Very toxic and racist community

Hahaha, thats actually something I hadn’t thought about. That’s actually interesting. Not good ofc, but interesting to think about. Cheers.

2 Likes

Craziness! I got friends from all races, countries and walks of life. Sounds like bad luck and a buncha disrespectful kids!

5 Likes

That’s rough. Well, yeah I can’t say I’ve run into similar people personally. I’ve been in plenty of disc groups with south american/aussie/american/etc and mixes of anything in between and haven’t had these types of experiences so I can at least say it’s not representative of the whole community if that helps at all.

My instincts strongly insist there is a lot more to this story. That’s always the case for people that mysteriously seem to be toxicity magnets. That, or this is just a very anecdotal rant.

19 Likes

try being a woman on the internet. between the hate from certain men, the women who will knight said men about how they’re the #1 dps ever in the world and have never met anyone who would ever do such a thing… yeah. better to just play male toons and not talk to anyone in voice at all in pugs.

9 Likes

Whether or not the OP is being truthful or entirely forthcoming with the story doesn’t matter. What they say happened is certainly possible to have happened as I’m sure it has happened to someone in every internet environment and it isn’t the norm here just like it isn’t the norm anywhere else.

4 Likes
9 Likes

I dislike Orcs and Goblins. So I guess I’m a racist too

6 Likes

Does the mature language filter, or whatever it’s called in the ui not block most of the words that would be considered racial slurs? Years ago you would see that kind of trash talk in general, and trade chat. Thank the titans for that filter though.

1 Like

There has literally always been a toxic people in the community and virtually every gaming community has toxic people. This must just be the first time you’ve ever noticed it. I remember this type of stuff back in TBC.

2 Likes

the worst kind of racist, sir. an anti green racist. :frowning:

3 Likes

Planet Earth. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

8 Likes

I’m not sure what your point is. Every trait and quality possessable by a living thing is a target of someone that doesn’t like it. That’s not just women.

3 Likes

If it’s set but never had to before, and it doesn’t apply when you have to use discord to raid with them.

I’m not so bad I love you Tauren and unless you attack first I pretty much just wave at you when I see you. My Heart Won’t Let Me attack a gentle Tauren unless they start it.

So I’m not that bad

1 Like

I mean, those small quotes out of context don’t sound great but if you bother to read (my posts can’t speak for the other person’s) I don’t believe I said anything incorrect.

Yeah, I have seen some people use colorful language but no open racist comments. I am really trying to give the OP the benefit of the doubt but I have never seen this in any group, raid or guild I have been in.

1 Like

Some people use terms as part of their normal speech and shouldn’t always be taken as hate speech. It probably is very disconcerting to people who don’t live on the internet and aren’t used to it.

2 Likes

Yeah. I totally understand that point. It absolutely isn’t okay to be used in either context in my opinion. The frustration I have is that people attempt to equate the two clearly different behaviors.

I hate that I end up sounding like I’m defending it in any way cause I’m not. I’m just tired of nuance in all situations being completely lost.

Those who come by it and are disconcerted due to not being exposed to the internet much are generally less of an issue than those that choose to ignore the fact that nuance is possible.

That’s my take anyways. Cheers.

Whereas I have, but very rarely. About 6 months ago I invited a guy who had recently returned to the game to come along with one of our guild groups on a couple of M+ (back when I was doing them with the guild) to get him some gear. He was of Lebanese descent and his conversation style for that ethnicity was obvious. In our Guild discord chat a couple of the younger males started making jokes about him and it did not go down well with me and the GM who asked them to stop. The player couldn’t hear them but I found it distasteful because they thought racial jokes were very funny.

I didn’t see the humour but it did show me that even in a good guild, some players see that sort of behaviour as acceptable.

9 Likes