Veteran Account, can't queue for BGs?

Hello, during the trial weekend I leveled a couple level 20s for the purposes of playing with friends and getting my pvp fix once in a while until I resub. I never had this problem in the past and was able to queue up no problem, but today being my first day trying it out, I now get an error saying “starter characters cannot perform that action.”

Is this a bug due to my account converting just a moment ago, or is this how starter accounts work now?

Well if the free weekend is over u cant do anything over lvl 20 which includes BG with lvl 20 or higher.

1 Like

Did you freeze the XP gains on those 20s before the event ended? If so, I think that is the reason behind not being able to queue.

1 Like

Huh? That makes no sense. Starter characters can be up to level 20. I’m saying I can’t access features I previously was able to on this toon. At the same exact level as before.

No. If I wasn’t on starter account I’d be able to level, if that’s what you’re asking

Switched to mobile. I am that 20 on this thread :sweat_smile:

I have a friend whose account is inactive, but he has several level 20s that he continues to run BGs with. In order to be able to queue for those BGs, he has to make sure that his XP gains were not disabled (via the in-game NPC).

When he has game time, he freezes their XP gains so that they don’t accidently level. One time he forgot to re-enable their XP gains (via in-game NPC) and had to have Blizzard help him.

That is why I asked what I did.

3 Likes

Interesting, I see what you’re saying now. I did switch to xp-offf to stay 20 before sub ended, but disabled it before the time ran out again

Might be worth waiting for the servers to reset tomorrow too. If it’s still not working then, you might want to double check that your XP is indeed turned on. I mean, you can double check that now really, but I wonder if the server maintenance might clear this up too.

1 Like

Yeah I appreciate the insight. I checked and I do indeed have my exp gain enabled. Technically speaking.

I’ll play the waiting game then unless anyone else has more ideas

Is it just BG that your having issues with you could try a full UI reset https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7549

2 Likes

Yeah I think its just BGs, all the normal restrictions are in place like they should be.

No one is saying “starters cant pvp anymore” which is nice, so I’ll assume it’s a bug. I 'll try the UI reset as well - thanks

edit: Resetting didn’t help. Also, I noticed I can still interact with the experience eliminator npc and spend 10g each time to “enable exp”. Just wasted 20g trying it a couple more times, and each time it asks if I’d like to re-enable exp gain. I think my toons bugged yep.

2 Likes

I heard that if you gain experience beyond the level you are locked at (20 for a trial, 110 for a non-bfa account), that your character will be unusable without upgrading your account. I don’t know if this is true, but I did hear someone say it.

That would have to be some fancy coding written in to account for licenses that have only ever been starter editions, because you can bank up to 10 levels worth of experience to help nudge you towards an upgrade.

Licenses that lapse without time are exempt, for clarification.

1 Like

Hello, I am trying to que into a battleground and it is giving me the error "Starter edition accounts cannot perform that action.

My account is not a starter edition, I believe it is around 8 years old at this point. I recently let my sub run out for the time being and I am having issues doing things that I should be able to do on my lvl 20s.

Saw another post yesterday about this, but technically all accounts revert to starter editions when they go inactive.

Not sure if the queue is a recent change though.

1 Like

I have been told by several people to put in a ticket and they will remove the starter edition as there is no reason for it to be on there.

That’s a little different than what you’re referring to in your original post. If you have a starter account that you never added game time to, there’s an automated system you can use to remove it from your battle.net account.

Having an account that’s currently un-subbed. When that happens, as Kozzae pointed out, the account goes back into a starter-restriction mode where you face the same restrictions as a starter account.

You definitely doesn’t need to remove their account :wink:

Edited as I didn’t realize I was already replying to the OP! Thought it was the other similar thread.

Edit #2 - Now Kal’s just messing with my head!! Haha!

3 Likes

Hey folks,

I went ahead and combined these topics since they’re essentially the same thing. This article will have some steps you can try and also allow you to contact a Game Master if those steps do not resolve the problem for you.

3 Likes

What you’re saying is wrong.

My account is I believe 8 years old. If I unsub why would my account revert to a starter edition account? That makes absolutely no sense as it has not been a starter edition account for years.

3 of my friends subs just ran out yesterday and today and they were not flagged as starter edition. So I don’t know.

Thank you Kalviery. I will try to re-enable xp on my level 20 and see if that allows me to que for a battleground.