Void Elf Customization Thread (Ascension of the Ren'dorei)

Thank you :heart: I find you very reasonable and civil as well and I really hope both races will get more customizations come 9.2.5 so we can all look fresh for 10.0 :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Shouldn’t you be linking a Dark Ranger video in the Dark Ranger thread instead?

All elf threads look the same.

5 Likes

That’s probably why we get so much high elf stuff in the (For the Void Aspect) thread.

Gets annoying that people see “elf” and just stop reading.

6 Likes

yeah, lol. sorry

2 Likes

No worries.

Here’s the Dark Ranger thread in case you don’t have it bookmarked:

2 Likes

its me. :smiley: i made the header for this thread. :smiley:

3 Likes

deleted and moved it to dark ranger thread

2 Likes

Thank you for that by the way. Love that header.

3 Likes

Been updating the Megathread. Here’s the current list of suggestions for Void Elves.

Void Elves

Void Elves are currently in a unique spot with recent High Elf themed additions, but they did not receive anything new related to the Void theme yet.

The best path going forward would be to add more Void options, or things that work with both, as well as differentiating them more from Blood Elves.

Void Elf Suggestions

Markings/Corruption

• Tattoos/Markings like Alleria, in multiple colors and in Void and Non Void Options.
  • Dark Voided Skin/Eye options of some type.
  • Entropic Embrace customizations. Including Changing and Disabling the effects, or making it permanent.
  • Scars/Void Marks.

Tentacles/Hair

• Add Tentacles for all haircuts that don’t have the option to toggle them on.
  • Void Themed Ivory and Charcoal Skin Colors
  • Void Inspired hair colors and the ability to change Tentacle Color
  • More hair styles, preferably ones that aren’t greasy looking, and ones with the Tentacle Toggle in mind.

Artwork and pictures

Alleria’s Tattoos
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9NhIwMWYAABDqX.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9L1fMXXEAEkY6D.png

Alleria Tattoo Concept for Void Elves by Keyboardturn
https://twitter.com/keyboardturn/status/1364942239592456193

Hair Styles (by Lu0ren)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FCdmZhfWUBYmlA8?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FCUpSwJWYAQtdC_?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_J3rAfXEAQd9wx?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-X5nF0XEAYOtkH?format=jpg&name=large

How’s it seem?

3 Likes

I personally dislike the idea of disabling the effect. One of the best things about Entropic Embrace is that it has a striking visual. Compare Mag’har, who’s racial Ancestral Call has only a minor blue glow and icon above the head, and only during the activation. For the rest of the duration there’s no display, and it’s super boring.

If it were my list, I’d probably have that point as something like “Entropic Embrace customizations, such as new colours and the ability to select hair and skin separately as seen in Alleria’s Void form.”

As for permanent EE, I could see that as a barber shop option rather than a spell, so that it would display in the Armory and on the log in screen and such. The current EE skin and hair colours are technically counted as NPC options in Wowhead’s dressing room for example.

I also remember someone suggesting an optional visual for EE that involves tentacles bursting forth from the body, which would allow it to retain a display even if you go with permanent EE skin and hair colours.

I don’t know that greasy is the best description. I don’t find the hair I’m using to look greasy for example, just kinda messy. Granted I’m using a blood elf colour, but still.

One idea I had for this is a kind of purple fog effect over our gear, similar to the Shadowform effect Priests get, but without turning you into a ghost. This would allow us to at least come close to how Alleria’s gear changes colour when she goes Void form.
Here’s a mockup I made for the idea: https://i.imgur.com/AAfrOQZ.png
(I also have glove separation on that mockup if that matters)

3 Likes

I tend to remove the option to turn it off as far as “void” options as that is more a high elf request than it is a void based one.

Like Somand said I might change the wording here. I know many dislike our hair and apply a “greasy” moniker to it, but I often feel that’s rooted in hate for void elves.

