren’dorei’s ability to harness the Void in a similar capacity as they themselves harness the Light.

So I do see them working together to combat the Void Lords with their own respective abilities.

Alleria and Turelyon will likely rally both groups together, politically speaking.

They are also both members of the Alliance.

4 Likes

Oh! My apologies.
I’m used to that coming from another… perspective.

I’m actually excited for that.

Can I toss the bone of Arator embracing both sides into the mix, becoming the first Void Elf Paladin too?

Balance in all things.

7 Likes

Hm…that’s an interesting take. I could see it happening like that OR going the other way entirely: Light vs Void causing faction rifts and even cause Alleria and Turalyon to break apart for a while

Oh god and then I see Anduin being the uniting force bc he has darkness and light inside him wait :skull:

5 Likes

That would also be amazing to see, and I very much hope they do something along those lines for when we do indeed get Void Elf Paladins :purple_heart:

I definitely do concur with Vapyr in the desire to see Arator be the one to take up the Void, perhaps balancing it with the Light, and join the Ren’dorei, his mothers people.

6 Likes

Anyways, dropping these two in the pop culture references for hair styles bucket here (again? idk.) for us so we can get something that works for the parent and the subrace.

Blood Elves got Sephiroth.
Let us weeb out too. Later already has the whole toggle thing sorted out.

The men are in desperate need of longer hair styles in general.

7 Likes

Yes! They could definitely use more regal and anime inspired hairstyles. :purple_heart:

I’m personally obsessed with pink and blue hairstyles done up odango style, also very much drawing on anime :hugs:

5 Likes

We desperately need more hairs for all races. I also hope Velves get some unique hair assets soon like a lot of other AR got last year

8 Likes

We really need more customizations, the other BFA allied races too…

I don’t know what Blizzard is planning for the Void Elves but it’s really weird that they haven’t received the full pack like the other Legion allied races.:thinking:

11 Likes

I can’t help but feel it’s because they’re hoping to eventually do both Blood Elves and Void Elves at the same time. They’re the exact same model and skeleton, unlike Nightborne, so it’s just a no-brainer to do the race that’s the same but different “themes” at the same time next time they have some major relevancy. (Or, close to each other. Test drive a few things on one before working on the other right after.)

But that’s just tin-foil on my head.

We’re getting something eventually though. We’re the most popular allied race tied with Zandalari, different sources that track the API have us flip-flopping for the overall spot, overtaking several OG races. It’d be a waste to not give us - and Zandalari, who just started getting a trickle of stuff - proper stuff. And I don’t think anybody reasonable considers copy-pasted assets to give a subrace that should have been there since day one to be a full pass rofl.

10 Likes

I think so too, it’s obvious that void elves and blood elves will always be linked by their customizations.
They will necessarily share basic Thalassian elf stuff like the ear size option for example.

3 Likes

Makes me think (hope?) VE’s will at least be given new hairstyles and stuff like jewelry/markings when the rest of the AR’s do.

Like I can see why not new skin tones or hair colors because BE inheritance, but stuff options that can go over it and change the look.

7 Likes

I mean, they’re already hinting at sharing hairstyles across blood and void elves, much to the dismay of a certain group we all love.

Apart from blood elf hairstyles, it would be really cool to see actual new hairstyles, both “normal” and gothic/void ones.

Also, what happened to Lightcrown ? I thought she would be ecstatic to know there’s a void elf NPC with regular skin and hair colors but she just never came back.

I wonder…

6 Likes

A minority group does not matter in the grand scheme and fate has shown this. In the end, it’s a game and not a life and death situation.

From a developer’s perspective it’s make to pair the high/blood/void/etc.-elf customization together, because it’s saves on time as well and they could use assets on all the models together to some degree and save on time and money.

6 Likes