More and different hair options are entirely valid but folk don’t need to be needlessly hostile to our current available hair styles.

Other than those two things I like your list.

I need to add this to the main post.

5 Likes

That just happened to be on Drede’s general list, rather than being a point for this thread specifically. I was just stating I dislike the idea is all.

2 Likes

Aye, if Drede means that list to include high elf requests then leaving it makes sense.

I agree with your other reasoning about it and if he is going to change it I’d label it more as you did in your post.

I just didn’t want to repeat it again.

2 Likes

Today is my birthday so I thought I’d talk about something I’ve been thinking for void elves.

I guess more a headcanon than anything else. I usually keep most of these sorts of thoughts to myself as folk can be easily annoyed by the wrong one and I just don’t generally want to deal with that sort of thing. This one though probably wont cause that sort of issue.

The idea is about void elf priests and what they do or function as in void elf society.

I have this idea that void elf priests effectively work as counselors keeping an eye on other void elves for signs that they’re losing the constant battle between the whispers and themselves. I have it in my mind that like any other priest their primary way of doing so is just to talk to other void elves from time to time about how they’re doing and let them all know that they can come to them if they begin to feel concerned or like the whispers are becoming too much.

When they do find someone has fallen to the whispers or is straying too far from the path, they dispatch a priest of two to collect the void elf and bring them back to the Telogrus Rift to help them recover. Ranging from significant efforts to just talking more with them until they find calm again.

These priests are trained in further ways to calm the whispers and shield others from them giving them some extra control and willpower against it so that its less likely for a priest to fall, especially in the efforts to recover other wayward void elves. If one should fall though the void elf priests take great care in recovering their own to try to help them and failing that kill them to protect other void elves.

In some cases when a void elf really loses it and is entirely a lost cause the priest order has a special group dedicated to effectively assassination and quickly dealing with them with as little impact to the world of Azeroth as possible. They need to maintain control so their allies don’t decide they’re too dangerous to be kept around after all.

So uh…yeah. Thats the gist of my little headcanon idea about void elf priests. They help to talk and keep everyone from losing it and when they do lose it they fairly harshly recover and retrain void elves. If thats not possible they’re not above killing the problem.

9 Likes

Happy birthday! :heart:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Well it is a strong visual option indicator, but some people simply do not like the big purple wash or wish it was a different color. Even if they like the void themes.

This one’s tricky because it all comes down to personal taste. But I genuinely agree with all your points.

I will work the wording to include something like “less glaring options” rather than disabling.

Something like that could work, I will toy with it. It does border on my “Don’t directly tell the artist how to do it” philosophy but I can adjust.

Depends how they want to do it. I liked the “Eternal Embrace” Glyph idea myself as it feels more like you are embracing the void in you rather then getting a tan and a haircut at a barber shop.

One thing I would like to add to this is the “Making it permanent” applies to any changes you do the appearance as well. So if you made it blue or darker you could then make it permanent.

Might be a bit too much to ask?

Like Professor Putricide but Void? I could see that maybe.

Another idea was Dark Naaru/Void Walker wings like the heritage armor.

The biggest complaint that I see is that they all look like they have WAY too much product in them or that they all have a slicked back look with people wanting more variety, including more shaved hairstyles and some braided ones.

Do Void Elves have a single braided hairstyle? I can’t remember any… or more then 1 tied back look for both genders…

I will work on the wording.

It’s actually not a High Elf request and more allowing people more control over the visuals of their character in general. (Which is something Blizzard needs to work towards)

EE is just a particularly strong visual and taste varry.

But I can see where people are getting the idea it’s a pure “High Elf” addition so I might steer away from that to consolidate the request for more “Void Stuff”.

Happy Birthday! I like the concept.

2 Likes

Had to double check the males because I never play male void elves. No, void elves don’t get any braids.

2 Likes

Seems like the easiest hairstyle to utilize the tentacles…what a missed opportunity.

2 Likes